The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Friedman] Canucks looking to “overhaul blue line” ...Ekblad & Cernak could be available

EP40.

31 minutes ago, rekker said:

Not sure on this. What is Ekblad's cap hit? Is he over his concussion issues? Florida would have to take LE back in the trade to make it work which may be ok considering they are probably near broke. 

why? he'd be the replacement for Tanev + Stech. Thats pretty much what their combined deals would be with Ekblads cap at 7.5. We can add in Juolevi's ELC by sending Loui to Utica. 

Edited by Robert Long

29 minutes ago, EP40. said:

I hear ya but disagree. Look at how Jones propelled CBJ to the next level. Ekblad would be that all around top dman. I feel our team has a much bigger glaring need on the backend and are surplus organizationally upfront.

So it’s a very sensible sacrifice to make to improve overall team balance.

Completely agree, Brock is a piece that has to go the other way to bring us that top D man

• Huggy Bear 1

50 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Ekblad has had injuries but is someone I've always liked when I've seen play. Dare to dream. 

Played all 82 games in the 2 seasons prior to this one. Not sure if he missed any for Florida this season. With that said Sutter was healthy as a horse prior to coming here. I wanted Ekblad very bad at the 2014 draft, if Benning can manage it I will forget every decision he made that I didn't care for. Lol.

7 minutes ago, bree2 said:

ekblad makes too much

Not a terrible cap hit for a stud RHD, Hughes will probabaly be more and he's not 6'4" 215lbs. Loose Benn, Stetcher and Tanev and add OJ on a ELC and I believe we save money with Ekblad

Edited by Sbriggs
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, EP40. said:

How would getting Ekblad be a quick fix if he’s the same age as Boeser?

It's not so much Boeser as the +s. I've been seeing. Podkolzin, 2021 1st and 2nd and list of anything young that's shown promise and would have to be replaced to quick fix RHD.

If people were just talking say Boeser for Ekblad right across that would be an even trade and my point is that's the kind of thing the Canucks can afford to wait for because at one time we were expecting the rebuild to go into 2021 when all the dead weight is gone, the stars are signed, we know what we've got, what we can get and what's expendable.

Let's say Podkolzin is an immediate star and Boeser is 15 points better as he approaches his ceiling would that be worth waiting for before you start wanting to make a gift of both of them and throwing in half the existing youth and prospects?

Edited by John_Guest
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

It's not so much Boeser as the +s. I've been seeing. Podkolzin, 2021 1st and 2nd and list of anything young that's shown promise and would have to be replaced to quick fix RHD.

If people were just talking say Boeser for Ekblad right across that would be an even trade and my point is that's the kind of thing the Canucks can afford to wait for because at one time we were expecting the rebuild to go into 2021 when all the dead weight is gone, the stars are signed, we know what we've got, what we can get and what's expendable.

Let's say Podkolzin is an immediate star and Boeser in 15 points better as he approaches his ceiling would that be worth waiting for before you start wanting to make a gift of both of them and throwing in half the existing youth and prospects?

No way Podz is going any where. If they have to add with Brock it may be a draft pick and maybe a prospect not named Podz, we have enough good prospects to add

8 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

Let's say Podkolzin is an immediate star and Boeser is 15 points better as he approaches his ceiling would that be worth waiting for before you start wanting to make a gift of both of them and throwing in half the existing youth and prospects?

I don’t think anyone’s saying or has said Podkolzin would be included as a +

• Upvote 1

Elliotte Friedman reported in his 31 Thoughts column that new Panthers GM Bill Zito will “explore moving one of the big tickets on his blue line to create flexibility.” This makes sense given that four players — Aaron Ekblad, Keith Yandle, Anton Stralman and Mike Matheson — combine to earn nearly $25-million on the backend.

Florida’s problem is that Yandle, Stralman and Matheson are all virtually unmoveable considering each’s career trajectory relative to their contracts. Does this mean that Ekblad and his $7.5 million cap hit could be available for the right price?

Vancouver would be wise to inquire if the Panthers are willing to listen to offers for the 24-year-old. He’d probably cost an arm and a leg to acquire, but it’s nearly impossible to acquire a young, top-pairing right-handed defenceman with term outside of the draft. The former first overall pick has been up-and-down with Florida and hasn’t fully lived up to expectations, but he found his stride this year. Ekblad is an all-situations workhorse with size, skating and two-way ability. He’s someone you can trust to take on the toughest defensive assignments and yet he’s also delivered 35-41 points in five of his six NHL seasons.

Ekblad was an elite play-driver this season with whom the Panthers carried a vastly positive 5-on-5 goal differential (69 goals for, 53 against).

I’m a firm believer that the Canucks should keep Brock Boeser this offseason, that trading him would be a mistake, but if a rare opportunity to acquire a player of Ekblad’s calibre opens up, this would be the one exception where dangling Boeser would make sense. I’m not sure how attractive a return centred around Boeser would be for Florida, but they would save $1.62 million annually and with Evgeni Dadonov and Mike Hoffman both expected to depart the team in free agency, their scoring depth looks thin.

- Harman Dayal

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, EP40. said:

I don’t think anyone’s saying or has said Podkolzin would be included as a +

I'm thinking more the "trade Boeser' insanity in general. Check out the proposals in the Proposal forum, here, for example. Try the Boeser for Jack Eichel one, for example, if you think nobody would suggest adding Podkolzin.

Hypebole here maybe, but there's a point to be made.

Edited by John_Guest