The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Sept. 01, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Myers seemed to really frustrate Tuch yesterday. Kept him off the scoresheet and pretty much neutralized him. 

Truly feel if Myers was there from the start and 100% that we’d be going to game six still but games would have been much closer and that we could possibly sitting on top.   He’s a playoff beast and manages to walk the line all game (usually costing us one but would take that every day).   He’s also quick for a big guy and good at gaining the zone and wiring one on net ... most importantly he gives Edler and Tanev a break.    Liked QHs getting some time with Myers, Tanev is great at his game -  but always thought when we signed  Myers we should try QHs with him.   In this series it might end up a tweak that pays dividends. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Saying such a thing in these times is a goddamn atrocity.

If you can’t see that, you just announced which side you’re on.

Please, don't start with the whole labeling/picking sides/us-and-them thing. 

It was an incredibly stupid comment but there is no evidence to suggest that this is anything more than an incredibly stupid comment made by a jock with too much meat between his ears. Given the current social climate, I highly doubt Smith would have consciously made the connection between the horrific death of GF and a hockey game. It's a common expression, used at the absolute wrong time, but I'm willing to give Smith the benefit of the doubt and not accuse him of malice. You know, people can make an honest mistake, however obtuse they may seem, without deserving to be labelled a racist. He should be allowed to apologize and move on from this with the lesson that he needs to choose his words far more carefully.

Edited by nowhereman
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Met his brother Jim a couple of times. That was long before his coaching career. (Many will remember his classic meltdown on the bench....breaking sticks and ripping off his jacket, when he was coaching in Abby)

Funny thing is, the brothers really looked nothing alike. Jim looked Caucasian, while Larry was obviously First Nations....

He was sure the big deal at the zoo - packed the place for every Sabres game.

12 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

Please, enough with this labeling/picking sides/us-and-them thing. 

It was an incredibly stupid comment but there is no evidence to suggest that this is anything more than an incredibly stupid comment made by a jock with too much meat between his ears. Given the current social climate, I highly doubt Smith would have consciously made the connection between the horrific death of GF and a hockey game. It's a common expression, used at the absolute wrong time, but I'm willing to give Smith the benefit of the doubt. You know, people can make an honest mistake, however obtuse they may seem, without deserving to be labelled a racist. He should be allowed to apologize and move on from this with the lesson that he needs to choose his words far more carefully.

i agree with your statement, but i dont really think its a common expression though lol, just bad timing.

13 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

i agree with your statement, but i dont really think its a common expression though lol, just bad timing.

I've heard the expression enough times, especially in sports (and even politics... see Obama), that I'm confident Smith wasn't reaching to offend someone. Personally, I don't know how anyone could be so dense as to actually make that statement but that's part of the reason I'm giving him a pass here. It's too obvious to be a targeted comment. If anything, it just proves Smith's IQ is probably not that much higher than his plus/minus. 

Edited by nowhereman
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

This whole "experience" talk is just a way to keep young guys like Demko down. He's been ready. I think a young big forward will help us make space out there with a wide body that hits.We have good players but we need just a touch of truculence along the board battles. Juice alluded to it as well.

Podkolzin!!  He is exactly this and more.

• Cheers 1

Vegas is absolutely loaded and no doubt is one of the favorites to win it all. I just hope Bettman and co tweak the expansion rules a bit to make it fairer to the rest of the league going forward.

I mean, can you imagine Seattle winning a cup before Vancouver? I don't think I'd ever be able to get over that one.

6 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The bog equalizer for guys of Stetcher’s stature is the hip check. Ballard was 5’11 199, but a terror to play against. We had a bigger, better version in Hamhuis (who also had a great hip check). Really unfortunate that the NHL decided to take it out of the game - they’d have been better advised to take the forearm shiver out of the game (the means by which big players destroy smaller players and which takes no skill) the hip check was the equalizer - so long as it is delivered above the knees. 

did they actually fully get rid of the hip check?, dont remember hearing about it.

5 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Vegas is absolutely loaded and no doubt is one of the favorites to win it all. I just hope Bettman and co tweak the expansion rules a bit to make it fairer to the rest of the league going forward.

I mean, can you imagine Seattle winning a cup before Vancouver? I don't think I'd ever be able to get over that one.

i really hope it some how really screws over vegas though.

Edited by TNucks1

16 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Seattle was already smack talking us a year ago, if memory serves correct we sat back and took it.

32 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

It is. Google.... 'Keep foot on neck' 

I have used it many times, as have posters on this board, when the Nucks are leading it is a request I have made of them.

i will try not to use it for a while out of respect for the current climate. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Dunno...

Considering the times and that the NHL wants to do the work to be more “inclusive”, that would be the path.

The path towards what? Complete and total censorship?

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Think of it like an unintentional elbow that ends a career.

No. That’s ridiculous. Reilly’s statement, as dumb as it is, in no way is even in the same universe as a career ending hit. 

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Not intended. But it happened.

Reilly said what he said. Based on the NHL’s previous reactions to player statements, an in person visit would show consistency. 

• Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Pretty sure they were paired up at some point during the STL series as I seem to recall QH coughing up the puck and TM bailing him out with his long stick  averting a breakaway. 

And if they get rough with Quinn again, Myers can crush them. 

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It is. Google.... 'Keep foot on neck' 

I have used it many times, as have posters on this board, when the Nucks are leading it is a request I have made of them.

i will try not to use it for a while out of respect for the current climate. 

guess i just havent seen it around ina long time.