The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

43 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

tbh I don't think Hoglander is on the trade bait list either, too much scoring talent potential there

For me it would be Lind, Juolevi the most likely two on the block for prospects. 

The guy hasn't score more than 10 goals at any level in the past 4 years but OK.   

IMO, he's a B+ prospect at best, if we can get some value while his stock is high, I wouldn't mind taking that risk (for the right deal).  Otherwise, he reminds me too much of a certain Anton Rodin...overhyped way too much.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

The guy hasn't score more than 10 goals at any level in the past 4 years but OK.   

IMO, he's a B+ prospect at best, if we can get some value while his stock is high, I wouldn't mind taking that risk (for the right deal).  Otherwise, he reminds me too much of a certain Anton Rodin...overhyped way too much.

SHL is notoriously a low scoring league so I wouldn't put much stock in that, but certainly agree he is a B+ prospect, which is solid.

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

He's been playing in the top tier Swedish league against men for 3 years.

He's only 19 years old.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

I feel slightly sorry for Armstrong in Arizona in this. He's walked into a disaster that he didn't create and is having to try and figure out how to assemble a team that's cap compliant, with a bunch of unmovable contracts, and the one guy who would pull significant interest around the league, who they REALLY need to move, has a full NMC and has given them 2 teams to negotiate with.

Many of the contracts, Kessel, etc, they wouldn't be in any better shape cap wise, to buy them out either.

They got slapped by the league for violating testing policies with potential draft picks, which again, is not his fault.

Just nuts.

But, we have a team to run and build, so if we can take advantage of them? Pillage onward!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

JB should walk away now. Let them crawl back to us after free agency. 

If Armstrong don't play his cards right, he's gonna be fired before the season starts. 

OEL has imposed a deadline of tomorrow at noon. After that he won’t agree to waive his NTC. This gets done before then or not until next season 

8 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Although he turned heads with his 5 goals and 6 assists in 7 games against the worlds best juniors 10 months ago

Just now, qwijibo said:

OEL has imposed a deadline of tomorrow at noon. After that he won’t agree to waive his NTC. This gets done before then or not until next season 

I doubt OEL is gonna say no out of spite if Armstrong comes to him with a trade to Van or Bos after the deadline. 

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I feel slightly sorry for Armstrong in Arizona in this. He's walked into a disaster that he didn't create and is having to try and figure out how to assemble a team that's cap compliant, with a bunch of unmovable contracts, and the one guy who would pull significant interest around the league, who they REALLY need to move, has a full NMC and has given them 2 teams to negotiate with.

Many of the contracts, Kessel, etc, they wouldn't be in any better shape cap wise, to buy them out either.

They got slapped by the league for violating testing policies with potential draft picks, which again, is not his fault.

Just nuts.

But, we have a team to run and build, so if we can take advantage of them? Pillage onward!

He knows what he is walking into when they interviewed him. It will take a few years before this mess gets sorted out. He will have his time to construct the roster. For the time being, his goal is to recoupe lost draft picks so he can slowly reconstruct the roster.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

It's really scary how so many people don't know how a negotiation process works. Everything is an option when you're in talks like these. The goal is to maximize options for yourself.

How so?  If you know anything about negotiation, now is the PERFECT time to put the pressure on.  Why sit here and wait for Arizona to dictate the terms.  You tell them you'll walk away if we are plan B.  Then see if they have a fire lit under them to get the deal done with Vancouver or gamble with Boston.

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

He knows what he is walking into when they interviewed him. It will take a few years before this mess gets sorted out. He will have his time to construct the roster. For the time being, his goal is to recoupe lost draft picks so he can slowly reconstruct the roster.

Correct, and if he can fix this, he's going to look like a god in Arizona.

Still not a great position to be in.

21 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’m hoping he stands pat on the deal that he’s made. I heard updates that Vancouver’s sweetened the deal. From the sounds of it Arizona needs to get rid of him and our offer is the best and might be the only one on the table. That’s their fault for the contract they gave to OEL. I just keep thinking Benning feels like he needs OEL now and might give up too much to get him. Might be able to ditch one of our bad contracts like Baertschi with a pick and sign both Tanev and Barrie while keeping the dollars around the same with giving up less than it sounds for OEL and not have an 8.25 contract for 7 more years.

For me it's all about retention.  I don't want OEL unless they retain at least 25%.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I doubt OEL is gonna say no out of spite if Armstrong comes to him with a trade to Van or Bos after the deadline. 

According to every report out there he will. He has the NTC. He sets the terms of whether he waived or not 

Edited by qwijibo

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The deadline needs to be today at 4pm pacific time. We have 3 fairly high profile UFA's without contracts and stetcher now, their prices will rise once FA starts. 

I'm guessing JB has told all of them what he's willing to have them back at.  It's their right to see what the market holds for them, but this year in particular won't be anything like previous FA frenzies.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I'm okay with them not retaining if they will take Loui and Benn....

I"m not.  I don't want to have 3 players (Petey, Hughes, OEL) eating up $25-30M for the following 5 years.   Keep OEL's cap hit around $6M and we're in a great position.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1