The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Are you willing to bet 8.25 mil in cap for 6 years for a 30 y/o on it though?

I wouldnt be.

I personally dont care if OEL would love playing in Van. Players loving to play in Van (hi Edler) should not supercede the best team on the ice and with the cap. I only care about what the Canucks need. We have seen enough sweetheart contracts for unnecessary players. And they definitely dont need two things that come with OEL. First another long term albatross contract. And second, a team built in the image of the Sedins. Love them. Great players and people. But when it comes down to it, the turn the other cheek, play for the PP, nice guy, regular season style that has permeated this team for 20 years is the absolute last identity I want to see built out again.

OEL is still a good player. And if he was 3 years at 4.5 mil for sure. But he's not. He is almost double that and declining already. We saw last year what his game looks like. Buyer beware.

Me? No i wouldnt bet on him and dont want him in vancouver because of his contract. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Me? No i wouldnt bet on him and dont want him in vancouver because of his contract. 

Same. If they retained 50%, took Eriksson, and the Canucks could nullify his nmc I would be ok with him coming to Van. Might even flip them a 3rd in that scenario. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What if its 2 mil retained and they take Loui, and it doesnt involve the 9th oa?

Then we’re still paying OEL six per for five more years.  Schmidt would have to go the other way.  Then what’s the point?  Schmidt is now, in their careers, the better player.  So we are stuck with the lesser player for five more years at 6/.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Then we’re still paying OEL six per for five more years.  Schmidt would have to go the other way.  Then what’s the point?  Schmidt is now, in their careers, the better player.  So we are stuck with the lesser player for five more years at 6/.  

I guess thats the rub - is OEL going to age better than Nate? 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What if its 2 mil retained and they take Loui, and it doesnt involve the 9th oa?

Nope. Loui is only on the books for one more year, and 2 mill retained still isn't nearly enough. With that contract and OEL's regression, he pretty much has negative value imo. I wouldn't touch it unless AZ was willing to give is a king's ransom for taking that contract on.

• Vintage 1

Cap set to raise by potentially $6+ million over the next 3 years based on new TV deals, Seattle entering the league and new gate revenue post covid. 

Canucks set to have upwards of $37 million in cap space over the next 2 years.

OEL having listed only 2 teams he will accept a trade to.

OEL having a monstrous cap Arizona cannot like CAN NOT afford

OEL essentially having said he won't play for AZ after essentially having completely checked out for 2 years

Somehow translates into Benning somehow screwing things up and OEL not even being a top 4 defense anymore when literally nothing has happened and Arizona has literally less bargaining power then vancouver did with Kesler

The two biggest gripers on here sure do like to hang themselves out there pretty far some days

The two biggest gripers on here sure do like to hang themselves out there pretty far some days especially over things that haven't happened, won't happen or likely will never turn out as bad as they claim.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is OEL even a top four guy now?  He’s regressed a lot over the last couple years.  

He's still a top pairing guy.  I think he ages better than Schmidt will too.  If they swap these guys, and OEL is around 6M for the duration with AZ retention, I think we jump at it.

• Vintage 1