The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 30, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, gameburn said:

You're right: there have been quite a few times when their fourth line spent their whole shift cycling/wearing down our D.

Overall we are missing what Leivo/Ferland bring and I doubt either are gonna be the same after their injuries. Levio maybe but he's gonna be without playing for a long long time.

Bottom 6 needs improvements eventually when we get more cap in the next 2-3 years. Hopefully in the meantime guys like Mac/Lind can step and bring those qualities we're missing. Might have to trade a winger when Pod/Hog are ready.

I also don't think our D is built right for the playoffs. Not enough physicality or skill. Rath and OJ could up the skill but we are relying on Woo alone to bring physicality, maybe Tryamkin too. Adding to our D prospect pool should be a priority.

Overall we probably won't see many UFAs till we get cap and Petey/Hughes are signed. Once they're signed and we have cap to make changes I could see us trending toward cup contention. Especially if some of the youngsters(Hog/Pod/OJ/Rath can surprise again.

18 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Canucks with 47 hits.   shots were very even. We are only 1 of 2 nhl teams in history to come back from 3-1 deficit twice.  (94 and 03)  we will have to do it again. 

I believe we've done it 3 times: 92 vs Jets, 94 vs. Flames and 03 vs. Blues. Maybe when rest is said and done we add 2020 vs. Golden Knights to this list?

• Vintage 3

When the Canucks are fully on that gas pedal, they look unstoppable. When that eases back, even a bit, it becomes disastrous. They also looked tired at points, including Marky. Given the extra fact of bubble living, I can’t see them being motivated enough to step up into high gear for 3 more straight games and for 60 minutes each game.

1 minute ago, Seinfeld said:

Sutter literally cost us the series with that half-ass clear he did.

Fire Benning, also. 

What about JV missing that chance. Marky tired, the brutal mistakes we made. It’s a team game. We played pretty good but we made mistakes. God “So and so cost us the game” Theres 20 players on a team!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, dougieL said:

For all of Vegas's success so far, their fans have yet to know what it's like to see a team of youngsters grow up together, go through ups and downs together, and eventually learn how to win together. That to me is the real joy of watching this team. Still really proud of this team, and still believe they have more in them to show in this series.

Yeah, there fan base are spoiled. Just remember, they may beat us this year but we will be spanking them for the next ten years real soon. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I know you absorb a lot of hostility from your comments on coaching, but a lot of actual hockey people on here leave you alone for the most part because you have a point. 

Once the playoffs are over, let’s make a thread to discuss team coaching. 

The reason they "leave him alone" is because he has no substance. He only recycles the same dribble.

4 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

He's payed to play hockey. Nowhere in his contract does it say he needs to prioritize any type of play. 

Tell that to OV, Laine and the other pure shooters.  Brock had a great rookie campaign because he was always looking to shoot the puck, not make plays.  He needs to get back to that and be more selfish.  How many legs did he take out in this rookie year?  Even if his shot gets blocked it does damage, and they wont want to block the next one.

2 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

Tell that to OV, Laine and the other pure shooters.  Brock had a great rookie campaign because he was always looking to shoot the puck, not make plays.  He needs to get back to that and be more selfish.  How many legs did he take out in this rookie year?  Even if his shot gets blocked it does damage, and they wont want to block the next one.

OV is the best goal scorer of our generation and debated as the best pure goal scorer in the NHL's history. I'd consider him an exception. Laine is an excellent playmaker, as is Boeser. One trick ponies don't tend to have successful careers.

Not capitalizing on those two powerplays in the second came back to bite us. We could have put them away, but we managed maybe two shots in four minutes of powerplay time. I knew one wasn't going to be enough, but I wasn't expecting us to collapse and give up three goals in the third. 

Realistically, we're not coming back in this series. I hate Vegas, but they're a very good team and we've only managed a single win against em in four games thus far, they're not gonna lose three in a row to us. I'd love to be wrong, but it's not realistic. 

All this being said, I'm incredibly proud of the boys. Nobody had us making the playoffs, many didn't have us beating the Wild, and very few had us beating the Blues. Our top players are all young and we've got some incredible years ahead of us, just because this season likely doesn't go our way doesn't mean it has to be a failure. Our goal was the make the playoffs, now doing that should be our expectation.

JB and co have some tough decisions to make going forward, hopefully we come back next season an even better team. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

So are we 

We are big but don't play big we are still soft as butter i miss Myers I want that Myers to puke on reeves.  Well the elimination games are the hardest to win so we will be seeing a game 6 hopefully 

12 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Frustrating thing is Vegas looks very beatable if we had round 1 Markstrom.

And now he's Panther Markstrom. So the question is should The Canucks start Demko next game?

So basically Vancouver has only won 1 home game in these Playoffs <_<

Edited by iinatcc

41 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

When the Canucks are fully on that gas pedal, they look unstoppable. When that eases back, even a bit, it becomes disastrous. They also looked tired at points, including Marky. Given the extra fact of bubble living, I can’t see them being motivated enough to step up into high gear for 3 more straight games and for 60 minutes each game.

Yeah, I'm with you. I think the boys are done come Tuesday. 

Bubble life. Demoralized with the loss tonight when they could have, and should've won. 

Markström didn't play great. Was ok. He needs to be on top of his game for the Canucks to even have a chance. 

Vegas will win on Tuesday. Series done in 5 games. 

&^@# THE NHL FOR GIFTING VEGAS A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. 

Who the &^@# makes it to the finals twice in three years as an expansion team? 

Edited by N4ZZY

20 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Frustrating thing is Vegas looks very beatable if we had round 1 Markstrom.

So, does Jim still give him a 6 million a year deal for 5 years? 

Or do we go UFA route, and keep developing Demko?

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not capitalizing on those two powerplays in the second came back to bite us. We could have put them away, but we managed maybe two shots in four minutes of powerplay time. I knew one wasn't going to be enough, but I wasn't expecting us to collapse and give up three goals in the third. 

Realistically, we're not coming back in this series. I hate Vegas, but they're a very good team and we've only managed a single win against em in four games thus far, they're not gonna lose three in a row to us. I'd love to be wrong, but it's not realistic. 

All this being said, I'm incredibly proud of the boys. Nobody had us making the playoffs, many didn't have us beating the Wild, and very few had us beating the Blues. Our top players are all young and we've got some incredible years ahead of us, just because this season likely doesn't go our way doesn't mean it has to be a failure. Our goal was the make the playoffs, now doing that should be our expectation.

JB and co have some tough decisions to make going forward, hopefully we come back next season an even better team. 

I agree. I don't think we're coming back. Maybe they can win one more game. But that's it. They're not going to win three in a row against Vegas. 

I hate Vegas as much as I hate Boston. But Vegas more because they're so good too early. Goddamn it NHL - it looks bush league when you have an expansion team making it to the finals twice in three years. That's just utterly crazy. 

I hope Tampa Bay rips Vegas apart. GO LIGHTNING GO!

• Upvote 1