The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blues trade Jake Allen, 2022 7th-round pick to Canadiens for 2020, 3rd-round pick, 2020 7th-round pick

Wow, that is quite the steal for Montreal.  Allen may not be quite the starter he was pegged to be, but he is certainly close.  This completely solidifies the goaltending in Montreal.  Not sure what St Louis is doing other than telling Binnington that "he is the guy" after these playoffs.

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

Wow, that is quite the steal for Montreal.  Allen may not be quite the starter he was pegged to be, but he is certainly close.  This completely solidifies the goaltending in Montreal.  Not sure what St Louis is doing other than telling Binnington that "he is the guy" after these playoffs.

That had literally no cap space and have to sign Pietrangelo to at least 8.5m per season if not 10m. They still need to dump another 7-8m at least.

Montreal essentially realizing they have to extend Price's career by not burning him out every season. 

And Stl realizing they're in a situation with a covid-cap.  

Only question is when - not if - Stl makes additional moves.   

Too much money for a backup.

I get that they want a backup that can play more games so Price isn’t burned out but that’s way too much money tied in goalies.

Blues had to make a move to re-sign Pietrangelo so good deal for them. Looks like we’ll be seeing lots more Binnington :bigblush:

16 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

That had literally no cap space and have to sign Pietrangelo to at least 8.5m per season if not 10m. They still need to dump another 7-8m at least.

I would imagine Pietrangelo is around 8.5 which is a 2 mil raise.  To me their key focus would be trying to move out Bozak to reclaim the cap even if they have to pay to make him go away.  If Pietrangelo asks for 10 then they would walk away 100%.  I think they needed a solid 1B type goalie in Allen, so this could start the decline of St Louis already.

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is a lot of money tied up in goaltending for Montreal.

It also shows how cheap it would be to get a solid veteran to play alongside Demko IF Markstrom’s contract demands are just too much.

It’s only 1 season and Montreal has the cap space to make to move.  It could pay huge dividends.  Also. It was cheap because there was no retention or money going back to St Louis.