The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jets re-sign Dylan DeMelo

3 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Aaaaaand our RHD options start to fade. Would have been the perfect replacement for Tanny at almost half the cost <_<

Ha - if JB pays more then 5 on a one year deal I won’t be impressed.   4 x 4 is fair for Tanev, maybe 4.25 much more and it’s not worth the 45-65 games.    Love the guy and he’s a leader.   And want him back.   But he’s not a 5 million dollar guy anymore.    Hamonic and Brodie and Ceci and Shattenkirk all have “intangibles” that make them decent comps and decent replacements.   Character matters and all these guys have that too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Ha - if JB pays more then 5 on a one year deal I won’t be impressed.   4 x 4 is fair for Tanev, maybe 4.25 much more and it’s not worth the 45-65 games.    Love the guy and he’s a leader.   And want him back.   But he’s not a 5 million dollar guy anymore.    Hamonic and Brodie and Ceci and Shattenkirk all have “intangibles” that make them decent comps and decent replacements.   Character matters and all these guys have that too. 

Agree and I honestly believe he would get his fair market value if we had the cap space. That said, he would be crazy to take less term/money if someone like PITT or TO come calling with both. He has earned the right for one more contract and hopefully he gets it. If we ended up signing Shatt Deuces and landing OEL that would give us two former top-10 dmen which can never be a bad thing in terms of acumen, experience and grooming the younger kids. I have a feeling Shatty prefers an American team though based on his previous stops.  

55 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Excellent signing for the Jets. DeMelo is worth every penny and more.

This was expected in Winnipeg for months. They wanted to extend him ever since they traded for him. Maurice loved him, and incredibly responsible defensively.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Odjick29willkillyou said:

I said at "almost half the cost," which for what we have heard regarding potential contract scenarios is not far off if he gets 5.5 per from another team. Seeing these other signings is making me change my tune a bit though lol. 

Don't listen to media idiots. He's not getting $5.5 from PIT or anyone else. My guess is $4.5x 3 or $4x4 here. Maybe add $500k if he goes elsewhere.

• Cheers 1

That's a great signing for a guy that played 20 minutes a game and is defensively responsible. Honestly if Tanev makes more than 4m he is overpaid. Dillon and DeMelo all do just as much as he does and are making less than 4m. Plus Tanev is a walking injury. Hughes juiced his scoring totals, so hopefully that isn't deceptive enough to get Tanev a major paycheck. 4m per is about as high as we should go given the comparables. 

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

Glad the Jets managed to retain him - makes the 'rental' pay off imo.

Now just need to add Pietrangelo and the blueline is (almost) good to go...  (may need to move an Ehlers, however...?)

keep hearing laines name pop up, maybe they some how manage that.