The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

if it's true that OEL and Markstrom are good friends....you hope this deal falling through doesn't effect his willingness to re-sign here - particularly if Demko were the sticking point...

in any event, who knows what the actual details were/are....

but it doesn't exactly take any pressure off Arizona....

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

if it's true that OEL and Markstrom are good friends....you hope this deal falling through doesn't effect his willingness to re-sign here - particularly if Demko were the sticking point...

in any event, who knows what the actual details were/are....

but it doesn't exactly take any pressure off Arizona....

Markstrom is out, Holtby is in...

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Absolutely.

Could you imagine Benning ending up with neither goalie?

If Arizona thinks they were getting prime value with the situation they were in they’re pretty dumb. I hope OEL gives them the same list of two next time the ask him to waive.

I'd mentioned wanting a platoon of Demko and Holtby, and now we've got it!

Makes washing our hands of this potential deal all the easier. Demko was never gonna be on the table. 

Edited by Coconuts

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

Word seems to be trickling out about Barrie possibly in discussions to go to Vancouver.  Not sure of the source yet, it is on a couple of rumour collating sites like Eklund... so it could be nonsense.  I could certainly see discussions happening though.

Deending on the price and term it could be OK.  If it is a Barrie instead of Tanev, I am not sure that helps us a lot.

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Barrie

Juolevi-Myers

That would be ok.

I think I'd be okay taking Barrie at or less than Tanev's cap, and for not many years hopefully.  We then need a solid shutdown defender to pair up with Hughes.  That'll really help with the puckmoving and transition from the back end, not to mention the powerplay.

Every other team that moved salary took it on the chin a bit to make it happen. If Arizona wanted to be the exception, then they miscalculated. They also misread OEL and his agent by not taking his deadline seriously. That media bit about knowing OEL since he was 17 therefore we're gonna keep negotiating like no deadline was submitted was delusional.

Well done, JB.  If there was retention on OEL and it was a Juolevi or similar it would have been a great add, but Demko is just an absolute deal-breaker.  So we're likely stuck with LE but saving on goaltending now and perhaps from the departures of Tanev and TT, and gives guys like Juolevi, Rafferty, and even Lind opportunity.

• Cheers 2