The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 19, 2020 | Canucks lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

Think the refs said it never crossed the line.

I wasn't sure at the time. The one behind the net waved it off right away, but it was never explained if he was saying it didn't go in, or if the buzzer had gone off before it did. The explanation after the review was "time had expired", but I don't know that it proves anything.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I wasn't sure at the time. The one behind the net waved it off right away, but it was never explained if he was saying it didn't go in, or if the buzzer had gone off before it did. The explanation after the review was "time had expired", but I don't know that it proves anything.

The ref added "the puck did not cross the line" as well.  I remember saying to my wife "well, that was direct in order to remove any hope for St. Louis."

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I hate kicking a guy when he's down. But Loui, really? I think it was middle of the second period. Eriksson gets a pass at centre ice. The Blues were trying to regroup and only one defenceman about 10+ feet away. The guy gets the puck and dumps it in, and skates to the bench. He could have skated for 3-5 seconds more and would have had plenty of room to take a shot. 

Defensive play? Or just doesn't care enough to try? It just ticked me off. 

I think he follows orders... Especially after what's happened before. B)

Listen to what Green said about shortening the time between changing lines. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Didn't look like it to me....but I've only seen the replay they showed right after....

Yea it's closer than I thought on. The crossbar threw me off a bit but it all comes down to camera ang to say for sure. My point is (wether that crossed or not) that the way we played in the last 6 minutes is just looking for a heartbreak against a team like the Blues. I'm not saying forecheck all 5 guys but 1 guy should be trying everything to get that puck instead of looking at the puck carrier until he sees an open man. Their net is wide open in the final 2 minutes there should be more drive to get the puck and finish them off instead of just hoping good defence and your goalie can fend off a 2 minute onslaught from the defending champs. Who have recently tied us with under 10 seconds in game 2 because we played that way down the stretch. We won that game in OT but still.. I find we have more fight 4 on 5 than we do 5 on 6

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

The ref added "the puck did not cross the line" as well.  I remember saying to my wife "well, that was direct in order to remove any hope for St. Louis."

I missed that. In my defense, it seemed like CBC was a bit late in hitting the mute button. (or the zebra was)

1 minute ago, Toews said:

When that puck went in off of Benn and over Markstrom's pad, I thought here we go again... Then that bogus penalty call gave them the PP and they scored, I thought that's it, they will never recover from this. To have the resiliency to come back and score three goals, lose Edler to a freak accident and still pull through. That's resiliency that I never expected to see this early. I have always been conservative about our chances considering the inexperience of our core. They are showing us that we have a lot to be excited about going forward. Its not enough to just have talent but you have to have some heart and these group just has it in spades. Win or lose I will be cheering them on all the way to the end without any reservations. Go Canucks Go. 

Throw on the black skate and let's get us a 94 run with a better ending!

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Brock Botanen said:

Yea it's closer than I thought on. The crossbar threw me off a bit but it all comes down to camera ang to say for sure. My point is (wether that crossed or not) that the way we played in the last 6 minutes is just looking for a heartbreak against a team like the Blues. I'm not saying forecheck all 5 guys but 1 guy should be trying everything to get that puck instead of looking at the puck carrier until he sees an open man. Their net is wide open in the final 2 minutes there should be more drive to get the puck and finish them off instead of just hoping good defence and your goalie can fend off a 2 minute onslaught from the defending champs. Who have recently tied us with under 10 seconds in game 2 because we played that way down the stretch. We won that game in OT but still.. I find we have more fight 4 on 5 than we do 5 on 6

They definitely had (and blew) chances to clear the puck near the end there. I think there might have been a bit of the "here we go again" mentality. Players tend to make mistakes when doubt starts to creep in.

It's a learning process and all players go through it. Hopefully a lesson was learned last night.

• Like 1

For some reason, I was less stressed for this game. I had just assumed STL would take it to them, and they did, except Markstrom saved their bacon over and over. Thank Benning for him. It was a great result, and hopefully they can put away the Blues on Friday. Awesome to see Motte play so well and be rewarded, and for Jake to finally contribute. Losing Edler and Myers - is a huge blow. Well...hopefully Edler is okay. Tomorrow's game should be fun, STL will be playing desperate, dirty hockey, so I hope the Canucks can weather that storm and finish them off. I wonder if the "home team" will end up winning a game in this series?

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Just watching some replays again.  I like watching the plays again when the emotion is gone just to see what is happening around the play.

Cant believe how good Hughes is.  When he crosses the blue line you can see how the Blues go on high alert and they all start backing in.  Totally apprehensive to attack him because he will turn on a dime or find an open man.

I think he is our best player.  Pavel Bure, in my mind, is the greatest player this franchise has had.  I think Hughes can take that "title" away from Bure, and the more I see this kid the more it seems it wont take long.  Having a d man that can generate so much, and can actually defend, is something we have never had.

Yes I have to admit, my biggest concern was his ability to defend considering his size. While I don't think he should be a PK guy, I think he has done admirably 5v5 and can handle some big minutes.

Fantenberg stepped up in a big way in Edler's absence last night. Going to be interesting if we decide to try and keep him (I imagine Benn would have to go to accomplish this) or hope our youth can take over.

• Cheers 1