The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Look at the space to end this upcoming covid shortened season which will have pro-rated contracts just to ensure players get paid.  Now look at essentially every other team in our division, then conference.  

In 2 seasons we'll have over $33 million in cap space with most of our players still on ELC's or on their first extensions; possibly in the event of Horvat/Boeser their long term extensions.

There's a lot of teams that will have decent cap space in 3 years in our conference, but we're one of only 2 teams that actually will be getting effectively younger while we head down that road while still have players coming up on ELCs worth mentioning. Almost universally the rest will be heading towards aging player cap hell and trying to fill the holes with another team's Tanevs and Markstroms.

We're in a rough spot this coming season.  Sure, admittedly.  But after that it's wide open and the Canucks are either by accident or design set for long term prosperity no matter who is in charge based on current prospects, cap space and depth/youth

thats it, this is what Jim clearly had in his sights with offering Marky and Tanev less term. 

I suppose there's still the opportunity for a depth move like circling back to Stecher for a 1 year deal (which I think he'd take) or maybe a trade. 

I know a lot of Calgary fans are on the fence about this. Which is understandable. But some of the Flames fans I know personally are so irritating when things like this happen. You would think they just landed the second coming of Martin Brodeur and Nick Lidstrom. 

The best part was I vividly remember a guy at work telling me Vancouver doesn’t have goaltending. This was October last year. And now he’s all gitty today about signing Markstrom. All the sudden he’s a good goalie.This guy tried telling me Gaudreau is better than McDavid though. 

I know I can be a homer sometimes but man....

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I was thinking about this scenario a few weeks ago and made a post about It, and the general consensus was taking a moderate step back to have a crap ton of cap space after next season was worth it. Now that its a reality I think thats a good thing to remember, after next season there are no cap issues and there's a great young core.

Most of that cap space is just going to be used to resign Boeser, Demko, Petey & Hughes.  

I know we were handicapped by the cap and previous bad decisions, but damn we are looking a hell of a lot weaker than last season.  Tanev  and what he brought is gonna be hard to replace.  We need a defensively minded defence man to replace him.  We need a Wille Mitchell!

Loved tanev, but 4 years was too much for him. Benning is having a great off season so far by thinking big picture and not locking into long term with Markstrom and tanev. Money wise both those contracts are fine but they don't work for us because Demko has always been the goalie of the future and tanev's deal is 2 years too long.

It's all about preparing for petey and Hughes big paydays and Benning is doing a great job so far. Just don't overpay for barrie now! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mj vic said:

I know we were handicapped by the cap and previous bad decisions, but damn we are looking a hell of a lot weaker than last season.  Tanev  and what he brought is gonna be hard to replace.  We need a defensively minded defence man to replace him.  We need a Wille Mitchell!

Yup,we need a decent skating bruiser on the back end,Kevin Bieksa v2.0

2 minutes ago, mj vic said:

Harmonic or Petro who does it all.

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Most of that cap space is just going to be used to resign Boeser, Demko, Petey & Hughes.  

... and Miller and Horvat.

It is a huge stretch to try to be optimistic by saying “if we tank for a couple more years we will have some extra cap space a few years down the road”.  We just came off some real momentum and positive feeing from the players who were all excited to get back at it.  We seem to have squandered that, and that translates into how much it costs to re-sign our upcoming players.  If we are one do the worst teams in the league next year again, how much more will that cost us for Petterson and Hughes extensions compared with it we were showing we are a team on the rise.

This was the time to pay some

futures to get rid of dead weight and to get better.

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

if you're spreading things out that far as of this moment there's 47 mil in cap. We'll be just fine. 

stings for next year but as far as cap management goes its a capologists dream after next season. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Provost said:

... and Miller and Horvat.

It is a huge stretch to try to be optimistic by saying “if we tank for a couple more years we will have some extra cap space a few years down the road”.  We just came off some real momentum and positive feeing from the players who were all excited to get back at it.  We seem to have squandered that, and that translates into how much it costs to re-sign our upcoming players.  If we are one do the worst teams in the league next year again, how much more will that cost us for Petterson and Hughes extensions compared with it we were showing we are a team on the rise.

This was the time to pay some

futures to get rid of dead weight and to get better.

or wait a year and use those futures on actual players. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Provost said:

We have had a year to negotiate with Tanev and didn’t even tender him an offer until free agency started and after several decent value UFA RD were already off the market.

This isn’t a “try” league... 

We can only judge his moves so far, not imagined future moves.

On the face of it, it does look a bit insulting to Tanev's loyalty and the OEL distraction can't have helped.  But when we were eliminated vs. Vegas, Tanev was talking about his contractual situation and acknowledged that he might have to wait a bit before getting an offer and that he was okay with that.  So I don't think what happened was a surprise to him.  In the end, it had to be about term. 

• Cheers 1