The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Sept. 01, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Great game for Demko.  Speculation about Markstrom can wait.

To give the Knights credit they are amazing at breaking up plays.  Such active sticks always intercepting passes and blocking shots.  Has frustrated our guys a lot.

Pettey took a beating last night.  I know he takes a bit every night but last night was ridiculous including some clear targeting of his head.

Bottom six really needs to step up.  Motte has been great but past that we need some support.  Sutter looked like skating in quicksand tonight.  Jake just looks like he isn't interested.  If Jake would play like most of the Knights play, fast in your-face hockey, it would make a huge difference.  I do wonder if lack of fitness is catching up to him as his acceleration just isn't what it is usually.

On to game six.  Lets hope for another great start from Thatcher.

This win should swing momentum our way for game 6.  Tomorrow nights game is going to be the hardest to win by far, Vegas is going to put up one hell of a fight.  We're due for a shutout, and a high scoring game though.  If we win tomorrow anything can happen game 7.  Let's get two more wins and shock the world.

23 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

This win should swing momentum our way for game 6.  Tomorrow nights game is going to be the hardest to win by far, Vegas is going to put up one hell of a fight.  We're due for a shutout, and a high scoring game though.  If we win tomorrow anything can happen game 7.  Let's get two more wins and shock the world.

I don't know if we have momentum yet.  We hung on for dear like and just barely made it in game 5.  It was like Eric Roberts in Best of the Best.

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't know if we have momentum yet.  We hung on for dear like and just barely made it in game 5.  It was like Eric Roberts in Best of the Best.

You may be right, but the Knights have to feel frustrated after that game.

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Markstrom starts his decline right as the rest of the group is peaking.  He's great now, but if he gets more than 4 years his contract's going to be awful near the end.  Demko stepping up and showing he can handle the pressure gives Benning a lot more leverage knowing that walking away is a reasonable option. 

I see a lot of similarities with this group to Chicago in 08-09.  Hawks moved on from Khabibulin and then Niemi before finding their long-term option in Crawford, using the cap space to keep as many of their young stars as possible.

If Markstrom gets 6.5-7 with term but allows himself to be exposed in the ED. It might just be enough to deter  Seattle from taking him. Not saying thats the right move. However it would protect Demko and Markstrom could still be moved at a later date to a contending WIN NOW mode team farther away than Seatttle. . 

Edited by Whalespray

8 hours ago, rychicken said:

VC and Deb can be 1 and 2 in either order, Dumb Nuck third please....

That one guy who always complains about not being able to put Deb on ignore, would have a complete meltdown if she were allowed to be part of the postgame Q&A ;) 

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

To be honest, we might win but I don't think we'll be in their heads.  We're massively overmatched and the ice has been tilted about 70 degrees in every single game.  We are squeaking out wins and we may win the series, but it's going to look like John Grizzly vs. Lincoln Hawk II in Over the Top, something we'd only be able to pull off once if the stars aligned and we gave it absolutely everything we had.

I suppose if Demko has another zero or one goal game then maybe he would start to get into their heads, but that's the only way we would do so.  Vegas knows they're outplaying us and they've done everything from blow us out to shut us out to come back from behind in the third period.

Totally agree. You cannot watch an on slot like that and not appreciate the Vegas team. Demko didn't see many of the shots he stopped which says something about his positioning but also about Vegas luck. Would love a Game #7. Credit the Canucks for being able to clear their zone a tad better in the 3rd. Edler is a monster out there and Meyers is getting back up to speed. Mott has another wow game. 

Win or lose EP40 is adding to the legend. Amazing hockey player and a real leader. What he will do over his career will be fun to watch.  

• Vintage 3

8 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Ever since we got Tofolli I wanted to see him with Horvat and Pearson, yet Green just won’t do it . Maybe Thursday is the day ?

He’s put Tanner and Tyler together with Petey for sure, a few times now. But with the lotto line back on, and the 3rd line struggling a bit, he might try to put Toffoli down to stabilize a bit. Who knows.

7 hours ago, Tystick said:

What do you guys think about switching Sutter for MacEwen?

Sutter looks a little bit tired and maybe you get a Demko effect by putting a fresh young guy like Mac in. I wonder if Juolevi wouldn’t help too. He is an excellent puck mover. It would be out of character for Green to take such a risk if someone isn’t hurt. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

To be honest, we might win but I don't think we'll be in their heads.  We're massively overmatched and the ice has been tilted about 70 degrees in every single game.  We are squeaking out wins and we may win the series, but it's going to look like John Grizzly vs. Lincoln Hawk II in Over the Top, something we'd only be able to pull off once if the stars aligned and we gave it absolutely everything we had.

I suppose if Demko has another zero or one goal game then maybe he would start to get into their heads, but that's the only way we would do so.  Vegas knows they're outplaying us and they've done everything from blow us out to shut us out to come back from behind in the third period.

That is called getting into their heads when the feel they are better and cannot put us away. It will frustrate them and doubt creeps in. You make more mistakes when that happens.

• Cheers 1