The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Pietrangelo - Lack of deal with Blues ‘a little disappointing’

grandmaster

The Canucks can only afford him if they want to take the team to a new direction without Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen and maybe giving up a pick and/or prospect to get rid of some contracts.... and if players like Pettersson and Hughes will take Bo's lead and take a discount to buy-in to the program.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, peaches5 said:

They have Girard too who is a LHD so they could have OEL Makar and the Johnson Girard as their top 4 and then I would go out and sign a guy like Markstrom or Lehner to shore up their goaltending issues and they should be a legit stanley cup threat.

Bowen Byram... :ph34r:

By memory Johnson has 2 years left on his deal, and an NMC

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah I'm with @peaches5 on this one Ghost, Makar won't be getting anything close to 10 million.  You're far from the only fan that thinks so.  In having conversations about the future contracts of Elias and Quinn, some of our fans are throwing numbers out like 10 million/year and 8 million/year which is not going to happen.  

Agree with you on their goaltending btw, it is really holding them back.  Unfortunately I can see them making a push for Marky and giving him 6 million/year.  

10 million/year contracts are reserved for either the top 5 players in the league at their position (Panarin, Price, McDavid, etc), or for perennial all-stars that have won a cup or compiled a long career of excellence (Kopitar, Doughty, Kane, Toews). 

Mitch Marner is an outlier, and a big glaring mistake that Dubas made in structuring his team salaries.  I really dislike the fact that some 22 and 23 year olds are being viewed as worthy of these 10 million/year contracts.  The show-me contracts are unfortunately going out of style, but Benning absolutely has to try and get Elias and Quinn signed to a reasonable contract.  In my eyes, Boeser's agent has already priced him out of Vancouver... as I was saying to @IBatch in another thread.  

Sidenote for @IBatch, an arbitrator cannot give out less then 85% of a player's salary as compensation.  Looking at the history of arbitration cases, I can't find a single player that was awarded less then what he made in the year prior.  Boeser's 7.5 million final year is looking worst and worst the more I look into this.  

Hey thanks for mentioning that.  I was perusing articles made about BB contract at the time it came out when I made some posts regarding his next contract (given the gloom and doom I’ve been reading about it on this site) and two things that I saw maybe I should have included as links but I’m not that tech savvy ha ha.  

One was we could send him to arbitration - still - and the arbitrator would decide what is reasonable.   The second thing was JB could offer him a deal he believes an arbitrator would consider fair before he’s up, and if BB signs it doesn’t matter what the dollar amount is - it doesn’t have to be 7.5 in other words.   Also it’s only one year he has to be paid 7.5 .... that can also be worked into his next deal so I guess that’s three things that stood out.   It’s not an automatic one and done.  My only concern was how far off both sides were and that fighting and swearing were reported between the two sides.   Both wanted a long term deal.   JB didn’t at all agree with their side and just went out and plugged up all the remaining cap which personally I liked as a statement made.   The last month was all about a short term deal.   They eventually agreed on it - and it came in right about where it should have according to the computer that takes everything in and spits out a number (about 100k more generous actually).   

Im guessing the last number - 7.5 - was what BB camp was asking for on a long term deal - which at the time seemed reasonable and I personally was hoping it would be a Tarasenko type deal myself.     If BB doesn’t add some production I highly doubt an arbitrator would agree with his 7.5 - do you? 

Edit:  Hard to find a bridge deal quite like BBs too isn’t it.   Wish BB had a more reasonable agent - and would love to know what he thought BB should have got on a long term deal

Also - AHO and Keller will definitely give EP some ammunition when it comes to recent centers next contracts.   No way is he making Keller money on his next deal (7 x8), AHO is definitely a fair comparable.  8.5 ....  only on a short bridge will EP make less then 8.    10?  He’d have to score 100 points and have quite the playoffs to get that.   QHs is a tougher one.   Think Heiskanen and Makars contracts might play into that.   I’d be surprised if it’s less then 16 to get them both on long term deals, and less them 14 on bridge deals.   Covid impacts this too of course otherwise it would be worse for us. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

AP likely signs between 8-9'ish mil per whatever term and we're paying Loui and Sven over 9+ mil combined.....really puts into perspective what a couple bad contracts can do to a club. 

No, I think JB has done a fine job, just that there's a couple dud contracts on every team.  

• Cheers 1

9 seems about right for AP on a long term deal.   He definitely will get a raise, somewhere inbetween Burns and EK/Doughty.   RHD helps his case some, Covid does not otherwise with all teams getting three or so more as usual he’d have cashed in huge.    As far Cs go the top 21 are all paid more then 7 (which is part of the reason we are looking at 8plus  for EP next year),  RHDs are right up there as far as value goes. 

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

The Canucks can only afford him if they want to take the team to a new direction without Markstrom, Tanev, Virtanen and maybe giving up a pick and/or prospect to get rid of some contracts.... and if players like Pettersson and Hughes will take Bo's lead and take a discount to buy-in to the program.  

Yep we sure could.    Maybe need to trade Pearson to make it all fit in, then take our medicine for a year ... which could easily still mean improvement. 

45 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, probably.  Montour brings more size and bite, but isn't noticeably better than Stetcher beyond that.  And he'll cost more, maybe quite a bit more, in cap space. 

A couple inches maybe, but they're basically the same weight, and I'd wager similar 'bite' as well. (Stecher, despite his size, is no pushover either and given similar weight vs height, built more solidly).

And yes, Montour likely costs more. No thanks.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

AP likely signs between 8-9'ish mil per whatever term and we're paying Loui and Sven over 9+ mil combined.....really puts into perspective what a couple bad contracts can do to a club. 

No, I think JB has done a fine job, just that there's a couple dud contracts on every team.  

I wouldn't use Baer's contract as evidence of a dud contract. He can't predict concussions derailing Baer. The Roussel and Beagle contracts you can use as a evidence of a dud contract. Beagle I like though, even at 3mil.

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

No Stecher or Tanev would cover a good chunk. We could make the cap space.

My concern would be, as good as he is, committing 6 or 7 years at likely around $8m, at age 30 for him

Good points. I’d love to have him, but the term he’ll be looking for scares me a bit. 

Also, if Gallagher makes it to free agency next year, I’d be great if we had enough salary cap left over to bring that warrior back home. 

11 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Good points. I’d love to have him, but the term he’ll be looking for scares me a bit. 

Also, if Gallagher makes it to free agency next year, I’d be great if we had enough salary cap left over to bring that warrior back home. 

It sounds like talks of an extension in Montreal are well underway 

Edited by qwijibo

17 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I wonder if the Avs could make it work. They've got a bunch of guys to sign this year and Makar and Landeskog coming up next year, but maybe they'd be willing to let some guys go. 

Not sure it'd be worth it for them at his age though, but a true #1 is hard to acquire. 

Pietrangelo coming to Vancouver would be &^@#ing awesome. 

#1 RHD that this franchise has been missing for all of its existence essentially. 

But he is 30 years old. How many years would he want, and would he be an anchor of a contract in the latter years? Can't imagine any teams during this flat cap, would sign him to a 7-8 year contract worth 7-8 million per year. What will be the quality of his game when he's say, 35 or 36 years old? 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Pietrangelo coming to Vancouver would be &^@#ing awesome. 

#1 RHD that this franchise has been missing for all of its existence essentially. 

But he is 30 years old. How many years would he want, and would he be an anchor of a contract in the latter years? Can't imagine any teams during this flat cap, would sign him to a 7-8 year contract worth 7-8 million per year. What will be the quality of his game when he's say, 35 or 36 years old? 

Edlers going to be 35 next year before the season is out too...at 6 million.   Alex P is a different level player.    Like Weber was at the same age, keeps putting up double digits in goals and in his prime has just put up his fourth consecutive 52 point season limited to 70 games (and 16 goals).    Injuries are always a risk with any player.    Is he Burns like?  As in will he just keep getting better?  Doubtful -  but he should be just fine until he’s 35, maybe longer.   Chara is another example.   Didn’t start going down until 38ish and even at 43 still played over 20 mins.   I don’t think many teams will be too worried about AP and a seven year deal IF they get the opportunity to court him.   Most teams would be stoked for the opportunity. 

• Cheers 1