The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

the most i'd offer him to sign here is 7.5m?

I don't think he will command 8-9m like some here are predicting in a flat cap and he's 30 years old now i'd be wary of giving him a long term deal. He will easily get term though i think. 

with Ekblad's name is floating around.. i'd rather we go after him since he fits our core's age group.. although it would probably take a lot to get him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

If Benning somehow can trade Eriksson, then make a deal with Seattle to select Myers in the expansion draft...it could potentially work.

But Pietrangelo is going to have A LOT of suitors. And he's probably looking for $9M+, long term. But man, would he ever fit our roster like a glove.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, D-Money said:

If Benning somehow can trade Eriksson, then make a deal with Seattle to select Myers in the expansion draft...it could potentially work.

But Pietrangelo is going to have A LOT of suitors. And he's probably looking for $9M+, long term. But man, would he ever fit our roster like a glove.

Nah

• Wat 3

If JB can dump Eriksson and Roussel/Beagle I'd strongly consider letting Tanev/Stecher walk if it means bringing in Pietrangelo. Preferably in the 7-8mil range. A covid discount. Sounds like a good few teams are going with an internal cap. So maybe there won't be much of a market for Pietrangelo, especially from teams that have playoff chances. With Eriksson on the books they'll be no way we can sign him unless we let all of Marky, Toffoli, Tanev and Stecher walk. Lol. Which just flat out isn't worth it. 

With all that said Avs are a solid contender. Their cap structure looks solid enough they could add a Pietrangelo and it wouldn't take from their top end talent too much if at all. But they'd lose some solid depth pieces. Also that would give them Johnson, Makar and Pietrangelo as their RD options. Detroit has cap but as a rebuilding team gotta imagine he's not gonna sign there.

Buffalo trades Risto for Nylander/Ehlers or something and signs Pietrangelo? Imagine? Lol. They do have Jokiharju and Montour so that's kinda doubtful. Not sure who else is realistically in the race for him. Arizona already has nearly 30 mil locked up in D-men. Edmonton has no real cap til next offseason. Lots of teams with cap crunches and those that aren't have internal cap structures they are trying to maintain. Interesting to see where he lands and for how much. Seems like a bad year to be a 30 year old big name free agent.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

That seems wild, but Rutherford claims to have spoken directly to AP

I can’t even imagine how those talks went.

IMO, anything under $8M AAV would be Pietro giving a discount, so expecting him to take $7.7M, without knowing the terms, and just leaving the team free to fill in the blanks however they want, is just nuts.

That’s the type of deal that should set off alarm bells off for anyone with common sense. That’s like some Nigerian prince level stuff.

I mean, the Blues could use maximum variability to backload the deal, give zero signing bonuses, and offer no trade protections. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

God no.  Have we learned NOTHING?

You don't like the 9? Or the 5? 

This is a premier defenseman. Really hard to get. I love this player .

This is not LE all over again 

Oh yeah   and a team captain of a Stanley Cup team!!!

Edited by erkayloomeh
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I can’t even imagine how those talks went.

IMO, anything under $8M AAV would be Pietro giving a discount, so expecting him to take $7.7M, without knowing the terms, and just leaving the team free to fill in the blanks however they want, is just nuts.

That’s the type of deal that should set off alarm bells off for anyone with common sense. That’s like some Nigerian prince level stuff.

I mean, the Blues could use maximum variability to backload the deal, give zero signing bonuses, and offer no trade protections. 

It just seems to make no sense, and esp. disrespectful toward a player who captained the team to a Stanley Cup.

Just now, erkayloomeh said:

You don't like the 9? Or the 5? 

This is a premier defenseman. Really hard to get. I love this player .

This is not LE all over again 

A little of both....putting a whole bunch of eggs in one basket when there are going to be big contracts down the road.

I love the idea of having him here....just not sure we want to tie in to a guy who's 31 (?) for 5 years.  At that price.

Just my fiscally responsible response.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

A little of both....putting a whole bunch of eggs in one basket when there are going to be big contracts down the road.

I love the idea of having him here....just not sure we want to tie in to a guy who's 31 (?) for 5 years.  At that price.

Just my fiscally responsible response.

Okay.  Alex Edler is 34 and will be making 6 here when he's 35.

So we would be paying a substantialy better player another 3 million who's almost 5 yrs younger and a captain of a sc team. 

Still seem dumb?

I was impressed enough with our team this year's PO that I think this could make us a contender .   What do you think??  Would we have gotten past Vegas with AP.? 

AP and Hughes.?  That's just to tempting. 

1 hour ago, Darkstar said:

Pietrangelo is the exact defenseman the Canucks need. An elite two-way defenseman who is right-handed. I really wish the team didn't shell out so much money on bottom-six forwards. If the Canucks can somehow get him, a first pairing of Hughes and Pietrangelo would be ridiculous.

Don't forget the 6m Giraffe, I Like Pietrangelo but in all honesty he is too old for our core going forward and is going to want big $ unless he goes to a specific team he likes then he might take a bit less.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1