The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player Ryan Kesler says there's lack of education across NHL in risks of pain medications

Rate this topic

TNucks1

https://www.espn.in/nhl/story/_/id/29946533/former-player-ryan-kesler-says-there-lack-education-nhl-risks-pain-medications

Former NHL player Ryan Kesler said the lack of education about a popular anti-inflammatory medication led to his chronic digestive problems, which he revealed on a Canadian sports documentary.

Kesler and other former NHL players spoke out about overuse of medications like toradol, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, on a TSN news segment called "The Problem of Pain," which debuts Tuesday night.

Kesler, who played 1,001 games for the Vancouver Canucks and Anaheim Ducks, hasn't played in the NHL since March 2019 because of chronic hip problems. To manage the pain, he said he would frequently take toradol, a drug not approved for long-term use. "I never wanted to hurt the team, so I knew I had to play. To play, you have to take painkillers," he said.

In 2015, Kesler said he developed colitis, a chronic disease that causes long-lasting inflammation and ulcers in the digestive tract. Doctors told him the condition was most likely triggered by the toradol abuse....(cont'd)

Edited by debluvscanucks
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

High dose, long term NSAIDS are a bad idea.

Safer to use Acetaminophen but then there's no anti-inflammatory effect. 

But both are still safer options than opioids. The line from Goon is so telling of how freely opioids were given out before: "Two rules, man: Stay away from my percocets, and do you have any percocets?"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Not sure how to view the guy's legacy?..just glad he skedaddled in 2014

For me Kesler should be in the Ring of Honour. He may have parted with the organization in an ugly way but he was still a big part of its most successful years. The Canucks were the top team in league in back to back seasons. Only 5 other teams in the NHL have done that since the President's trophy was instituted. 

Kesler was also such a big factor to the Sedins success. He really carried the team defensively. Watching the Sedins kill penalties after Kesler left was just deflating. Such a waste of their offensive talents. And so unfortunate to lose a player that was smart enough to understand how the Sedins operated on the power play. 

But hard not to admit that my feelings on Kesler are really tainted by the return on his trade. I know it's absolutely not his fault or his responsibility. That all lies with Gillis and Benning.

Kudos to Kesler for speaking out on this issue. I hope his quality of life isn't that severely impacted by clear medical negligence. Team doctors should have advised him better. 

I just watched the documentary and how the NHL handles this issue should be classified as a form of abuse or assault. Just gross. Kesler isn't living a normal life and he absolutely should have been protected from this. I'm absolutely gutted for the guy. 

Edited by CallAfterLife
Just watched the documentary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CallAfterLife said:

For me Kesler should be in the Ring of Honour. He may have parted with the organization in an ugly way but he was still a big part of its most successful years. The Canucks were the top team in league in back to back seasons. Only 5 other teams in the NHL have done that since the President's trophy was instituted. 

Kesler was also such a big factor to the Sedins success. He really carried the team defensively. Watching the Sedins kill penalties after Kesler left was just deflating. Such a waste of their offensive talents. And so unfortunate to lose a player that was smart enough to understand how the Sedins operated on the power play. 

But hard not to admit that my feelings on Kesler are really tainted by the return on his trade. I know it's absolutely not his fault or his responsibility. That all lies with Gillis and Benning.

Kudos to Kesler for speaking out on this issue. I hope his quality of life isn't that severely impacted by clear medical negligence. Team doctors should have advised him better. 

Felt his excellent play was marred by other things. Stuff we've all heard about Schneids, for example. Didn't like the public trash he threw at Backes(& was NO fan of that guy) either.

As a Van fan, proud when players carry themselves like the twins, Hamhuis, Edler, CT, Bo & Elias. I'm really glad JB has made character a major priority.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

just finished it was pretty good, nhl behind the scenes seem pretty damn shady.

It doesn't help that a lot of the teams are in the US. The way medicine is practiced over there seems like one big ethical dilemma. Interesting how none of the teams mentioned to have contracts with medical companies were Canadian. 

Just another reason that Bettman needs to go.

Edited by CallAfterLife
  • Cheers 1

One thing that I noticed when I was watching some clips from "All or nothing" (documentary following English Premier League football club Tottenham) is that in football, the trainers and the doctors are told to do what's best for the players for the sake of protecting the team's main assets: the players. 

There is a clip where Jose Mourinho (their head coach) wants to play Sonny (one of the stars of the team) after he injured his arm. But the team doctor was basically saying, we decide not you. And they were saying the same the same thing to Sonny, we will review the MRI results and then decide. Basically telling the player, we decide not you.

This makes sense since no one will want to buy a damaged player. For example, if Sonny is worth 60 million pounds now but if he plays through the injuries and his conditions somehow get worse, his value would plummet.

In the North American sports, the teams sign you for x years and they want to milk you out as much as possible during those x years. Knowing that, what Kesler and Quincy said in those interviews don't come off as a surprise.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Good for him for speaking out on this problem.  However, before putting the blame entirely on the organizations and their doctors, I'd like to have their point of view too on the subject.   I'm sure some, if not most of the players that take it daily, it hasn't been prescribed by the team doctors but maybe a personal doctor or who knows where.  

Edited by timberz21
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Good for him for speaking out on this problem.  However, before putting the blame entirely on the organizations and their doctors, I'd like to have their point of view too on the subject.   I'm sure some, if not most of the players that take it daily, it hasn't been prescribed by the team doctors but maybe a personal doctor or who knows where.  

I do agree that some of the blame must fall on the players too. I get that they want to make the NHL and stay there, build an amazing career by winning the cup and most importantly, make tens of millions of dollars that normal people can only dream of and set your family descendants up for comfortable life for hundreds of years... but at some point, you have to stop yourself. If you are hurt, just  wait until you recover from the injury.

But most of the blame still goes to the NHL and the teams. They have to do a better job of protecting the players and make the game safer to play and educate the players on the potential dangers of these drugs. And please take these dirty hits that can cause serious injuries out of the game! They need to be punished more severely and consistently whether it's the playoffs or pre-season and regard less of the team the player plays for (i.e., wearing gold and black jersey vs other jerseys).

Edited by khay

When it comes to ones own health, why people don't take a more proactive, educated and informed approach, completely baffles me.

That goes for the general population, never mind wealthy, high end athletes with even more interest in maintaining the best health they can (and the resources to do so).

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

When it comes to ones own health, why people don't take a more proactive, educated and informed approach, completely baffles me.

That goes for the general population, never mind wealthy, high end athletes with even more interest in maintaining the best health they can (and the resources to do so).

Agree, you can barely buy a box of Tylenol without having the pharmacist giving you the side effects...I'm pretty sure team doctors explains to the players the consequences of theses drugs and they choose to ignore it in most cases IMO.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

While I do agree with the principle, I would expect a doctor to have my best interest in mind when I tell them the symptoms I'm experiencing. Giving someone a medication before every regular season and playoff game that is only approved for short-term use is malpractice.

• Cheers 2