The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

7 minutes ago, IRR said:

Everyone is worried a about down the road re OEL (which shouldn't be completely ignored), but the window is now or at least extremely close. He is a great player and will be for a while and if he helps the team win a cup, will that aspect even matter???

People are putting projections on this like they're a given.  

No one knows if a player will be injured, slump, etc.  And my concern is how this ties us up over a long duration.  He'll turn 30 as he laces up for us (if he does).  That's on the wrong side of the slope. 

Shiny new toy syndrome...we've been here before.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IRR said:

Everyone is worried a about down the road re OEL (which shouldn't be completely ignored), but the window is now or at least extremely close. He is a great player and will be for a while and if he helps the team win a cup, will that aspect even matter???

When he's 35 and we still have him in the books at an 8.25 million cap hit, will you still be saying the same thing? He's not the player he used to be now, let alone down the road. Literally look at his stats the past few years. He's already deteriorating and doesn't play to his cap hit.

Big no thanks here. He's a great player but not 8.25mil great.

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

People are putting projections on this like they're a given.  

No one knows if a player will be injured, slump, etc.  And my concern is how this ties us up over a long duration.  

Shiny new toy syndrome...we've been here before.  

Def a fair point! But, i almost think you have to project...only because nothing is given in any aspect of hockey unfortunately. Especially players (all players) future play, contributions, points etc. Do what looks to be best (best chance to succeed) and cross your fingers. If that makes sense??? 

5 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Andrew Walker is just looking for attention, he knows that proposal is awful. If it happens I could see it being Erickson, Hoglander and Juolevi/Rafferty for OEL.

Just now, drummerboy said:

Start with Boeser and a 1st.  

You guys do realize we in no way HAVE to make this trade. They're the one's with the gun to their head, not us.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You guys do realize we in no way HAVE to make this trade. They're the one's with the gun to their head, not us.

Really depends on demand. If there are a lot of teams after OEL, then there could be some sort of bidding war.

I'd much rather go with other options than OEL to be honest. His cap hit would just destroy us at the moment.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

He's not simply "adding" he's "buying" because the price tag is relevant too.  Over an extended period of time when we really will need to focus on paying younger players not guys in the twilight of their careers.

Yes and when an opportunity arises where you get the best player without giving up a core piece or Podz and Hogs with a good chance we dump LE you make that trade. Losing prospects is the price you pay to take that next step within reason of course. We have so much cap coming off over the next to seasons, plus buyout options and small moves (Benn, Rouselle etc) to gain extra cap.

Were not the Leafs where they have no wiggle room and a terrible farm. We have at least 4 prolly more that are pretty much a lock to make the club. 

I'm a little surprised that people would rather wait 3-5 years to hope Rathbone or Joulevi turn into stars when we could possibly trade one for a legit #1 who lets face it, he's going to see a big increase in points and with Hughes feeling he can play the right side as good or better, that is a pairing that would flat out dominate.

Our pk would be better as would our 2nd pp unit. Green would be in heaven having the option to load up the top pair or split them up depending on the matchups. Plus it only adds 2.5 million if LE is gone leaving at least 13 million without making any other moves which is doubtful. He could still bring Tanev TT and Marky if Ferland is LTIR or Rousell or Baer are bought out or moved, or perhaps Sutter.

Sorry for the long response, just so many scenarios that could unfold.

Just now, The Lock said:

Really depends on demand. If there are a lot of teams after OEL, then there could be some sort of bidding war.

I'd much rather go with other options than OEL to be honest. His cap hit would just destroy us at the moment.

He's reportedly got only Boston and Vancouver on his trade list. He's Kesler-ing them.

And if someone else wants to overpay for him, that's their problem, not ours.

Again, leverage. It's nice for a change :) 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I like OEL but I think we'd be tying up to much money for to long of we traded for him. I realize his stats are affected by the team he plays for but Alex Edler had more points (33) in less games (59) than OEL had last season (30 in 66 games). Edler's older and he's been a whipping boy on these forums when he's not playing well. I can only imagine what people would say about OEL and his 7 year contract if and when his stats and play start to fade. 

The fact is the Nucks future looks bright, more and more players are wanting to play here.  Vancouver is starting to appear on more and more players lists of where they'd be like to play. In short, they're starting to view Vancouver as a contender. The days of overpaying players to come here should be nearing an end...let's not tie our cap up in OEL.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

He's reportedly got only Boston and Vancouver on his trade list. He's Kesler-ing them.

It's nice if it makes sense for us, but we're so strapped for cash and we haven't even heard what's going on with Tanev, Toffoli, or Markstrom, if any of them get signed.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Just now, The Lock said:

It's nice if it makes sense for us, but we're so strapped for cash and we haven't even heard what's going on with Tanev, Toffoli, or Markstrom, if any of them get signed.

Only real way it could work is if they take Eriksson back in the deal.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Double quoting you but a quick question: did he request a trade or is this just one of Arizona's options?

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Are people just ignoring he's 8.5mil in cap?

You people are nuts if you think that's worth it without some miracle happening elsewhere on the roster.

Yeah that miracle is $6m of Eriksson cap going the other way being the only way this happens.

FWIW, $6m of dead, redundant winger cap moved to D plus the cost of a decent 3rd pair D is not far off $8.5m. And OEL is better than a 3rd pair D.

• Cheers 2

I bet oel rebounds big in a positive work environment. 

to van:

oel

grabner

to ari:

eriksson

benn

virtanen

juolevi OR rafferty OR rathbone OR woo (Arizona's choice)

hoglander

Vancouver gains the obvious plus a very serviceable winger for the pk and new look third line with the ability to move up in a pinch. Arizona sheds real dollars and gains pieces that can help them now and long term. 

• Upvote 1