The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

1 hour ago, Millerdraft said:

Harmonic is an upgrade on Gudbranson and that’s about it

Solid defensive defenseman, bit more physical than Tanev, great guy off the ice who's very focused on family.  Joke all you want about Guddy destroying him but he willingly fought Guddy to stick up for a teammate knowing he'd lose the fight.  Requested a trade to western Canada to be closer to Winnipeg for off-ice reasons, so we'd likely have a good shot at signing him if Winnipeg can't make it work.

I'd gladly take him on a short deal.

• Like 2

For the record, i dont blame marky or tanev, or benning for that matter. Guys gotta get paid. Unfortunately, the canucks have their core settled and benning now has to improve the team long term with players that should be getting better, not lock down money and term on players that likely could regress. 

I expect vancouver to take a dip next year, but be better the year after. Sucks but theres too much dead weight on the team taking up cap space. Not blaming benning, but im sure he knows it better than anyone. 

Tough break for guys that wanted to stay in vancouver, but concussions and little things have tied bennings hands. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Just gonna leave this here...

David Savard is a younger Alex Edler. I’ve seen a lot of the CBJ playoff games last couple of years, and David Savard was their most impressive dman right along with (not behind) Seth Jones.  

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Good on you Chris, gotta get paid. At the end of the day I'm ok with passing on that contract. If it weren't for the lock down I'm sure he would have been injured for the 7th season since becoming a full time NHLer. Over those 7 seasons he has averaged 60 games per year. This problem won't be getting any better and he has a lot of hard miles already. 

Was a good run.

He was injured and about to miss games right when the lockdown happened, if my memory serves me correct. 

39 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

David Savard is a younger Alex Edler. I’ve seen a lot of the CBJ playoff games last couple of years, and David Savard was their most impressive dman right along with (not behind) Seth Jones.  

I like this. The tough thing is he might cost a 1st or 2nd. Should he get a contract extension, I'd be good with that. That being said, it makes me think that if we pay the 1st or 2nd +, wouldn't it be better to look at trying for one of the RFAs from Tampa instead? Or where ever else a team is vulnerable to an offer sheet?

Edited by Noseforthenet

Nothing against Tanev or Markstrom, this was their opportunity to cash in and you can't fault them for taking it. They're great guys and I'm glad we got to spend a sizable chunk of their careers cheering them on as Canucks.

I wish them all the best personally, but they chose to go to the Flames, and their success will only help Calgary, so I have no choice but to hope they crash and burn.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

For the record, i dont blame marky or tanev, or benning for that matter. Guys gotta get paid. Unfortunately, the canucks have their core settled and benning now has to improve the team long term with players that should be getting better, not lock down money and term on players that likely could regress. 

I expect vancouver to take a dip next year, but be better the year after. Sucks but theres too much dead weight on the team taking up cap space. Not blaming benning, but im sure he knows it better than anyone. 

Tough break for guys that wanted to stay in vancouver, but concussions and little things have tied bennings hands. 

Well said. I haven't heard the details on Markys and Tanevs calgary contracts. But if there NMC's in them for the Seattle expansion I think we'll have even a clearer picture as to why they chose to sign in Calgary. 

Everyone is hacking on Benning for letting them walk, but he has not budged from his 2 year contract standpoint. Good on him for standing firm. He needs to protect his core of young players in the expasion draft. Of course this is a moot point if they are expansion eligible. I haven't been able to find specifics on either of their contracts yet...still pretty fresh. Will be intresting to see.

And you're right at the end of the day, good on them for getting paid. Especially Marky, he's never earned top dollar before. He's been in the leauge a long time but he never came to full potential till now, so he's never had a BIG pay day. I'm happy for him.

Edited by Attila Umbrus

I find the lack of loyalty in North American sports pretty interesting and an indication of how sterile North American sports culture has become. 

If two players signed with a one of your closest rivals in Europe there would be a bit of an uproar against them, yet here nobody really cares. It's only about the money. 

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

So much for Tanev "sleeping on it". Lol. 4.5 is too rich for my blood. Guy has poor possession numbers, weak offensively, non existent physically. Glad he and Marky got paid. Also glad it wasn't with us. 

Thank you. I like Tanev and his contributions, but I don’t care for that contract. For some reason I’m not worried about our team, I trust JB. We made it further than Calgary last year, and our young players already look much better than theirs in the playoffs 

5 hours ago, canuktravella said:

miller pettersson boeser

hoglander horvat ferland 

motte  gaudette virtanen

roussel  beagle macewen

lind 

hughes myers 

edler 

juolevi benn 

demko

holtby 

waive eriksson  baertchi and sutter sent to utica opens 3 mill up 

trade pearson for a young d prospect opens 3.75 

sign a good right hand dman 

15 mill cap

Bro Ferland is done. 

9 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

What happened to all those complaining about Tanev being injured all the time and that we had to ditch him?  And if we're going to improve the D, how do we do that if we bring back the same players?

Sorry I just got up... up next - Ceci or Hamonic on a 2/3 year 3.5-4  year deal.   That is if AP isn’t coming here.    Suggested 4 x 4 as our cut-off and apparently JB was even less.   Trust in the process, signing of injured 30 plus players to term rarely works.   Now if this means Barrie is coming here ala De Niro - might just take a break for a bit.   Barrie is built like a little tank - and usually I don’t put much emphasis in plus minus .... but in his case a quick glance adds a lot of credence to player doesn’t know how to defend.    Ceci or Hamonic will both do just fine as a temporary Tanev replacement, still think OJ is his long term replacement on the L side from within - with more offense. 

Edited by IBatch

22 minutes ago, wren223 said:

Im happy for Markstrom and Tanev. I want the Flames to do awful still though. 

I currently appluad Benning for not doing these deals. Remains to be seen if he now throws money at god awful Barrie or some other floatsome. Markstrom and Tanev wanted term and that just wasn’t a good idea. Everyone bemoans Eriksson’s deal and that’s what these would have become. It would have cost us Demko and handcuffed the team going forward.

Stay the course right now. If it means we are a bit worse next year then so be it. Another reason why making the playoffs this year and getting that pick in the Miller trade sorted out was so important. 

Yep.   

It will definitely be weird seeing Tanev and Marky in gross Flames uniforms. Hate those colors.

I agree with posters above - long term they don't fit. Benning is making our job as fans easy. He's making these tough decisions for us.

If it were me I would have signed both because I hate to see either of them elsewhere. Especially that elsewhere being Calgary.

Juolevi, Rathboth, Demko all get to play now. Sign Toffoli and call it good. If OEL is still available then do it at the right price, but don't sell our future supporting cast (Rathbone, Juolevi, Demko, Pod, Hog).

Tough day for sure, but who said we would be $#!¥ing sunshine and lollipops.

1 hour ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I find the lack of loyalty in North American sports pretty interesting and an indication of how sterile North American sports culture has become. 

If two players signed with a one of your closest rivals in Europe there would be a bit of an uproar against them, yet here nobody really cares. It's only about the money. 

Good point.   The cap ruined two things in the NHL and they are connected - rivalries and dynasties.   The best rivalry In sports in the 80’s was EDM/CAL - because both had incredible teams going hammer and tong against each other both in the regular season and the playoffs.   For almost a decade whoever came out of it was mostly a cup winner - or a finalist.   Then COL/DET in the 90’s...seven times they met in the playoffs .   Some serious hate brewing.    Neal/Lucic just might be the biggest trade CAL/EDM have ever made and no way would players consider going to their rival once free agency opens up - the hate was that strong.   When those guys talk about it they say they still get butterflies when they see their hated rivals logo.   And they’ve been retired a long time now, heck some were baby bombers. 

I know that the economic climate of the game required the cap - and am happy that it gives any team a chance at any given year.   But it’s in some ways the fans that end up suffering the most for it.   Losing players you’d otherwise keep - and watching them switch sides (and for me personally at least Calgary is the longest and best rivalry we’ve ever had if you can say that, apologies to COL of the WCE era and CHI of the Sedin era) still sucks. 

Edited by IBatch