The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

8 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I don’t understand how people think the life of an athlete stops at 30…

Except when one’s perspective is that of a 14 year old boy…

Then it makes sense.

Kind of depends on a lot factors, like the sport for one.  Not many gymnasts or swimmers competing a5 the highest levels over 30.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Kind of depends on a lot factors, like the sport for one.  Not many gymnasts or swimmers competing a5 the highest levels over 30.  

Yeah whereas in chess, careers really take off at around 47.

Dude. Hockey.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I don’t understand how people think the life of an athlete stops at 30…

Except when one’s perspective is that of a 14 year old boy…

Then it makes sense.

That isn’t what people are saying.  It is absolutely an objective risk paying top dollar to a player over 30.  Many of them do decline and the exceptions are much more rare.  Long term contracts are signed knowing they might not age well, but you get the early years at a lower ticket price in exchange for those overpaid older years.

Edler at 35 isn’t the same as Edler at 25 or 30.  His decline hasn’t been really steep… but some players fall off a cliff and you don’t want to be holding the bag on the guy that does.

In this case it is even more pronounced because the player has already trended down, and all of his pre-30 years are already in the rear view mirror  and the receiving team is taking on all the risk with little upside.

If you waived OEL he probably doesn’t get picked up.  Of course, you can’t waive him because he has a full NMC for every year of the contract.  That is the other big risk with the contract.  Once his real dollar salary drops it would be possible to move him to a team that isn’t at the cap ceiling… he controls that process.  Arizona can’t even expose him to expansion.

Edited by Provost

When it comes to players like OEL I still say the Canucks should remain in a holding pattern for now. 

Leave space to work the young guys into the system and wait about two more years before it is time to start think this type of move and player/contract. 

Considering we have Schmidt & Hughes, I'm not sure OEL is the type of Dman we'd want to complete our top 3.

There all kind of similar in that their defensive game has tended to be inconsistent, or more so decision making in Schmidt's case.

If OEL can play a minute munching shutdown type role then maybe, but if he's not that type of defenseman then maybe we're better off looking elsewhere.

Can't say I've watch him enough to be sure.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

OEL is still a good dman. Is he what the Canucks need? Not in a million years at that contract value and term. Its another Loui Eriksson scenario. 

Lets be fair here. OEL is not a matchup dman. His defensive game has been slipping and was never really elite on the defensive side to begin with. He is not particularly physical or a top shot blocker either.

The right price? I wouldnt take that contract on for free let alone pay to take it. Its a terribly risky scenario to take on a guy who has been declining the last two years who has 6 more years at 8.25 million with a full nmc.

where are you getting this "slipping" info from? your personal eye test or can you back this up? 

none of this is in a vacuum, there are some permutations of this that could make sense for us, salary retention being the biggie. 

38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

$5m OEL is really not terrifying. 

Me either. If that's the case, they can keep him and pay him the tens of millions he's owed.

That's just silly.

Adding OEL, at the right price, wouldn't change that IMO.

Come On Down The Price Is Right GIF by As The Bunny Hops

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

where are you getting this "slipping" info from? your personal eye test or can you back this up? 

none of this is in a vacuum, there are some permutations of this that could make sense for us, salary retention being the biggie. 

You should read all the advanced stat articles from last year and add in an even bigger decline this past year.

But even just the eye test does show a regression.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You should read all the advanced stat articles from last year and add in an even bigger decline this past year.

separate from the team decline? 

I don't put much stock in the slide rule kids, sorry. Too many players have off years with one team, and bounce back with others. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

In really do have to wonder how much of that so called 'regression' is ARZ being a complete disaster organization/team, never mind the mental aspect of signing a clause filled, long term deal and having the team you thought was dedicated to you, turn around and tell you they want to dump your ass?

I can't imagine there's a lot of love in that relationship right now :lol:

That doesn't tend to lend itself to players performing their best.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

In really do have to wonder how much of that so called 'regression' is ARZ being a complete disaster organization/team, never mind the mental aspect of signing a clause filled, long term deal and having the team you thought was dedicated to you, turn around and tell you they want to dump your ass?

I can't imagine there's a lot of love in that relationship right now :lol:

That doesn't tend to lend itself to players performing their best.

the other aspect is, getting in a veteran d who you can rely on is worth a lot. OK so he'll produce 35 points instead of 45. Thats why you do the deal for retention. 

OEL is a quality player. What teams would he not be a top 4 on? we just have to make sure that is what we're paying him. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Yeah whereas in chess, careers really take off at around 47.

Dude. Hockey.

Sure lots of players can be good well into their 30’s.  OEL ain’t one of them though, and especially not at 8.5 for six more years.  Rather offer Doogie Howser Hamilton 8.5 x 7.  

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sure lots of players can be good well into their 30’s.  OEL ain’t one of them though, and especially not at 8.5 for six more years.  Rather offer Doogie Howser Hamilton 8.5 x 7.  

what is it about him you don't like? to me he seems like what we always wanted out of Edler, although less physical. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

His contract.  

oh for sure, that thing stinks. 

If we could get him tho, e.g., for OJ, Lind  and a 2nd, with 2 mil retained? with Loui heading back their way?

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

separate from the team decline? 

I don't put much stock in the slide rule kids, sorry. Too many players have off years with one team, and bounce back with others. 

He has had 3 straight years of regression. He has been supplanted by Chychrun. 

And if his team playing poorly explains away all his regression, why are we expecting him to step onto an equally bad at best team that plays even worse defensively and suddenly recapturing his glory days from 5 years ago?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh for sure, that thing stinks. 

If we could get him tho, e.g., for OJ, Lind  and a 2nd, with 2 mil retained? with Loui heading back their way?

Loui has to go the other way for sure.  And there has to be at least that much retention.  Maybe it’s better to wait for next summer, and go after a guy like Parayko?