Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

13 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Nope.........

Go after Cernak....................they sign him........fine

Then go after Sergachev for 5 @ $6 M per

Then go after Foote and Palat as a compromise

no mercy! Hard and fast!

What I am saying @oldnewsis push their cap up and they will have to cough up something........pressure!!!!

I can't belive this. I was expecting Tanev to get $6 million a year for at least a few years. Can anyone explain to my why a guy like Tyler Myers gets $6 million a year, and why a 34 year old Edler gets $6m a year, but they only offer Tanev presumably less than 4.5 million? Tanev is one of our best players. He plays all the hard minutes. This club should be ashamed. This is a huge mistake. We should have taken him for 4 years at 4.5 million. Tanev = most underappreciated player in the game.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

A little upset with Benning on this one. 4 years is too much, but to offer only 2 years seems too little; should have tried for 3. 

I just hope he doesn't panic and overpay for Barrie or worse, trade a bunch of pieces for OEL.. I guess we're resigning Stetcher now as well. :picard:

Benning is learning as a GM, but he's playing hardball with the wrong pieces. He should've been doing this with all the UFAs he's signed over the years

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

What I am saying @oldnewsis push their cap up and they will have to cough up something........pressure!!!!

I guess they do have all their picks next year to use for an offersheet....

but I would still avoid an offersheet in favour of negotiating the end game because I doubt a Sergachev offersheet would be successful, and for me, as much as I like Cernak I think I'd prefer to target the two way younger guy that has not yet emerged....

someone might put the screws to Tampa - I think you might be able to achieve the same end by negotiating while they lack leverage nevertheless. 

We did just get JT Miller from them - in the above board way - perhaps there's a warm trail there?

If not, then offersheet!  maybe we just have the order of no mercy reversed...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I can't belive this. I was expecting Tanev to get $6 million a year for at least a few years. Can anyone explain to my why a guy like Tyler Myers gets $6 million a year, and why a 34 year old Edler gets $6m a year, but they only offer Tanev presumably less than 4.5 million? Tanev is one of our best players. He plays all the hard minutes. This club should be ashamed. This is a huge mistake. We should have taken him for 4 years at 4.5 million. Tanev = most underappreciated player in the game.

Myers and Edlers contracts were signed in normal times. The cap was supposed to increase by 3.5 million. COVID not only took away the increase but put pressure on a lot of teams to streamline. Now players that we could have traded are not affordable to teams that maybe would have made a deal in normal times. The cost of moving out salary became too much.Tough decisions had to be made.

15 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I have to disagree. Tanev is an elite shot-blocker but his transition game has gotten terrible and when paired with anyone but Quinn his drop-off was quite glaring. I hope Benning is going hard after Savard, Cernak or Risto and Barrie and manages to get 2 of them

Benning getting flamed on HF for doing the exact thing the haters wanted by not wasting money and not staying status quo is hilarious. 

Cap room or not, this and the Marky deal made no sense going forward and now Benning has room to sign someone and trade for someone.

I'm looking forward to more youth and some fresh faces that hopefully make us better.

I think without Quinn, Tanev is gonna get exposed a lot but good on him to get 4 years while playing averaging 55 games a season the last 5 years. 

this is based on negative value 'analytics' - the whole corsi or fenwick 'with or without' Tanev - is worthless and highly misleading.

if you have more to base those claims upon I'm ears, but I'm also curious what you mean by his "transition game has gotten terrible" = what makes you say that?

When Benning said they were going to let young players play, I hoped it didn't mean passing on Tanev if we could afford him. Hopefully this means we retain others and make some other moves rather than force Hughes to the right side.

I’m in the minority here, but I really like Tyson Barrie and believe he’ll pair quite well with Edler. Buuut I’d rather see what Rafferty/Rathbone could do in that role and sit on the cap space.  Wait for cap crunch to hurt overspent teams and find a useful asset for a song. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, 70seven said:

Schenn is back in TB

Ahh damn.  Didn’t keep up as much as I wanted to today.  

I really wanted a world where we kept Stech (just like his hometown attitude) but really we should be looking for some brawn on the 3rd pair.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

this is based on negative value 'analytics' - the whole corsi or fenwick 'with or without' Tanev - is worthless and highly misleading.

if you have more to base those claims upon I'm ears, but I'm also curious what you mean by his "transition game has gotten terrible" = what makes you say that?

Just my opinion from watching him but Tanev had issues getting the puck out of his end. He seemed to either fail going up the wall causing second chances or he would attempt to skate it out and either dump it and ice it or pass it to Quinn putting him in an awkward position. It's like the puck was a live grenade. Just my take.