The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 25th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G2

Rate this topic

Roberts

29 minutes ago, rekker said:

I don't buy that, I just don't. I hate the inconsistencies as much as anyone but this game, at this level is ridiculously tough to ref. Mistakes will always be made. Mistakes I get and I accept, and conspiracies I say are are for losers. I do have a beef with the inconsistencies within a game and that does bugs me to no end. A reffing crew should be able to deliver a level game within a game and manage that game appropriately. 

Either NHL referees are highly incompetent or there is something fishy going on.  I don't think it is a "conspiracy" against the Canucks (like I've said multiple times I think that it is league-wide).  My point is that the NHL seems to be using refereeing in order to artificially boost the perceived entertainment value in order to sell hockey to non-hockey markets.  If you disagree why do you think that NHL refereeing is so darn inconsistent.  Of course everyone makes mistakes and refereeing a game like hockey is difficult but there is something more to it than that.  Or at the very least it sure looks that way.  What's your opinion on why NHL refereeing is so inconsistent?  Anybody?

And for the bonus question, can anybody explain what "game management" really means and why it isn't a despicable policy?  I can't see any reason why it exists other than a cynical attempt to manipulate the game in order to make more money from non hockey fans (while at the same time degrading the game for people who already like it).

Go Canucks Go!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t know why everyone was ragging on Roussel.

He was doing exactly what he was supposed to. He had Reaves full attention almost all game basically neutralizing him.

Unfortunately the rest of our guys couldn’t take advantage of that. However if it weren’t for Roussel you better believe Reaves would have been paying a lot more attention to our top guys.

It's a nice gesture you've made.

But "neutralized" Reaves?  Not sure if serious.

Reaves had 11 hits in that game.  11.  Neutralized = no.  He elevated his physical game, nothing neutralized there.

Reaves invited Roussel to drop the gloves - Roussel wisely and understandably did not oblige him.  However, again - not neutralized - not even taken him off the ice with coincidental penalties, or majors, etc.  Also didn't manage to incite a single minor penalty out of Reaves. 

Roussel didn't read the situation very well.  He had zebras with a target on his back - partly because he was highly visibly chirping - and we all know it's slanted - but that is the reality he needed to deal with - and instead of the necessary lunchbox approach - he chirped, and hugged, and avoided conflict in the end - and if you believe that was effective, I think you're wearing some rose goggles. 

From where I'm sitting - it was a strategic miscalculation - actually a number of strategic miscalculations on his part.  He needs to pick his spots better - be wiser about it - and if the point of his agitiation is to get the opponent 1) to take stupid, reactionary penalties - it was a fail, or 2) to get them off their game, again, it nowhere near had that effect = a fail.

It wasn't simply the young stars not being able to produce - Roussel was part of an overall failed formula.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Roussel can turn this around. He just has to run around & hit as much as possible, but play whistle to whistle. 

Frustrate them & get Vegas to initiate the extra-cirricular stuff.  

Put Roussel with Petey and Miller - Vegas will counter with Reeves, and last game our best sog numbers were against him.  Who better than our 2 best scorers to capitalize?

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Complaining about officiating is for losers. You have to play the game and be prepared to kill off penalties. They are not going to call penalties for face washing. They have set that standard. Move on. We need our best players to be our best players and Rousell is not one of our best players. Petey, Miller, Horvat, Boeser Pearson, Hughes, Edler all need to have a better game of this series will not be a long one.

Make your point without name calling please. 

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, VaNux said:

I'd prefer we don't engage in a disturber match or toughness match with reaves. Instead focus our energy on their hot-head goalie.

We're going to have to play a very tight, structured game, particularly through the neutral zone, in order to beat them. Mobile on the back end , and strong on special teams. That

Exactly.  The Canucks don't have a size, toughness, (or experience) edge to exploit by playing into a trenches, or after-the-whistles game.

And further, they're dealing with a zebra approach that only makes it that much more unwise.

I appreciate people here defending 'our guy' - but I'd prefer to be real - and approach the game in the way that gives the team the best opportunity to succeed.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Complaining about officiating is for losers. You have to play the game and be prepared to kill off penalties. They are not going to call penalties for face washing. They have set that standard. Move on. We need our best players to be our best players and Rousell is not one of our best players. Petey, Miller, Horvat, Boeser Pearson, Hughes, Edler all need to have a better game of this series will not be a long one.

Not sure what you're talking about.

There has been no "standard set".

The irony is that you attempt to make this point after a game in which Roussel is disciplined for skating by a goaltender and chirping, while getting slashed for it.  Got a 10 minute misconduct for a hug.

They are calling penalties for less than a face wash.  And there is no standard. 

If people pick up on that and call it out for what it is - goal posts moving constantly and weak officiating with no real standard - it's fair game to do so.  People correctly expect that 'standard' you believe has been set - I don't know what you watched that made you believe in this 'standard' but calling people "losers" for expecting officials to maintain a standard - is ironic imo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, rekker said:

I don't buy that, I just don't. I hate the inconsistencies as much as anyone but this game, at this level is ridiculously tough to ref. Mistakes will always be made. Mistakes I get and I accept, and conspiracies I say are are for losers. I do have a beef with the inconsistencies within a game and that does bugs me to no end. A reffing crew should be able to deliver a level game within a game and manage that game appropriately. 

Reffing at any level can be incredibly hard. I've done a lot of it. The problem is you get sucked in as a fan (even with 10 year olds) and eventually your own bias creeps into your decisions. In some games you almost create a scorecard in your mind and you start thinking one more cheap play by this team, or even one guy not moving his legs but instead cheaply hooking and I'm calling these guys a penalty, even though the other team may have just got away with a borderline hard slash. I can see how it's easy for people to get caught up in complaining. There is a lot of in game management due to the referee's personal (not league-wide) bias and it would behoove both players and fans to understand that and get on with it.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nux_win said:

I'm suggesting that NHL refereeing is being manipulated by the management.  It's not just about the Canucks, it's league-wide.  Like I said, I believe that they are doing so because they believe they have a right to maximize their profit.  And they seem to think that by manipulating the refereeing they are making their "product" better.

I think Q-Anon is in on it!

47 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

DeBrusk has called out soft b.s. calls against us on a couple of occasions this post season so far, and good on him for it. When fans are in the building you can understand how the refs might get caught up in the groundswell of homer emotions, but against the silent backdrop of this years games some of these calls literally scream incompetence.   

well, I hate to break it to you, these refs are the absolute best at their job on the planet.  So, if it's that distressing to you, probably best to find another sport to watch becaise this is, literally, the best it's ever going to get.

Edited by stawns

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Exactly.

Forget Reaves.  He's a distraction himself.

Hit Theodore every chance they get.  And Schmidt. 

These are the guys this team needs to wear on - forecheck, slow their transition game, make them play in their own zone.

agree 100%, the Canucks were very very slow to apply any kind of pressure on the d.........by the time they got there, the uck was on the move out of the zone and they were left playing catch up to the attacking Knights.  They need to add at least two gears to even get to square, let alone be a threat to win a game.

21 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Put Roussel with Petey and Miller - Vegas will counter with Reeves, and last game our best sog numbers were against him.  Who better than our 2 best scorers to capitalize?

they don't care about Roussel and they're not going to put Reaves out there to counter him, especially against Petey.  

Green will adjust the line-up to-night.

I prefer BigMad in to increase the physical and speeding.

If TT and Myers can play, there will be good news. But....

We need every Canucks players play more fast, hard, and toughness to win this game.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!