The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 16, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

We... understand that... the Canucks KILLED the Virtanen penalty right?

Virtanen has as much to do with the loss because he took that penalty as Gaudette not scoring in game 3 from the press box.

Hughes took a chance and that chance works 99% of the time.

If your uncontested 1D is in the deep end of the offensive zone, game’s wide open no matter how you look at it.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 2

Now we see what Green is really worth. The Blues matched us, they were rubbish in Game 1, better in Game 2 and by far the better team tonight with a couple of little tweaks. I think we need to do the same now, Green's got to try something new. We're getting slaughtered 5-on-5 and now there's less PPs, we're getting exposed.

Top-6 have been decent, Loui was pretty average tonight and I really think Motte with Horvat would work (but will never happen), and Virtanen is never getting a top-6 look now. I think Gaudette would really bring some energy into this team at the expense of say Virtanen or Roussel who's been terrible quite frankly. Defence was surprisingly solid, Stecher just played far too much. I'd play Fantenberg in our top-4 because he's been brilliant defensively, so get the minutes around:

Edler, Tanev and Hughes all around 22-23

Fantenberg - 18

Benn - 17

Stecher - 16

• Like 1

Big picture as @Jack Fig mentioned, man these young players are learning a ton what it takes to be in the post season.  Losing can often serve as a good reminder how to respond for the next game.

Side note: starting to really see who are the players you can win with and trust in big games and starting to also see some of the players you may want to move on from.

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

He has been bad for so long now. Outside of his rookie year, Boeser has looked slow and his shot is completely gone. When did we last see it? 3 years ago almost. 

Those trade rumors popped up for a reason. Health is a major concern

12 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Why not?  Those are all facts, we took the champs to OT and could've won it.  

I thought one team fought hard and the other team didn't work hard enough and relied on elite goaltending to bail them out. There was about 10 minutes of the team playing the right way. Not good enough. 

There's games where teams have no business being in a game and this is one of those games. Fortunately Markstrom made his job look easy tonight. 

Actually that's not fair, I thought the defense worked hard. I thought our forwards took the night off. Bo, Eriksson, Roussel, Boeser, Miller, Virtanen and Beagle all took the night off in my opinion. Bo put in the work in OT and the first half of the first but that's not enough. The boys were tired and didn't dig deep. 

I don't mind poor execution, I mind poor efforts. 

1 minute ago, vannuck59 said:

What better way to get his feet wet , you dont think he is good enough

He’s turning into a pretty good prospect and while I think the experience would be nothing but good for him I think it would expose our team and frankly I couldn’t see Green playing him more then 5 minutes if he had to play. Guys like Mac and JV have size and experience. I agree Mac didn’t have a good game but I don’t buy it that JV has a bad game.

However I’d like the see Gaudette back in the line up. He would be fired up and I could see him scoring a clutch goal in a playoff series 

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Now we see what Green is really worth. The Blues matched us, they were rubbish in Game 1, better in Game 2 and by far the better team tonight with a couple of little tweaks. I think we need to do the same now, Green's got to try something new. We're getting slaughtered 5-on-5 and now there's less PPs, we're getting exposed.

Top-6 have been decent, Loui was pretty average tonight and I really think Motte with Horvat would work (but will never happen), and Virtanen is never getting a top-6 look now. I think Gaudette would really bring some energy into this team at the expense of say Virtanen or Roussel who's been terrible quite frankly. Defence was surprisingly solid, Stecher just played far too much. I'd play Fantenberg in our top-4 because he's been brilliant defensively, so get the minutes around:

Edler, Tanev and Hughes all around 22-23

Fantenberg - 18

Benn - 17

Stecher - 16

This series is very much like canucks regular season. They will go as far as Markstrom plays. I don't think green will switch anything up.

How many high danger scoring chances did we have tonight? 

If Markstrom plays like Markstrom, we'll keep them to 2 regulation goals. The question is, are we generating enough to score at least 3 goals? 

I think yes we are. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well the reality is that when you lose your big top 4 RD that logs a lot of 5v5 time, there's always going to be a struggle whether the forwards are supporting or not. The quality drops and while Stecher is all heart, he's not a quality top 4 dman. Throw in Benn, who played fine, but isn't a solid puck mover and there's always going to be a bit of disconnect. The forwards are not going to always be able to come back as a full unit, even harder so when our system doesn't roll 4 lines equally. This could be seen as a flaw for the system in place, but every system has their pros and cons.

We weathered the storm for the most part and almost finished in OT. Could've been worse. Hopefully the Blues are going to be a bit gassed for tomorrow and we take advantage.

I agree, I just want more of a team effort. My worry is that the team is gonna be even more tired tomorrow as it's a back to back and we just spent 70 minutes bag skating.