The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

Last season OEL limited his choices to Boston and Vancouver. This season Arizona will try to make a deal and bring it to OEL for approval.

Arizona definitely overplayed their hand last year. Let's see if they've learned their lesson. Their alternative is to pay 10.5 million a season for 3 years then 8 million before the salary drops to a reasonable level for the last two seasons.

11 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

Hence why they would have to make it a freaking sweet deal. 

Eat 4mil a year and give us a 2022 2nd and 2023 first for Schmidt and a 2021 3rd 

The cost of moving cap and salary is still high from the cap freeze. I don't think the cost would be that high though.

Loui and Schmidt and 1 to 1.5 million retained by them would be closer. They will want more though so hopefully no deal.

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm take a wild guess that Schmidt would put the Yotes on his 10 "do not trade list".

Hopefully he has.

Where is his permanent home? Minnie or Vegas?

Does he really want out? If so, Vancouver or all of Canada?  He might have realized that many Canucks fans like to use puns.

Has anyone used "C'mon Benning Schmidt or get off the pot." yet?       It's no wonder he wants out. If he does. If not then Schmidty job by the press.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Hopefully he has.

Where is his permanent home? Minnie or Vegas?

Does he really want out? If so, Vancouver or all of Canada?  He might have realized that many Canucks fans like to use puns.

Has anyone used "C'mon Benning Schmidt or get off the pot." yet?       It's no wonder he wants out. If he does. If not then Schmidty job by the press.

Yeah, I'm just speculating that Schmidt would have zero desire to go to the Yotes.  Nothing against the state of Arizona but in regards to the state of the team.  He's still in the prime of his career & a professional.  Now while the Canucks have issues, they're *LIGHT YEARS* ahead (imho) at being consistant playoff contenders than the Yotes.  

32 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

The cost of moving cap and salary is still high from the cap freeze. I don't think the cost would be that high though.

Loui and Schmidt and 1 to 1.5 million retained by them would be closer. They will want more though so hopefully no deal.

If they made OELs $$ compatible to LE I'd take it. Elders cap, Schmidts coming off the books. He basically fills that 5 to 6 mil Vet void. 

Use his presence to lure edler in for cheap..could be alright 

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah, I'm just speculating that Schmidt would have zero desire to go to the Yotes.  Nothing against the state of Arizona but in regards to the state of the team.  He's still in the prime of his career & a professional.  Now while the Canucks have issues, they're *LIGHT YEARS* ahead (imho) at being consistant playoff contenders than the Yotes.  

I agree. The only thing that would make it a possibility is if he has his home in Vegas and wants to be closer.

I would like to see how he plays in a normal season with the same practice time as all the other teams and a good defensive systems coach to work with.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

At the very worst, we can expose Schmidt in the expansion draft.  Losing him for free is better than taking this contract.

Feels like Seattle aren't looking to replicate Vegas.  They hired Haskol who doesn't strike as a win now coach. In Carolina Francis took his time to build.

There's no clear indication where Seattle are going but there is some speculation that they might not necessarily be looking to pick the best players now and are more looking to build for the future - ie take the younger player with room to grow vs the established vet.  Could also be be taking short term contracts to move at the TDL or players on behalf of other teams.

They'll probably have to retain to get the better return.  Schmidt is 30 and has 4 years left.  Teams can only retain on 3 contracts and 4 years is a long time to retain on.  It might just not make sense for them if they can get a similar return on a shorter term contract.

34 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I like Schmidt but if he doesn't want to be here, then trade him. 

Exactly except no body knows what he wants it’s all a bunch of Schmidt if you ask me 

• Vintage 1

I’d only take on OEL for Schmidt if Arizona takes cap back. How many more years is that monstrous contract that OEL signed with the ‘Yotes? And for how much on the dollar is it for? Arizona would have to take Eriksson, and then also give a pick to take the length and the dollar of Oliver’s contract. It’s worse than Ericksson’s 6 years at 36 million, and that’s saying something