The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Friedman] Canucks looking to “overhaul blue line” ...Ekblad & Cernak could be available

EP40.

Whys everybody trying to trade Boeser.   if anybody getting traded its  going to be Virtanen/Gaudette/Hoglander/Lind/Picks.   They finally have offence and goaltending, I doubt they make any big changes for a couple years at least. This teams to young to be making these kinds of trades just yet. 2 seasons from now is when they're going start looking outwards for help after the cap clears up.  

Right now we need to dump salary to keep Markstrom/Tanev/Tofolli.   

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

I had a 1960 Mercury fleetside pickup years ago. I sold it at a weak moment and never should have. Always regretted it. Hopefully Ekblad is Florida's fleetside and we are the lucky new owners. 

Zito just got hired.  He barely knows the team and players.  I cannot imagine that he's going to be thinking of moving Ekblad when he probably 1st needs to get a far better understanding of what they have.   

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, bree2 said:

why do you people constantly add Boeser to every trade, Benning has already said he is not trading Boeser. just doesn't make any sense, when Benning got Toffoli to complete the top six and now you all want to give away Boeser and make the top six incomplete again! why not go with Jake, Gaudette, Leivo,  or some picks

Because Jake, Guadette etc don't carry the value to get us what we need. If we don't sign Tafolli I can see us keeping Brock but to improve our defense right away a move like this has to be made. We have high end prospects on the way for forwards in Podz, Lind & Hogs so Brock is the one under contract that we can leverage his value to balance out our team. Its not that anyone doesn't like Brock, including myself but its a hockey trade. A need for need as they say

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EP40. said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-matt-dumba-next-wild-trade-block/

> Harman mentions Florida is depleted of a 2nd line with Hoffman & Dadonov heading to free agency which is where a possible Boeser move would make sense...according to Friedman, Panthers new GM will look to move out a “big ticket” blue line contract to which Harman says Ekblad is the only one with positive trade value. (other dmen/contracts are essentially unmovable)

> A speculative deal would have to be Boeser+ simply due to the fact top dmen are valued more than top forwards. Maybe the only hockey deal I can remember in recent memory happening regarding a top D for top F was the Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen trade. Arguable no plus was needed with the forward because Johansen is a centre. (bit more valuable)

> Harman says the Canucks can look to target Erik Cernak from Tampa like we did with JT Miller. He’s 23, Tampa is in a cap crunch and won’t be able to afford him. If offer-sheeted at ~$4M, compensation would be a 2nd rounder. Cernak is a big body and already a better rated dman than Tanev whose declined has begun. Canucks can look to offersheet or go down the trade route and pay similar/possible even slightly less value to acquire him.

...what I’m getting from this is JB wants to better equip the Canucks backend and rightfully so. They were bombarded in the playoffs and held hostage in many sequences. 

There’s a few scenarios I see:

A.) Canucks simply re-sign both Tanev & Stecher keeping them for the right side (but that doesn’t change anything or improve the blueline if it’s looking to be “overhauled”) 

B.) Canucks keep one of Tanev/Stech and bring in a Cernak type dman 

C.) Canucks keep one of Tanev/Stech and bring in an Ekblad (who JB has historically been looking to add, a true top pair RHDman, as he’s been reported attempting to trade for dmen like Subban and Karlsson in the past)

D.) Canucks keep none of Tanev/Stech and bring in both an Ekblad and Cernak replacing the would be ex-Canucks.

Quite frankly I’d be pleased with anything other than scenario A. There’s no sense in keeping the same dcore if we’re truly looking to take the next steps to compete even more. It was evident this current d group won’t get the job done. If that means moving on from Tanev who has been so valuable for us, then so be it as long as it’s for improvement.

I think the bare minimum for Ekblad will be Boeser + Juolevi + 1st

Edited by peaches5

47 minutes ago, bree2 said:

why do you people constantly add Boeser to every trade, Benning has already said he is not trading Boeser. just doesn't make any sense, when Benning got Toffoli to complete the top six and now you all want to give away Boeser and make the top six incomplete again! why not go with Jake, Gaudette, Leivo,  or some picks

You're not getting a top 2 dman with a bunch of scraps. Trading Boeser and getting a player close to the same age that plays a position we are very thin on is a huge improvement to the roster. It is going to cost a hell of a lot more than Boeser as well who is the only player out of the top 6 who is really expendable. You're not going to trade Pettersson, Horvat or Miller.

59 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think this rumour makes a lot of sense.  I think the reality is a lot harder.  I am sure the Panthers are getting calls for Ekblad, not sure they would be interested.

If I was Benning I would look at what he did with EP.  EP came in, was better than expected and said who do I need to put next to him and found JT Miller.

Quinn Hughes came in and was way better than any reasonable expectations.  The next question he should ask himself is who do I want to put next to him.  I am not saying that Ekblad is the guy, but as I said in the other thread he is a nasty SOB to play against and a right shot D.  That may be the perfect type of guy to put next to Quinn. 

Problem is you need someone who can skate and pass the puck as well as provide that nastiness or you have Gudbranson again.

Would be damn expensive but we have waited 50 years to finally get a top D so investing in a number 2 should be a reasonable priority.

Amen Brother

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I think the bare minimum for Ekblad will be Boeser + Juolevi + 1st

I don’t think so, not at all. Will be more a secondary tier +. Maybe a B level prospect and or mid pick like a 3rd/4th/5th

...Ekblad’s contract is pretty hefty in itself and he hasn’t produced to what the organization expected him to when they signed it.

I was thinking of Ekblad as a target before hearing this speculation...  good omen y’all. 

Florida is looking to cut salary.  This is the perfect deal to move Eriksson, not as the base return, but his cap vs $$ will be appealing, as will off loading Ekblads contract.  I think they’re actually looking for inexpensive pieces like Gaudette, Stecher, Virtanen, and Demko (if they can leave Bobrovski unprotected for expansion).   They’re already top heavy, and won’t be looking to add a large salary.  

I can totally see this deal getting done. Likely a top 2021 pick in there as well. 

Edited by 70seven

16 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

You're not getting a top 2 dman with a bunch of scraps. Trading Boeser and getting a player close to the same age that plays a position we are very thin on is a huge improvement to the roster. It is going to cost a hell of a lot more than Boeser as well who is the only player out of the top 6 who is really expendable. You're not going to trade Pettersson, Horvat or Miller.

so we trade Boeser but keep Toffoli? why are our players worth nothing,  that you want to get rid of Boeser , Juolevi plus a first. Benning would be laughed at around the league

1 minute ago, EP40. said:

I don’t think so, not at all. Will be more a secondary tier +. Maybe a B level prospect and or mid pick like a 3rd/4th/5th

...Ekblad’s contract is pretty hefty in itself and he hasn’t produced to what the organization expected him to when they signed it.

Not a chance. This is a young D-man signed for another 5 years - his contract is really not that bad. He is big, strong and can skate. The only reason I can think of as to why Florida wants to potentially trade him is he has a NMC kicking in and it will last until his final year which it then converts to a NTC so they might be thinking let's tradef him before that kicks in. He isn't going to be traded without a big return and really if he's on the market then almost every team in the league should be inquiring about him. He has the potential to be a number 1 at the very least he is like Edler and is a very strong number 2 guy. 

Just now, bree2 said:

so we trade Boeser but keep Toffoli? why are our players worth nothing,  that you want to get rid of Boeser , Juolevi plus a first. Benning would be laughed at around the league

Worth nothing? excuse me? How is trading for a 24 year old d-man worth nothing? What team did you watch this playoffs? The defense was terrible. It needs to be rebuilt because Edler who was our best dman is 35 next year and he isn't going to be able to keep playing at the level he is playing at. If you sign Toffoli and if Florida is willing to trade Ekblad with Boeser being the core piece that is huge addition and makes the canucks much stronger than they are. Benning would not be laughed at if he was able to pull of a deal like that.

And also its not about wanting to get rid of Boeser its about wanting to make the team better. Boeser is not irreplaceable Toffoli can easily replace him. Try replacing Horvat, Miller, Pettersson.. You're not going to.

5 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Not a chance. This is a young D-man signed for another 5 years - his contract is really not that bad. He is big, strong and can skate. The only reason I can think of as to why Florida wants to potentially trade him is he has a NMC kicking in and it will last until his final year which it then converts to a NTC so they might be thinking let's tradef him before that kicks in. He isn't going to be traded without a big return and really if he's on the market then almost every team in the league should be inquiring about him. He has the potential to be a number 1 at the very least he is like Edler and is a very strong number 2 guy. 

Yep I’m not denying that. If anything, you’re devaluing Boeser. It would never be Boeser/Juolevi/1st. That’s 3 1sts. Florida would jump on that lol.

12 minutes ago, EP40. said:

Myers is "only" 1.5 million cheaper.  His contract isn't that bad.  Look at the offensive production of both players with their current respective teams.

6 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

He would be perfect to pair with Hughes.