The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 30, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

It looked like a giveaway, turnover bouncing pinball machine most of the night. Actually it's been that way all series. Some of it has to do with the ice I think being warmer (nobody's fault on that). Vegas looks beatable to me. They are pinching, but very vulnerable to odd man rushes the other way. A good strategist watching the tape finds a way to expose them and beat them at that game. Heck, it looks like intentionally cheating one guy high up and then (almost) icing the puck the other way could work. I think something unconventional like that could work against this team, I saw glimpses of it a few times.

9 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

:sadno:

Should have given Marky a rest and Demko some credit. 

Jake on the PP is a failure, similar to TG’s hot potato passing system. 

Meyers was worth his contract tonight. 

Brock played great. 

Horvat is a possession monster, winning draws so they can get the puck to QH and EP. 

Sutter was barely noticeable. 

Rooster brought desire, for two periods. 

Hrudy can’t say anything positive about the Canucks, ever. 

Hrudy is a bum. He’s almost as bad as Glenn Healy 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

We’ve had 50 years of getting better and yet here we are, the recipe for winning the cup has always been beating down the other team, we need a coach that can cook or face another 50 years of “we’re exceeding expectations”. Sorry, I expected the cup long ago.

I wouldn't dwell on the past. Future is bright, so enjoy the ride. 

8 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Oh God. Sorry if I think our team is more capable on paper than they play. Also since you're being rude, Reaves is a better player than half our team. He's one of the reasons we're getting killed in this series. 

Wut??? Is that why Reaves never gets on the ice when his team is behind?  

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

In all the disappointment this seems to be forgotten...

Bo, Miller, EP, Quinn, Motte, Boeser (on/off), Marky and Myers (when playing) have been our best players... this bodes well for the future.

Lets get back to the starting point... This was about giving the youngsters (new comers) a taste of the play offs... Both for them to try it and for management to evaluate the team under the severe strain of play off hockey. 

And without doubt a few things have become evident... There has been a few not quite living up to expectation (or not over achieved, which is needed during the play offs). A few trades will be made through the offseason.

Adding Podz next season will change the dynamics and on the financial side of things... whether Hoglander, Lind, Lockwood etc makes it remains to be seen. 

The D-core need changed as well. Think Tanev is gone, despite him playing well during the games... as there are a few new players starting to look for spots.

I just hope we add some meanness into the line up. We don't really have a Torres type or similar. It doesn't seem to be in Jakes DNA to be that type...

Reaves is a clown, but would nice had we had someone, who could take him on. Ferland (hope he recovers) is not going to be the one...

So all in all even with a 'different' coach, I don't think we would be quite there yet.

Before play offs started almost everyone agreed, we were at least a couple of years away, but because the youngsters played even better than anyone could have expected, the level of expectation seems to have gone through the roof for some fans... 

Dare I suggest it is a process, and as the old saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day.... This has been an immense experience for the group as a whole, and we are closer, than we could have imagined... 

Can I just throw in here, that Tampa, with all their riches hasn't won a cup yet and it took Ovi led Caps a fair few years to get it right as well. Just like the Blues, so have faith fellow fans. We will get there with the core players on this team.

Zero doubt about that...

Totally 

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

In all the disappointment this seems to be forgotten...

Bo, Miller, EP, Quinn, Motte, Boeser (on/off), Marky and Myers (when playing) have been our best players... this bodes well for the future.

Lets get back to the starting point... This was about giving the youngsters (new comers) a taste of the play offs... Both for them to try it and for management to evaluate the team under the severe strain of play off hockey. 

And without doubt a few things have become evident... There has been a few not quite living up to expectation (or not over achieved, which is needed during the play offs). A few trades will be made through the offseason.

Adding Podz next season will change the dynamics and on the financial side of things... whether Hoglander, Lind, Lockwood etc makes it remains to be seen. 

The D-core need changed as well. Think Tanev is gone, despite him playing well during the games... as there are a few new players starting to look for spots.

I just hope we add some meanness into the line up. We don't really have a Torres type or similar. It doesn't seem to be in Jakes DNA to be that type...

Reaves is a clown, but would nice had we had someone, who could take him on. Ferland (hope he recovers) is not going to be the one...

So all in all even with a 'different' coach, I don't think we would be quite there yet.

Before play offs started almost everyone agreed, we were at least a couple of years away, but because the youngsters played even better than anyone could have expected, the level of expectation seems to have gone through the roof for some fans... 

Dare I suggest it is a process, and as the old saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day.... This has been an immense experience for the group as a whole, and we are closer, than we could have imagined... 

Can I just throw in here, that Tampa, with all their riches hasn't won a cup yet and it took Ovi led Caps a fair few years to get it right as well. Just like the Blues, so have faith fellow fans. We will get there with the core players on this team.

Zero doubt about that...

Totally agree a great post. We are on a journey which will be very exciting with twists and turns and the squad will keep evolving. The core are young and very capable. 

Edited by Blaze04
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Green does the same thing though. We have guys like Mac who many don't know has amazing hands unless you watch him in the AHL, yet he never gets a scoring role. You have guys like Brogan Rafferty who are amazing puck movers and are in the upper echelon of dmen who can walk a line and make plays on the powerplay, guys like Justin Bailey are excellent forecheckers and can really add to a series like this. He's also capable of chipping in. Guys like Motte should get more ice time because they turn the tides of games. Guys like Pearson who haven't really done much when they're not contributing kill the team. Guys like Eriksson kill the team. Guys like Sutter kill the team. We need to keep a competitive culture and just because half the team makes bank doesn't mean they should be in the lineup. 

Not sure that it's reasonable to take players who do well in the AHL and toss them into playoff hockey and expect them to produce in the same way as they did in the AHL.  Canucks have seen multiple examples where the translation from AHL to NHL hasn't gone well - Boucher, Goldobin come to mind.  Do you take chances and risk the defensive lapses when the AHL cream can't keep up in the faster bigger more intense NHL?  We've already seen that with Zack.  He's had scoring chances and not produced.  Green and the coaching staff have seen these players in training camp and practices.  If he honestly thought that putting Rafferty or XXX in would give the Canucks a better chance at winning, he'd probably do it.  

Maybe if we can take it to game 6 as a back to back he might take the chance for the fresh legs option, but it's still a risk and may not be fair to the rest of the team if the reward isn't obvious.  

It's easy to speculate from the sidelines, but none of us have skin in the game.  

8 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Canucks with 47 hits.   shots were very even. We are only 1 of 2 nhl teams in history to come back from 3-1 deficit twice.  (94 and 03)  we will have to do it again. 

i think they did it in 91-92 vs WInnipeg too.

• Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin, in his 79 games here,

176 hits (led the team), 87 Blk shots, 74 PM

Tanev, Hughes, Stecher 

Last night,  0 hits, combined

We could have used Tryamkins toughness. 

Not to mention his SIZE. He could Have actually handled the much larger opposition.

Not saying the guy would be a Norris or Even a top 3 defender but I think jimmy missed the mark not getting this guy back here.

Our d has good players but it’s not a good mix. 

even looking ahead with OJ rathbone rafferty Not much of a phyical presence till you get to Woo. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Not to mention his SIZE. He could Have actually handled the much larger opposition.

Not saying the guy would be a Norris or Even a top 3 defender but I think jimmy missed the mark not getting this guy back here.

Our d has good players but it’s not a good mix. 

even looking ahead with OJ rathbone rafferty Not much of a phyical presence till you get to Woo. 

More than Tryamkin (with his contractual issues) I think JB miscalculated on our need for size on our back end. We've been drafting and signing D men, but no big ones Lol

Love this team. Couldn't be more proud of the boys. 

If this series was called down the middle Canucks would be up 3-1 or maybe even finished the sweep. 

The officiating has been a disgrace since game one of Minnesota. 

2020 Canucks are already Champs in my books. 

Still having flashbacks of the non call on gaudette being hooked on the 3rd Vegas goal ... Smh 

• Vintage 2

The difference in this series is the contribution from the bottom 6 and defense.

I just deleted what I had wrote with an off season and future plan of who should stay etc but the series isnt even done.

It is a daunting lead for Vegas and all we can do is chip away at it game by game

I am hoping for a big game from our bottom 6 guys. Down 3-1, we also get to see who brings it and has a warrior attitude compared with those who mail it in.

We saw against St Louis how the game changes completely when Beags, Sutter Motte, Jake are going.

We need them to get going if we want to stay alive.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin, in his 79 games here,

176 hits (led the team), 87 Blk shots, 74 PM

Tanev, Hughes, Stecher 

Last night,  0 hits, combined

We could have used Tryamkins toughness. 

He's not coming back. He will be 27 years old, and will be at a point where he will want to get paid to come to the NHL.

He's had 79 games in two seasons, and 11 points. He's going to want the moon, and the NHL will be very different when he looks at coming back.

He's going to stay in the KHL. He's closed the door, he just hasn't locked it.