The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Tyler Toffoli trade is busting hard for us

Rate this topic

CanucksFan8353

Before the injury, the trade was looking really good for us. Schaller (wasn't much of a loss/factor for us), Madden (liked him and looked promising, but FAR from a sure thing), a 2nd and a 4th (ONLY if TT signs an extension) for a Top 6 player who put up 10PTS in 10GP really isn't too high of a price. Need to remember that our prospect pool has improved significantly the last couple years. At some point some of these prospects need to be used to improve the roster and move this roster forward. Not every single prospect will make this team or pan out. There just isn't enough room for everyone. We still have guys like Pods, Hogs, Lind, Lockwood, Big Mac. Even now it is hard to see all these guys all playing for us in the near future. I hope so, but more than likely a couple will be moved along to improve other aspects of the team. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Madden's ceiling projects to be a middle 6 undersized winger. You can't have a 150lbs C in the NHL. We have a ton of wingers. Loved that trade and we gave up a very reasonable price for a top 6 RW 2way vet with cup credentials.

Loved the trade then, still love it now.

Don’t write a prospect off in order to justify a trade. Madden in only 20 he will still put on weight. He’s listed at 156 at which Braden point is only 10 lbs more than him. When we drafted EP he was only 161 and today even after his captain america summer he’s only 176. And even if he doesn’t stay in center  we don’t have the many right shot wingers in the system.  Lind is the only prospect real prospect we have that’s a right shot, so I’m not sure if we we had expendable depth in the position. 

Tyler madden has very good potential be a very good NHLer for a very long time.  It was a really good pick for a 3rd rounder. But... and this is the argument people should me making.... Toffoli (even In the short term) fit the needs of the direction the team is currently in. While he got injured, he does help make us better on paper, which is what JB’s goal is to do. He had the potential to help this team get the extra playoff experience to understand what it’s going to take to become a winning team.

That’s the value of toffoli, we gave up a high price for him but a price that this team needed to pay if we want to consider ourselves near future contenders.  

• Cheers 2

I would hit the undo button on this trade. I am fairly sure that Benning would too if he had 20/20 hindsight but remember we made this trade because of Boeser's injury. Right after Markstrom got hurt as well so the value that Benning paid was for Toffoli to play those last stretch of games which obviously the pandemic wiped out. Also the cap remaining flat made it even more of struggle to retain Toffoli long term which was definitely a consideration when this trade was made.

I feel like Schaller would have been interesting to watch in the post-season, the reason he was even signed by Benning is because he had a stellar run with the Bruins the previous year. It would have been interesting to see if he could replicate that success. Madden and the 2nd were obviously useful futures which we could have used to go after an even bigger target in free agency or next deadline. But its kind of pointless crying over this considering how much this team has achieved. I am never one to deflect when this organization deserves blame for poor decision making but this is not one of those scenarios.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Benning haters are really reaching? 

Pettersson leading the league in playoff points.

Hughes 1D-ing himself by the minute.

Captain Horvat leading a series win against the Stanley Cup champs.

Markstrom becoming Odin.

Miller showing how to play in the playoffs. 

Everyone following suit.

...but Madden...

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2

I wouldn't normally pile on but this is so stupid it's actually quite funny and I've got some time to kill.

So, just so I've got this clear, the trade was a mistake because...

We needed "the defensive depth that Tyler Madden would offer"

Toffoli is "likely done like Ferland" - concussion of the foot?

If we could "ice a healthy roster" with Toffoli "we'd be storming to the Cup for sure right now" - oh so you're saying it's a good trade, just unlucky?

If Toffoli was actually a good player he would have magically avoided injury during playoffs - ah I see, it's a bad trade because JB forgot to check Tofu's "sixth sense"?

:picard:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I wouldn't normally pile on but this is so stupid it's actually quite funny and I've got some time to kill.

So, just so I've got this clear, the trade was a mistake because...

We needed "the defensive depth that Tyler Madden would offer"

Toffoli is "likely done like Ferland" - concussion of the foot?

If we could "ice a healthy roster" with Toffoli "we'd be storming to the Cup for sure right now" - oh so you're saying it's a good trade, just unlucky?

If Toffoli was actually a good player he would have magically avoided injury during playoffs - ah I see, it's a bad trade because JB forgot to check Tofu's "sixth sense"?

:picard:

CONCUSSION OF THE FOOT!!!!

LOL!!!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Robert Long said:

this has a good chance of working out well. We don't know that it is a broken foot, could be a bone bruise. I suspect thats what it is since he has tried skating on it already. 

There's also a good chance he will want to stay with this group after what he's witnessed, he's joined an even better team that he thought. 

Plus that run TT went on at the end of the year is what got us here in the first place. 

More reason for optimism here than not.

Not sure that is a strong counter?

Didn't we only win 4 of our last 10 games and one was in ot?

Lets hope it works out, without much pain in the end

We have been winning without him in tougher games so far

6 hours ago, Sean83 said:

I was initially a huge proponent of the trade but with him likely not being able to play in the playoffs for us this year, looks like GMJB made a big mistake.  We could have used the defensive depth that Tyler Madden would offer us down the road with the core being so strong.  Madden might have been that last bit to get our core to Cup Contenders down the line.  With Toffoli likely done like Ferland and Leivo though, it looks like the gamble GMJB made busted.  Goes to prove those of you who say "don't mortgage the future" right.  So frustrating! (And no, inserting an injured Toffoli into the series when we're down 3-0 or 3-1 ala us against Calgary in 2015 with the still busted Ryan Miller) doesn't count as good payback for the trade.  

Also makes me think of where we'd be if we had a healthy Toffoli, Ferland and Leivio in our roster this year, but, alas, Canucks luck. 

This trade is just really making me see red right now.  

Abandon.gif.623bcb438cf4569f6f1e1622d1cbf6c9.gif

6 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Madden's ceiling projects to be a middle 6 undersized winger. You can't have a 150lbs C in the NHL. We have a ton of wingers. Loved that trade and we gave up a very reasonable price for a top 6 RW 2way vet with cup credentials.

Loved the trade then, still love it now.

You guys are so freaking dense. There is no such thing as ceiling for prospects. It's like me telling you your ceiling is 40 dollars an hour. Or Horvat's ceiling is a very good 3rd line C or borderline 2nd line C which was rampantly posted on this board 4-5 years ago. 

I honestly stopped reading when I read Toffoli is “done like Ferland”. 

Madden is hardly a NHL guarantee, and If he becomes one, he will be bottom 6 at the most.  We have many that fill that roll.

But thanks for laugh. Needed that after the $*#t show tonight.

• Vintage 1