The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

1 hour ago, khay said:

8+ mil??? Boeser's cap hit is 5.7 I think. And how do you know that he will only score 20-25 goals?

Boeser just finished his 3rd year as a pro. And in those 3 years, he scored at 0.82 PPG.

He has at least 10 good years of hockey ahead of him for which we can expect minimum of 0.82 PPG because he will get stronger, more experienced, and possibly even faster.

When he enters his prime, which could be within a year or two, he could very well be hitting 30+ goals and 70+ points. That's the type of player we are surely going to want to trade for as we compete for the cup. Why trade such player only to want to get such player back later?

If we trade Boeser, we might be facing another Cam Neely situation. Obviously, Boeser won't do what Neely did but he is capable of going to another team, breaks out and scores 40+ goals.

You talk as if though Boeser is just going to fizzle out and settle down as a 20 goal scorer. Most of us fans think the best years for Boeser are yet to come.

That’s his bridge contract. His next contract is 7.5 million plus or more or we can’t resign him. It’s in the contract he has right now. 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think he's aiming too high - and not realizing a few things that make OEL a less easy sell.

First, ROR was younger (about 3 years younger) - with a deal that ends when he's in the 32 yr range...

ROR was clearly/easily tracking as one of the best two way players in the game, early in his prime.

There was no list of 2.

There was no cap stall due to Covid.

Buffalo wasn't under the kind of financial pressure the Coyotes appear to be.

And the incentive for St Louis to make that deal - was far stronger than it is in these circumstances.

If that's his baseline, I think he needs to recalculate, because selling ROR at market value appears a lot easier/more realistic in 2018 than selling OEL is right now.

Take the prospect or pick out - take back LE's low salary to cap ratio - and then complete your dive to the cap floor - or get back on the phone with Boston.

Agree with u on all accounts. 

• Cheers 1

The more rumours that appear the more you get the feeling that things are really bad in the desert, both financially, with OEL and with the franchise in general.

If you give your captain a NMC, this is pretty much textbook stuff on how not to handle it. Just hope we can take advantage which really is starting to look like a real possibility, although it's hard to tell where boston's at in all this.

As for OEL's value, I sure wouldn't trade for the 2015 version, but I wouldn't rule out him becoming that player with us again either. Sure it would be a risky move, but if the numbers make enough sense it's just a deal you have to make. I would expect OEL to be at least on par with QH offensively (short term, obviously QH has untapped potential) and much better defensively. With QH, OEL and Edler on the ice for 50 mins + I would imagine things looking a lot better next season.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

that was 11 years ago.

a bit has happened since then.

Like what? Him only having one season in NHL where he was a “+” player? He’s not worth $8.5 million for 7 more years. I can give you a list of many players his age with much better stats and much cheaper contracts.

• Wat 1

9 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

This is literally music to my ears. A number 1 dman has us and one other team on his list. This gives me Hamhuis vibes. We are chilling. I hope Benning finds a way to work this out, especially cap-wise

I'm skeptical, yet excited at the same time. If we let Marky go then we might have room to re-sign Tanev too. With OEL our D would look like this:

Hughes - Tanev

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Edler - Stecher

Not too shabby at all. 

2 minutes ago, RomanP said:

Like what? Him only having one season in NHL where he was a “+” player? He’s not worth $8.5 million for 7 more years. I can give you a list of many players his age with much better stats and much cheaper contracts.

+/- on a garbage team is a terrible stat to hang on to. Bad hot take is bad 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, RomanP said:

All on better teams with better players, better coaches, management and owners.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

+/- on a garbage team is a terrible stat to hang on to. Bad hot take is bad 

You mean, a team that plays defence first for all these years? Shouldn’t it be an environment for a great defenceman to actually excel?

• Wat 1

i feel like the owners of yotes dont have the money to pay oel    his contract is owed 58 mill and boston not gonna give them what they want soo benning has a good chance to get oel  as cheap as possible i feel like  eriksson sutter  9.25 mill owed in real cash but  16.25 in cap hits 4.25 1 yr 6 mill 2yrs          eriksson sutter virtanen and brisebois  for oel 

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

I'm skeptical, yet excited at the same time. If we let Marky go then we might have room to re-sign Tanev too. With OEL our D would look like this:

Hughes - Tanev

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Edler - Stecher

Not too shabby at all. 

No man, Edler and OEL would have to be a pair like a bad 80’s Swedish buddy cop show

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Seeing all these reports, it make you realize it’s not going to take all that much to get this guy. 

The Coyotes are a budget team that will be one of those that hurt most during this pandemic and logically need to cut salary. When the owner tells you to do it, as a GM, you have no choice.

Eriksson, Virtanen, and a couple second round picks might just do the job. 

17 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Seeing all these reports, it make you realize it’s not going to take all that much to get this guy. 

The Coyotes are a budget team that will be one of those that hurt most during this pandemic and logically need to cut salary. When the owner tells you to do it, as a GM, you have no choice.

Eriksson, Virtanen, and a couple second round picks might just do the job. 

Maybe something like Sutter, JV, OJ and a 2nd rounder. That way they're getting 1 young player, a prospect, and a sweetner (2nd rounder) to take on Sutter's contract.

• Cheers 1