The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

33 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

How has there been no media updates all day either?

Dieing over here.

Bill Armstrong spoke on the @TheRink podcast today and mentioned Coyotes are 'in no panic' to meet the Ekman-Larsson trade deadline:

Arizona general manager Bill Armstrong, speaking on the NHL @TheRink podcast Thursday, said the Coyotes are not going to make a panic move to meet the deadline, especially if the offers they receive are not worth what they believe Ekman-Larsson's value to be.

"When you deal with clubs on any player, they're not maybe as high as offers as you'd like to come back or assets that you'd like to gain, so there's a patience," Armstrong said. "Our ownership has done a great job just saying, 'Hey, listen, we're going to hold the [NHL] salary cap where it is and we're not going to panic here, you're going to go in there and do your work.' We've always operated, I guess, from strength in the simple fact that we have some opportunity to move assets, but we're in no panic to do it."

Armstrong, who was hired Sept. 17, said he has an open line of communication with Ekman-Larsson, who scored 30 points (nine goals, 21 assists) in 66 regular-season games and four points (one goal, three assists) in nine postseason games this season.

"Oliver and I have had some good discussions," Armstrong said. "We've talked about the scenarios and I basically went back to him and just said, 'Hey, listen, just hang in there. I know you're stressed about it. Let's get through this free agency, get on the other side of it, we'll reach out and stay in touch.' I said, 'If there is something that's bothering you, you can always reach out to me, let's just calm it now and we'll see where it moves to.'"

Epp told TSN that the Coyotes approached Ekman-Larsson about a trade, but he said the defenseman's preference is to remain with Arizona.

Ekman-Larsson signed an eight-year, $66 million contract ($8.25 million average annual value) on July 1, 2018, when John Chayka was the GM. The NHL salary cap will remain $81.5 million for next season, which is targeted to begin Jan. 1, 2021.

"I have a great respect for the player," Armstrong said. "I know him all the way back since he's been 17 years old. He's a great player. To me, he's a player that has the ability and the talent to win the Norris [Trophy]. He's our captain. He plays 23 minutes a night. I guess it's probably a little bit awkward in the sense that I like him as a player but at the same time the club is also exploring, and that's why I was hired, to explore every asset that we possibly could gain. … My goal here is to put all the assets on the board and explore every situation that could help this organization moving forward."

Armstrong said he is not worried about the relationship between Ekman-Larsson and the Coyotes if he doesn't get traded.

"He's a great person that you can always reach out to and have a conversation with," Armstrong said. "So it's easy on that front that if it doesn't work out, and obviously he's going to come back in the door, him and I can sit down and continue to work on the relationship and get him in the right spot. But we'll just deal with that afterwards. Right now we've got some work to do in free agency and obviously to look at some other deals to be done."

https://www.nhl.com/news/coyotes-ekman-larsson-deadline-trade-status/c-319391266

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Bill Armstrong spoke on the @TheRink podcast today and mentioned Coyotes are 'in no panic' to meet the Ekman-Larsson trade deadline:

https://www.nhl.com/news/coyotes-ekman-larsson-deadline-trade-status/c-319391266

Just reading through Armstrong's words, and it's pretty obvious that Ekman-Larsson isn't happy with the plethora of issues Arizona has had, and that Armstrong is looking to downplay that. 

I especially love the "Hey listen, hang in there" bit. 

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Then they can keep him and I'll grab my popcorn and enjoy the nuclear meltdown in the dessert.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

I know feels like it's dragging on...

This whole bloody off-season is dragging on. I know Benning is hard at work behind the scenes, but from the outside he's done nothing really so far and the things he HAS done are generally uncomfortable. Most anxious off-season ever.

Plan A is seemingly riding on OEL. Hopefully we see something soon.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't think Benning should wait on this. We've put other stuff on hold long enough. If nothing happens by tomorrow he should move on to other contingencies, Arizona can eat that salary.

Edited by RWMc1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Huh? The $1.7m in bonuses that they have to pay are from last season. They have no choice about paying that $1.7m in 2020/21.

What they do have a choice over is keeping their cap at around $76m (including Ferland's $3.5m cap hit) to pay for the 2020/21 bonuses within the 2020/21 season, and thereby avoid the same carryover of up to $4.55m into 2021/22 right when we need the space to resign Pettersson, Hughes and Demko.

In addition, typically the performance bonus carryover overage counts 100% against the next season cap. Special for overages caused by 19-20, teams will have the option to split the bonus overage 50% between 20-21 and 21-22.

https://puckpedia.com/PPCBA

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Just reading through Armstrong's words, and it's pretty obvious that Ekman-Larsson isn't happy with the plethora of issues Arizona has had, and that Armstrong is looking to downplay that. 

I especially love the "Hey listen, hang in there" bit. 

sure sounds like this is a failure to launch to me. "let get through this free agency" isn't a great fit with our timeline. 

All they are going to do is succeed in jerking around their captain for a few weeks. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

sure sounds like this is a failure to launch to me. "let get through this free agency" isn't a great fit with our timeline. 

All they are going to do is succeed in jerking around their captain for a few weeks. 

We can't afford to miss out on deals with other teams on the off chance that they capitulate at a later date. If there's a deadline in place Benning needs to stick to it

.He's pretty much called OEL out on a bluff with the we've been pals since he was 17 stuff. That could back-fire on him.

It's really confusing to me as a fan to read 'Canucks priority is resigning Markstrom' and then 'Trading Demko is not an option'.... There is an expansion draft upcoming so we have to pick one or the other at some point. If we want Markstrom and trading Demko is what it takes to shed Loui and get OEL....I'm not sure why that is an 'instant hang-up' as Dreger mentioned.....however, DD has always been slightly out to lunch so....

1 minute ago, The.Burrowers said:

It's really confusing to me as a fan to read 'Canucks priority is resigning Markstrom' and then 'Trading Demko is not an option'.... There is an expansion draft upcoming so we have to pick one or the other at some point. If we want Markstrom and trading Demko is what it takes to shed Loui and get OEL....I'm not sure why that is an 'instant hang-up' as Dreger mentioned.....however, DD has always been slightly out to lunch so....

He wants both goalie for the next couple years I gather. I think he plans on figuring something out with Seattle 

Just now, Johnny Torts said:

Boeser is not in the mix. Not once was that rumour floated on any network related to OEL. 

Our own fans just like to throw Boeser in on everything it seems like these days. It’s so tiring 

• Vintage 1