The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

Just now, Pete M said:

If JB is going with prospects on defence that he thinks are ready to take the next step, then it is important to sign a forward who can play a sound defensive game, who can score and who can play in the top six.....does anyone know of a player that fits this need?

Erikkson

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

JB seems to have his timeline clearly placed. It is not about building a team for next year it is about 2022-23. It is about maturing the players within the org that have potential of being on that team. Develop the current roster and supplement when advantageous. I wanted to move Tanev 3 years ago assets but understand why he was not. Weighing the risk and cost of re-upping Marky is another decision balanced against the potential of Demko. 

Canucks are no longer a team trying to rebuld their prospect pool in the desperate sense they were 4 years ago. JB now has legit assets. I am very disappointed that vets moving out did not bring assets back but that is not unique to Vancouver. Fixed CAP combined with a Seattle ED is tough. 

Still convinced JB has some irons still in the fire. Will watch today with great interest.  

Perfect.  Why not waste away our captain’s prime, not to mention JT Miller, when we can get better in 2022/2023?  I mean, it’s not like we gave up a 1st rounder that could be in the lineup in 2022/2023 to get better now or anything...

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

While I'd love to see us add a younger Cernak/Foote etc, I'm not counting on it. We won't be the only team thinking the same thing. I'd also be ok with us trading for the reportedly available Savard out of CBJ as well, with some of our F depth. This also keeps our overall cap expenditure down.

Trade for one D, sign one of the above guys and we're golden.

Then do some bargain hunting for F's.

Sign Barrie, Bogosian and Granlund and move a couple guys along that aren’t needed if we need to get under the cap.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Sign Barrie, Bogosian and Granlund and move a couple guys along that aren’t needed if we need to get under the cap.

Only way I want to sign Barrie is if we have a guy like Savard coming in. Even then I'm hesitant but at least then he'd make some sense.

Don't really see Granlund as a fit here either. He generally plays best on a very defensively structured team. That's not us. He'd likely be a GREAT fit on the NYI's or similar.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

Tanevs healthiest season he managed to paly 70 games... And that was when he was younger lol

He's I the wrong side of 30 now and is only going to get more fragile. 

4 years at 4.5 is an instant regret when not if Tanev gets injured from a shot block.

Most flems fans mock lineup has him on the top pairing with 40 yr old Mr Bean or that bust Hanifin hahaha what a downgrade from Hughes.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I think the organization has spent time developing their players and not rushing them into the line up as teenagers....especially the dmen.

As a result, they don't need to go out and sign placeholder UFAs for $3M + contracts....looking forward to see what these players (Rafferty, OJ, Tryamkin, Brisebois and Rathbone) will bring.

Look especially forward to see, how they fare against tough opposition...

There's 3 spaces available, with a further one most likely available next year... Will need some toughness on the back end... 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Only way I want to sign Barrie is if we have a guy like Savard coming in. Even then I'm hesitant but at least then he'd make some sense.

Don't really see Granlund as a fit here either. He generally plays best on a very defensively structured team. That's not us. He'd likely be a GREAT fit on the NYI's or similar.

Was thinking Bogo gives us that defensive presence we now miss from Tanev plus is a cup winner.

To me Granlund is the perfect fit fit Bo and Pearson.  He’s a playmaker to get them the puck as they both like to drive the net.  Nashville is a defensive team but he didn’t do well there.  Could be a nice discount contract too.

While Benning hasn't name-dropped Rafferty or Rathbone in the same breath as Juolevi and Chatfield, recall that Hutton and Stecher both made the team straight out of college, unexpectedly.  Rafferty already has a season of pro hockey under him, and Rathbone is likely a more well-rounded player at this point.  Would not be surprised if the team suspects one grabs a roster spot.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

There are still a number of UFA options available:

Pietrangelo

Barrie

Vatanen

Hamonic

Byfuglien???

TVR

Bogosian

K. Miller

I hope he targets one guy for trade (Cernak?), and signs one veteran UFA for cheap.

You could cross Kevan Miller’s name off the list. He re-signed with the Bruins:

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/394796-signing-bruins-re-sign-kevan-miller/

Run him and run him hard! Years 3 & 4 could really suck here if you know his history of injuries returns.  

Also what's up Calgary....you can't build a proper team yourself so steal ours? I wish nothing but the worst (hockey only) on you now as well Tanev. Sorry bud...you're a Flame now and it goes with the territory. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

honestly loving free agency this year, excited to see what benning does with the cap now.

so glad tanev and stecher and marky signed elsewhere, looks like benning is a man of his word when he said he wants to bring in new bodies to the defense.

also glad barrie is gone.

i dont think we will get pietrangelo but i assume we will get some d as a cap dump maybe nate schmidt or someone like that!

• Cheers 1