The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

Okay, Cap Friendly has us at pretty much $8M in cap space with 15 forwards and 5 D.

Assuming Baer is in AHL that saves $1M and Ferland get LTIR that is 3.5.

The 5 D include Rathbone.  I assume one of Rathbone or OJ and Chatfield or Rafferty which adds $700-750k.

Hoglander would add $900k but presumably would bump someone from the roster so likely roughly even money.

Lievo would likely also be in the $1M range so again would need to take a spot and would be roughly cap neutral.

That leaves us $11.75 for a second/first right D, Gaudette and Jake assuming they don't get moved.

Seems we have cap to fill the position.

Losing Marky and Tanev hurts.  Calgary looked and saw what was turning into one of the best teams in there division and gained both by hurting us and gaining for them.  

I wouldn't have given either of those players the term they got so letting them walk was a good idea in the end.

We also need to change the Blue line more than shuffling around bottom pairing guys and this forces that to happen.

Has been no chatter about AP here but lots about Barrie.  Haven't really watched him to much recently though as try not to watch the Leafs.

Edited by DrJockitch

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Okay, Cap Friendly has us at pretty much $8M in cap space with 15 forwards and 5 D.

Assuming Baer is in AHL that saves $1M and Ferland get LTIR that is 3.5.

The 5 D include Rathbone.  I assume one of Rathbone or OJ and Chatfield or Rafferty which adds $700-750k.

Hoglander would add $900k but presumably would bump someone from the roster so likely roughly even money.

Lievo would likely also be in the $1M range so again would need to take a spot and would be roughly cap neutral.

That leaves us $11.75 for a second/first right D, Gaudette and Jake assuming they don't get moved.

Seems we have cap to fill the position.

Losing Marky and Tanev hurts.  Calgary looked and saw what was turning onto one of the best teams in there division and gained both by hurting us and gaining for them.  

I wouldn't have given either of those players the term they got so letting them walk was a good idea in the end.

We also need to change the Blue line more than shuffling around bottom pairing guys and this forces that to happen.

Has been no chatter about AP here but lots about Barrie.  Haven't really watched him to much recently though as try not to watch the Leafs.

Canucks have to assume that Ferland is healthy.  He wants to continue to play.  

8 hours ago, apollo said:

At the right AAV it won't be bad news lol 

Yeah! If JB and Co can get him for cheaper than market (a la Holtby) I would be happy. Barrie isn’t a bad player. But his salary expectations must be off the charts after playing in Toronto. Is it just me or does every good player in TO make wayyy too much money?

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Canucks have to assume that Ferland is healthy.  He wants to continue to play.  

Have to be at the cap for day one of the season, not day one of camp. 

We were over the cap last season, Benning just seems to work from the assumption that we will never be fully healthy and so will never have all the players in the lineup.

Still think it leaves enough for a good D man and not to far off an elite one in this climate.

5 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I get the feeling the flames are going to crater hard in the next few years. Gio is 37, now locking down oft injured tanev and an aging markstrom to long term contracts....could be a long hard rebuild if things go sour. 

I will feel bad for Marky and Tanev, but I will be just tickled WHEN things go sour 

I loved both Marky and Tanev but they are both flames now. And IMO the right thing was done letting them go due to the length and financial commitment. 

Jalen Chatfield and Brogan Rafferty both may be ready to step up we as fans will not know until they play just like any other prospect to ever come along.

Braden Holtby was a Stanley Cup goaltender and former vezina winner and chose to come and play 1B with Demko(screw you Edmonton)

These were both sad loses but at the end of the day we came out ok and will have to wait and see what out other talent can do to step up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Sorry I just got up... up next - Ceci or Hamonic on a 2/3 year 3.5-4  year deal.   That is if AP isn’t coming here.    Suggested 4 x 4 as our cut-off and apparently JB was even less.   Trust in the process, signing of injured 30 plus players to term rarely works.   Now if this means Barrie is coming here ala De Niro - might just take a break for a bit.   Barrie is built like a little tank - and usually I don’t put much emphasis in plus minus .... but in his case a quick glance adds a lot of credence to player doesn’t know how to defend.    Ceci or Hamonic will both do just fine as a temporary Tanev replacement, still think OJ is his long term replacement on the L side from within - with more offense. 

oh god &^@# no!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I get the feeling the flames are going to crater hard in the next few years. Gio is 37, now locking down oft injured tanev and an aging markstrom to long term contracts....could be a long hard rebuild if things go sour. 

Actually calgary probably needs an overhaul already, their top end talent simply is not good enough. Now that they have marky he is too good to let them tank. Mediocrity seasons ahead for them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

After sleeping on this I guess it is what it is. Living in Calgary and hating the Flames probably soured me even more yesterday. If either went to an eastern conference team I probably wouldn’t have hated this as much. It was time to move on. Hoping we don’t do a panic sign/trade and just play some young players. Hoping OJ and Rafferty will get some ice time. Maybe a step back isn’t bad. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Or Canucks can do the same what Toronto did to Lupul. Which means Ferland will be in LITR for the remainder of his contract. 

Lupul was injured and did not pass the NHL's physical.  Till that happens the Canucks have to go into the season assuming Ferland is healthy.  He wants to play and can seek a 2nd medical opinion.  The Canucks cannot put him on LTIR without his accord.   Teams have to have medical grounds to put a player on LTIR otherwise it's cap circumvention and they are at risk of fines that count against the salary and even the loss of draft picks.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Sorry I just got up... up next - Ceci or Hamonic on a 2/3 year 3.5-4  year deal.   That is if AP isn’t coming here.    Suggested 4 x 4 as our cut-off and apparently JB was even less.   Trust in the process, signing of injured 30 plus players to term rarely works.   Now if this means Barrie is coming here ala De Niro - might just take a break for a bit.   Barrie is built like a little tank - and usually I don’t put much emphasis in plus minus .... but in his case a quick glance adds a lot of credence to player doesn’t know how to defend.    Ceci or Hamonic will both do just fine as a temporary Tanev replacement, still think OJ is his long term replacement on the L side from within - with more offense. 

No Ceci please. But ya, I get what your saying. May need to sign a short term place holder until a real number two dman can be found. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Stelar said:

After sleeping on this I guess it is what it is. Living in Calgary and hating the Flames probably soured me even more yesterday. If either went to an eastern conference team I probably wouldn’t have hated this as much. It was time to move on. Hoping we don’t do a panic sign/trade and just play some young players. Hoping OJ and Rafferty will get some ice time. Maybe a step back isn’t bad. 

Maybe we get a top 10 pick next draft...Luke Hughes is projected to be there....:towel:...i'd get over things real quick if that happened haha.

JB seems to have his timeline clearly placed. It is not about building a team for next year it is about 2022-23. It is about maturing the players within the org that have potential of being on that team. Develop the current roster and supplement when advantageous. I wanted to move Tanev 3 years ago assets but understand why he was not. Weighing the risk and cost of re-upping Marky is another decision balanced against the potential of Demko. 

Canucks are no longer a team trying to rebuld their prospect pool in the desperate sense they were 4 years ago. JB now has legit assets. I am very disappointed that vets moving out did not bring assets back but that is not unique to Vancouver. Fixed CAP combined with a Seattle ED is tough. 

Still convinced JB has some irons still in the fire. Will watch today with great interest.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

So much for Tanev "sleeping on it". Lol. 4.5 is too rich for my blood. Guy has poor possession numbers, weak offensively, non existent physically. Glad he and Marky got paid. Also glad it wasn't with us. 

honestly, Tanev bumbled and fumbled the puck a lot in our end, he created a lot of fire drills (a reason why he had to block so many shots)....it was time to move on and find a dman who can move the puck so the play is more in the other team's end.

• Vintage 1

Benning, I surmise, is avoiding long term contracts (unless the player is superstar) right now because we have all those RFA contracts coming in the next two years:

2021-22 Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, Thatcher Demko

2022-23 Brock Boeser, Jack Rathbone, Zack MacEwen

The UFA situation looks better, but Bo and JT are due for raises 2023-2024 season

also:

2021-22 Tanner Pearson, 

2022-23 Braden Holtby, Tyler Motte

By not locking into longer deals with Tanev and Markstrom, there is more money to keep our youth corp paid and also do more free agent signings to extend our window to win the cup. It sucks losing them both, but Markstrom no longer fit the plan because of the expansion, and Tanev just isn't a top 2 D on a cup challenging team (which is where he slots if he plays with Hughes). 

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He was trying to land OEL.

I think his plan B was to circle back and sign Tanev.

Plan C is to sign Barrie and tell us how Chatfield, Brisebois and Rafferty are ready to take the next step.

He (JB) talked about Chatfield stepping in, but didn't mention Rafferty...wtf.