The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

46 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

havent been through the whole thread, but what would be the realistic trade involving louie to ARZ?

Something like Eriksson, Benn (replaces a depth left D and largely evens cap), one of Juolevi/Rathbone, a pick and likely a secondary, lesser prospect.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I wonder if we could sign Adam Larsson RD from Edmonton as well as trade for Ekman Larsson 

E- Larsson A-Larsson 

Edler Hughes 

Juolevi Myers 

We would have to trade for him, he has one more year left on his $4.17m contract. I also don't think we will be able to afford both OEL + another $4m such as Larsson or Tanev.

Assuming Benn is part of the OEL trade, more likely JB circles back round to Stecher as a free agent and offers ~$2m. Our D next season becomes:

OEL Hughes

Edler Myers

Juolevi Stecher

(Rafferty)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Something like Eriksson, Benn (replaces a depth left D and largely evens cap), one of Juolevi/Rathbone, a pick and likely a secondary, lesser prospect.

I think you're about right. I would hope that if OJ/Rathbone are included then the pick is no more than a 3rd rounder. If the pick is a 1st or 2nd then no OJ/Rathbone!

Well, the first buyout period ends tomorrow at 14:00pst so that’s actually a deadline of sorts in this mix.  I’m expecting Baertschi to be bought out, if there’s a buyout at all, at which point Arizona will have to take on Eriksson’s $6m contract to make the cap numbers fit.  I don’t see Benning buying out Sutter as he provides PK/“D-zone start shifts” so that leaves only Eriksson.  I suppose they might want out from under Dvorak’s $$$ as well which may expand to Sutter’s cap hit going back the other way.  I believe the actual dollar figures would be close to equal but Arizona gets out from underneath an additional $17.8m owed over the following four seasons after this year.

Whether or not we should be adding Dvorak’s $4.45m cap hit for another four seasons after this one is an entirely different discussion than OEL’s but, admittedly, I know very little about Dvorak’s efficacy.

Edit:  I suppose Baertschi ending up on IR, a very likely scenario, also means that Arizona wouldn’t have to pay any actual dollars since Sven’s insurance would be covering that.  So maybe Arizona’s owner(s) would actually prefer Baertschi over other cap dump options like Roussell/Beagle in which case the buyout deadline does serve a dual purpose for this deal to get done.  Benning’s “soft deadline” so to speak...

Edited by Millerdraft

34 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I think you're about right. I would hope that if OJ/Rathbone are included then the pick is no more than a 3rd rounder. If the pick is a 1st or 2nd then no OJ/Rathbone!

If we think about it it’s likely a first to get rid of Eriksson and a first to acquire OEL.  With that logic we have to give up a Joulevi/Jake/Demko type player and a future 1st.  That would be my thought but if JB can do better then we’d be laughing.

39 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

We would have to trade for him, he has one more year left on his $4.17m contract. I also don't think we will be able to afford both OEL + another $4m such as Larsson or Tanev.

Assuming Benn is part of the OEL trade, more likely JB circles back round to Stecher as a free agent and offers ~$2m. Our D next season becomes:

OEL Hughes

Edler Myers

Juolevi Stecher

(Rafferty)

I think if the top pairings work like this then we would go after somebody like Bogosian to pair with Joulevi.  Year after it would be Tryamkin.

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

With what cap space? Eight roster spots to fill with just over $8m cap space and they already have a $4.5m backup.

Klefbom could miss all of next season which would open up an additional 4.1M.  Using CapFriendly it would give them 11.7M for 5 players with 18 already under contract.  

Their defence is set to be bad so having a wall in Markstrom could be their best chance to have a decent season.  They can't fix their D in one off-season.  Having a great goalie could buy them some time for their prospects to develop and get them playing better defence. 

Yzerman says he's ready to help out teams for futures so they could also try and move a contract to Detroit.

I get the feeling, with Stetcher now being dumped off that something we don't like might be going the other way and might be the cost of losing the Eriksson contract. It could be Boeser Eriksson and a 1st for OEL and Jason Demers. I don't like the idea, but in theory, the team could handle it. The cap hits are essentially the same and it fills 2 holes in the line up. Not to mention that frees up money to sign Toffoli (should that convince him to stay), then we have both Hoglander coming to camp next year and Podkolzin likely joining near the end of the season. We COULD do without Boeser in this scenario. Then sign Tanev to a 1 year (wait and see) contract somewhere between 5 and 6 mil.

Miller-Petey-Free agent/Hoglander?

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

(Virtanen?)

Hughes-Tanev

OEL-Myers

Edler-Demers

Benn, Free agent

Like it or not, this drops off enough salary that we could survive the expansion draft and re-sign Petey and Hughes to good long contracts. 

Protect our top 6 + 1 bottom 6 forward

Hughes, OEL, and Myers

And 1 goalie.

Like it or not, it works.

41 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

I get the feeling, with Stetcher now being dumped off that something we don't like might be going the other way and might be the cost of losing the Eriksson contract. It could be Boeser Eriksson and a 1st for OEL and Jason Demers. I don't like the idea, but in theory, the team could handle it. The cap hits are essentially the same and it fills 2 holes in the line up. Not to mention that frees up money to sign Toffoli (should that convince him to stay), then we have both Hoglander coming to camp next year and Podkolzin likely joining near the end of the season. We COULD do without Boeser in this scenario. Then sign Tanev to a 1 year (wait and see) contract somewhere between 5 and 6 mil.

Miller-Petey-Free agent/Hoglander?

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

(Virtanen?)

Hughes-Tanev

OEL-Myers

Edler-Demers

Benn, Free agent

Like it or not, this drops off enough salary that we could survive the expansion draft and re-sign Petey and Hughes to good long contracts. 

Protect our top 6 + 1 bottom 6 forward

Hughes, OEL, and Myers

And 1 goalie.

Like it or not, it works.

Boeser isn't getting traded for OEL

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Canucks Holes:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat _______

Roussel ______  Virtanen

Motte Beagle Macewen

Eriksson Gaudette 

Hughes Myers

_____   _____

Edler     _____

Juolevi Raffertty 

Demko

_______

so we need to sign a 2nd line winger, 3rd line center, OEL could be 2nd line LD, gotta sign a 2nd and 3rd line RD and Sign back up goalie.

also likely lose Virtanen in OEL maybe even Gaudette so left him out of the line up.

my suggestions:

2nd line RW- Anthony duclair somewhere around 3-4 mil

3rd line C- Kyle Turris somewhere around 2-3 mil

2nd LD- OEL

2nd Rd- Tyson Barrie somewhere around 3- 3.5 mil

3rd RD- Luke Schenn somewhere around 1-2 Mil 

3rd line Rw- Valeri Nichushkin somehwere around 1.5-2.5 Mil

Backup Goalie- Want Lundqvist but sounds like he is going to WSH so I guess Holtby is he signs for 3 mil. 

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Duclair

Roussel Turris Nichushkin 

Motte Beagle Macewen

OEL Myers

Hughes Schenn (Hughes and Schenn had good chem) 

Edler Barrie 

Demko

Holtby

• Wat 1