The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Pietrangelo - Lack of deal with Blues ‘a little disappointing’

grandmaster

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Edlers going to be 35 next year before the season is out too...at 6 million.   Alex P is a different level player.    Like Weber was at the same age, keeps putting up double digits in goals and in his prime has just put up his fourth consecutive 52 point season limited to 70 games (and 16 goals).    Injuries are always a risk with any player.    Is he Burns like?  As in will he just keep getting better?  Doubtful -  but he should be just fine until he’s 35, maybe longer.   Chara is another example.   Didn’t start going down until 38ish and even at 43 still played over 20 mins.   I don’t think many teams will be too worried about AP and a seven year deal IF they get the opportunity to court him.   Most teams would be stoked for the opportunity. 

even with all that being said. I don't think we have room for him though. 

If the rumour mill is true and the Canucks are looking to bring back all three of Toffoli, Tanev and Markström. Where is there enough cap space to sign Pietrangelo? 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

even with all that being said. I don't think we have room for him though. 

If the rumour mill is true and the Canucks are looking to bring back all three of Toffoli, Tanev and Markström. Where is there enough cap space to sign Pietrangelo? 

Easy, just trade Eriksson, Sutter, Roussel and Baertschi, that's like 16 million right there!

• Cheers 1

On 9/14/2020 at 4:53 PM, Fanuck said:

AP likely signs between 8-9'ish mil per whatever term and we're paying Loui and Sven over 9+ mil combined.....really puts into perspective what a couple bad contracts can do to a club. 

No, I think JB has done a fine job, just that there's a couple dud contracts on every team.  

Yeah I agree, add in the Luongo recap penalty, spooner buyout and slight overpay on beagle and Roussel. Not to mention Ferland on LTIR. These are dead cap spaces and that would had been more than enough to bring Pietrangelo to the fold as the eventual Edler replacement. Just imagine what our D would be like with him in the lineup:

Pietrangelo-Edler

Hughes-Tanev

Tryamkin-Myers

That would be a championship caliber D. 4 giant D man, Tanev and Hughes

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

That’s a Herculean ask in a flat cap world 

Unlikely, but not impossible (and I wouldn't 'dump' Beagle anyway). You're not likely to gain any meaningful assets in return, but they are moveable.

Could easily spend the asset to dump Eriksson. Retain 50% on Sutter and that's a movable contract. Same with Baer possibly (without having to pay too much in trade assets). Roussel is movable on his own. That's a bit over $12m cleared I think. Though if we're bringing in AP, Tanev unfortunately is gone off that list IMO.

From there we could either retain Stecher or target a guy like Braun for third pair though.

That said, I doubt AP is coming here.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, Tystick said:

If we can dump Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, and Baertschi, we can sign Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom and Pietrangelo.

Just saying lol.

If you did that you better get yourself right back into the UFA market and get us a couple bottom six centers, asap.

Allow me to submit a shopping list....

1) Brad Richardson

2) Nate Thompson

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

If you did that you better get yourself right back into the UFA market and get us a couple bottom six centers, asap.

Allow me to submit a shopping list....

1) Brad Richardson

2) Nate Thompson

I really liked what Thompson brought to Montreal this year  But holy crap did Philly fans despise him during the RTP lol. 

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I really liked what Thompson brought to Montreal this year  But holy crap did Philly fans despise him during the RTP lol. 

highlight reel fans tend to despise the guys that get 24% offensive zone starts.

they don't comprehend the value of hard minutes shutdown guys.

ermagerd, he was in his end so muchezzz!

101 faceoff wins, 67 losses in the playoffs.

60.1%

but, but he was -3.

What a bumb.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, oldnews said:

highlight reel fans tend to despise the guys that get 24% offensive zone starts.

they don't comprehend the value of hard minutes shutdown guys.

ermagerd, he was in his end so muchezzz!

101 faceoff wins, 67 losses in the playoffs.

60.1%

but, but he was -3.

What a bumb.

Agreed. I watched a lot of the Philly games. Thompson wasn’t the reason they lost.  He’s a great teammate, defensively responsible  and plays with an edge. If Vancouver shuffles the deck Thompson would be a great add as a 4C 

46 minutes ago, rekker said:

Imagine a Petriangelo and Hughes pairing. Dynamite. 

Petriangelo Hughes

Myers Edler

Stetcher Tryamkin Rafferty Rathbone.

i do like Petriangelo,  but wonder if a trade for Ristolianen gives us more longetivity.

Edler is gone in a year.

20 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Petriangelo Hughes

Myers Edler

Stetcher Tryamkin Rafferty Rathbone.

i do like Petriangelo,  but wonder if a trade for Ristolianen gives us more longetivity.

Edler is gone in a year.

I hear you. Eddy eats a lot of minutes. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

I watch a lot of Vancouver games haha.

Jay Beagle is the hardest minutes forward on the team.

He was tied with Pettersson for 4th on the team with an unreal +2 in the playoffs - as an exclusively dzone start, matchup center.

114 faceoff wins  in the playoffs.

62 in the Vegas series alone. 31 losses.  The vast majority in his own zone, where it's harder to win draws (the attacking center has the advantage).

When your 4th line shutdown center is +2 in that context, anyone that utters the words 'er why didun't the bottom six score  more?' or these overpaid veterans did not helpz the team = has literally no idea what they are talking about.

The Beagle/Motte combination was absolutely unreal in the playoffs - certainly among the best botttom six duos in the league.

Perhaps Bailey would look pretty sweet with them ?

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Perhaps Bailey would look pretty sweet with them ?

Bailey has a high end toolbox, for sure. I think one scouting report on him from his Kitchener Rangers days described him as a "linebacker on skates".  Very good, heavy release as well.

you never know - every year there are a few late bloomers around the league. I hope they qualify him - I think he's worth keeping.

MacEwen will want his say on the matter as well - between the two a pretty good competition of guys that can skate, are physical and have some upside.