The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Cap hit - Winner Edler

Points-  Draw Edler (33 to OEL's 30 last season)

Long term EL has had 55 points 4 years ago. And has cracked 40 point twice in the past two years. Edler has been more consistent and steady.

Both left handed. (Can OEL play the right side?)

Edler is 1" taller, and 12 pounds heavier. 

Speed, OEL? 

Basically you are taking a gamble that OEL will be better with a better team? 

Besides I can't figure how to fit $8.25 million into the lineup.

I'd almost be more willing to gamble on PK Subb....never mind. LOL.

i love edler but we literally can't compare him offensively to OEL, like it's not the same league, you have to consider that OEL:

2015 - led team in points

2016 - led team in points

2017 - 2nd on team in points

2018 - 4th on team in points

2019 - 2nd on team in points

2020 - 8th on team in points, missed 4 games, 2nd amongst D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tower102 said:

You say that without even knowing what the deal would be. What if it is a clear win for Van? 

I don't see how. LE will be going the other way with either Rathbone or Rafferty + draft picks. LE has 2 years left and OLE has 7 and is 30 years old where 30 year old Dman go downhill when reaching 30. 

If we like signing old swedes then we should ask Lidstrom to come out of retirement and give him 7 year * 7+ million.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I didn't think OJ looked bad in exhibition before the bubble cup. In fact a lot of times I didn't notice him. That's high praise for a defensemen for not making mistakes. 

I'm an OJ fan I just think if Hughes (2 years into a ELC) and OEL (on a 6 year contract) are locked up up for 5+ years his value to Vancouver would wane a bit

6 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Because he rejected both Alberta teams

I’m Now ok with it. Lol

now I just need to here the leafs are also rejected and he’d be Vancouvers golden man child. 

Welp 

It's us and Boston who are his teams of choice.

Just now, runtzguy said:

I don't see how. LE will be going the other way with either Rathbone or Rafferty + draft picks. LE has 2 years left and OLE has 7 and is 30 years old where 30 year old Dman go downhill when reaching 30. 

If we like signing old swedes then we should ask Lidstrom to come out of retirement and give him 7 year * 7+ million.

Giordano says hi. Suter says hi edler even says hi 

38 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Very few people on the planet know whether Pietro would consider Vancouver; and most teams would like to add him

At least 10 other teams will probably be pushing for him.

Canucks cannot afford to outbid other teams and we’re probably low on his list of destinations.

If Benning is seriously looking to spend money on D he’s better off targeting players he knows want to be here. That would likely narrow it down to OEL, Barrie, and possibly Krug since Benning scouted him and signed him.

1 minute ago, runtzguy said:

Just to clarify OEL turned 29 in July.

3 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

i love edler but we literally can't compare him offensively to OEL, like it's not the same league, you have to consider that OEL:

2015 - led team in points

2016 - led team in points

2017 - 2nd on team in points

2018 - 4th on team in points

2019 - 2nd on team in points

2020 - 8th on team in points, missed 4 games, 2nd amongst D

and that's on mostly defensive/offensively challenged Yotes teams too.

having another Vet like will allow us to shelter Hughes against hard matches and gives us another big minutes eater if Edler or Myers goes down. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Just to clarify OEL turned 29 in July.

OEL is not a #1 and is being paid as a #1 by Phoenix because they had to keep him somehow and they paid 8.5 to keep him. OEL will not look good 2 years from now and then we would be stuck with an aging Dman with 8.5 million cap space who we can't move because of his cap hit being so damn high with 4 years left.

2 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

um OEL is 29 years old the contract will end by the time he's 36. goalie goes on a bigger downhill once they hit 30 but we are almost willing to give markstrom the key to the city.. that's no different than the term we gave loui when he was 30. i mean if quinn hughes is going to be 29 entering UFA are we just going to walk away from him coz he will prolly want max term and money but coz dman go downhill when they hit 30 let's just let him walk coz we don't know if he'll continue to perform when he hits 30?

7 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

You wouldn't trade an ok prospect and picks to turn Eriksson's cap hit into OLE? He is a bonafide first pairing Dman. Plenty of Dmen keep going into their 30s. We get at least 4 good years out of him, if after those 4 years he is as useless to the team as Eriksson is now, then we would have traded an ok prospect and picks for 4 years of a top level dman. Worth it for me. 

Now... if Arizona asks for too high of value in exchange (Pod, Hog, Demko) and/or won't retain and take Eriksson then no this deal does not make sense. In that case, better off re-signing Tanev.

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

um OEL is 29 years old the contract will end by the time he's 36. goalie goes on a bigger downhill once they hit 30 but we are almost willing to give markstrom the key to the city.. that's no different than the term we gave loui when he was 30. i mean if quinn hughes is going to be 29 entering UFA are we just going to walk away from him coz he will prolly want max term and money but coz dman go downhill when they hit 30 let's just let him walk coz we don't know if he'll continue to perform when he hits 30?

Yes, because most but not all Dman's skill go downhill after they reach 30 years old.

1 minute ago, Tower102 said:

You wouldn't trade an ok prospect and picks to turn Eriksson's cap hit into OLE? He is a bonafide first pairing Dman. Plenty of Dmen keep going into their 30s. We get at least 4 good years out of him, if after those 4 years he is as useless to the team as Eriksson is now, then we would have traded an ok prospect and picks for 4 years of a top level dman. Worth it for me. 

Now... if Arizona asks for too high of value in exchange (Pod, Hog, Demko) and/or won't retain and take Eriksson then no this deal does not make sense. In that case, better off re-signing Tanev.

If we trade for OEL, I see the Canucks window for a Stanley Cup being 2 years and then closed shut for another decade due to these contracts that will need to be paid. If OEL is trade to us, this will be a mistake equal to that of LE's contract.

If this goes down, watch out for a Flames fans-Bouwmeester type blowback in our market.  “He’s not Scott Niedermayer!!  He was supposed to be Scott Niedermayer!!”

Then he moves on and wins a Cup in St Louis because Armstrong understood what he was and what he wasn’t.

I do find it interesting that some of the voices that are most against this particular move are also staunch Benning defenders.  If Bennington is in fact more than kicking tires on OEL, why do you think that is?  Someone is going to have to fill Edler’s skates when Edler becomes more of a top-end third pairing guy because of Father Time.

Just now, runtzguy said:

If we trade for OEL, I see the Canucks window for a Stanley Cup being 2 years and then closed shut for another decade due to these contracts that will need to be paid. If OEL is trade to us, this will be a mistake equal to that of LE's contract.

You totally undervalue OEL. With how little you think of him as a player you will not be convinced so I won't try anymore. He is a stud getting paid fair market value, only problem is he is another lefty.