The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

6 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Louie needs to seriously think about mutual termination.  If he pushes this until the end, he may become the 2nd most hated Canuck behind you know who 

I hate Messier with a passion and due to the C being removed from Linden nobody will ever surpass MM but LE has cemented his place in a close 2nd for me!

1 minute ago, SunnyHours said:

Curious if they qualified Jake only to include him in the trade. If JV now goes to arb and gets a nice settlement, Canucks would be stuck with it. 

He scored 18 goals last year in a shortened season and looked like he was starting to figure things out. That’s a good player to be “stuck with.” 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Louie needs to seriously think about mutual termination.  If he pushes this until the end, he may become the 2nd most hated Canuck behind you know who 

Even if the doesn't really deserve it, it feels like he is that already.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

He scored 18 goals last year in a shortened season and looked like he was starting to figure things out. That’s a good player to be “stuck with.” 

I'd be willing to bet they are pencilling Jake into the top line winger role.  If that 's his role, I think he will excel in it over the course of the season.  

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

I'd be willing to bet they are pencilling Jake into the top line winger role.  If that 's his role, I think he will excel in it over the course of the season.  

Honestly if Toffoli isn’t back, I do think Jake will get some top line opportunities. Travis Green used the lotto line a lot but also moved Boeser down a lot too. 

20 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I agree 18 goals is great but in a cap world, especially a flat cap world, this all depends on the salary he’s awarded.

19 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

People crap on him for his Playoff performance, but I saw him getting more comfortable and confident as the games went along. Green started trusting him more and started using him later in games while sitting Roussel, Beagle and Gaudette.

• Like 1

Just now, CanuckFan1123 said:

Honestly if Toffoli isn’t back, I do think Jake will get some top line opportunities. Travis Green used the lotto line a lot but also moved Boeser down a lot too. 

Jake would put up 50-60 points over a full season with EP and Miller.  He would be riding their coat tails though.  I think Boeser is a better fit next to Horvat as he is better offensively than JV.

• Like 1

Just now, RWMc1 said:

People crap on him for his Playoff performance, but I saw him getting more comfortable and confident as the games went along. Green started trusting him more and started using him later in games while sitting Roussel, Beagle and Gaudette.

There were some games last year where Jake was a force and truly dominant, able to change the game.  If he could ever bring that consistently, watch out.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

Jake would put up 50-60 points over a full season with EP and Miller.  He would be riding their coat tails though.  I think Boeser is a better fit next to Horvat as he is better offensively than JV.

If Jake puts up 60 points his trade value would be so solid. I’m on board with it. 

47 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

Even if the doesn't really deserve it, it feels like he is that already.

Agreed.  He hasn’t risen to the level his contract deserves.  He’s obviously a likeable guy but hopefully will do the team a solid

48 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I think if Virtanen played every shift the way Motte does, we'd be talking about signing him for 3.5 - 4 million per season and he'd be playing consistently, top 6 minutes.

My problem with him has nothing to do with his ability to play the game, its his willingness to prepare and drive play that I have a problem with.

When he shows up, he's an exciting player to watch!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think if Virtanen played every shift the way Motte does, we'd be talking about signing him for 3.5 - 4 million per season and he'd be playing consistently, top 6 minutes.

My problem with him has nothing to do with his ability to play the game, its his willingness to prepare and drive play that I have a problem with.

When he shows up, he's an exciting player to watch!

A lot of the Jake hate is opinions passed off as fact though.

The first time Jake came to camp "out of shape" it was because he focused on gaining muscle mass at the expense of cardio. It was obvious in the infamous fat Jake photo. The second "out of shape" incident was about missing targets. That's not the same as being out of shape. Also bigger players burn energy faster and Motte's game isn't really matched by any other bottom 6 guy either. 

Every young player has inconsistencies in their game. Jake has been cleaning those up and is becoming a good 200 ft player who can slot up and down the line up as needed. I think more fans need to look at him as a big guy that can play rather than always expecting big guy plays from him every shift every game. (fights and hits etc.) Every players have ups and downs and he is no different. I see those downs getting less and less and Jake getting better and better. (which he's done over the past three seasons)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

A lot of the Jake hate is opinions passed off as fact though.

The first time Jake came to camp "out of shape" it was because he focused on gaining muscle mass at the expense of cardio. It was obvious in the infamous fat Jake photo. The second "out of shape" incident was about missing targets. That's not the same as being out of shape. Also bigger players burn energy faster and Motte's game isn't really matched by any other bottom 6 guy either. 

Every young player has inconsistencies in their game. Jake has been cleaning those up and is becoming a good 200 ft player who can slot up and down the line up as needed. I think more fans need to look at him as a big guy that can play rather than always expecting big guy plays from him every shift every game. (fights and hits etc.) Every players have ups and downs and he is no different. I see those downs getting less and less and Jake getting better and better. (which he's done over the past three seasons)

Trust me, I don't hate him. I watch every game, sometimes he's incredible out there, sometimes he looks like he's floating and completely disinterested.

My issue is frustration with his engage level. Nothing would make me happier than to see him playing the way he can play, at least 85 - 90% of the time. Everyone has an off game, he tends to take too many games and too many shifts off.

• Upvote 1