The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Holtby regressed for sure, but he has two things Markstrom may never have. A Vezina and a Stanley Cup ring. He earned both. He is also coming to a team with potentially the best goalie coach in the league. And he chose here over Edmonton who offered more. 

While Tanev is a marginal top 4 on most teams, his career is also riddled with injuries and he’s on the wrong side of 30. 

I'll agree with you on both points. Holtby was, and possibly still is, a top goalie in the league. He had a tough year last year, but could easily round back into top shape. He is still no Marky. Marky is a current top 5 goalie in the league, and the team MVP.

Agree about Tanev entirely. Still doesn't change the fact that he was our best option as Hughes partner last year and part of our top 4.

You said it was debatable if the team got worse or not. Are you arguing the team is even with or better now then it was at the end of the playoffs? I still fully believe Benning has a plan and will make some waves over the coming days. But as of now, it doesn't seem like unreasonable statement to say the team is currently it worse shape.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Jumped in.  Read the dramatic posts.  Got a bit upset.  A bit sad.  Then shrugged my shoulders.

I've watched this team from the Islanders series where the only reason we were fighting the dynasty was a guy we called King Richard.  I watched us trade Neely and hated it.  I wept as we kicked Linden to the curb.  Bure. Naslund.  Bertuzzi.  Hansen.  Butcher.  McLean.  Sopel.  

I've watched literally countless players I've loved, grown up with; watched bleed for this team go on to other teams.  Some flashed out, faded away.  Others won cups and it hurt to see them succeed.

Ask days end, Tanev came in during the 2011 season and was a great player.  Warrior.  Not a playmaker, point getter but when healthy dependable.  He will join the list of players I had to watch put on another jersey for.  All of them I wished well.

Tanev had promised he'd sleep on it apparently.  But the term was the reason he went elsewhere.  Not just anywhere, but to bloody Calgary.  I'm sad for that.  I'm hoping he doesn't find the success others did, especially in that jersey while he still plays.  But I won't sit and cry about it.  I won't blame Benning.  Management.  Agents or anything but the current economy.

When the dust settles.  We had an offer rumoured for him, that would have carried through the next 2 seasons that paid about the same as Calgary offered.  He chose his team and made bank out of it.

The current economic state of the league; being a gate heavy revenue league at that, is scary.  A flat cap this year, potential retraction next year even with a new tv deal and expansion team dollars pouring in.  Calgary and teams like them have absolutely screwed themselves with signings like these today.  In 2 seasons when the cap has essentially stayed flat, risen marginally or in fact possibly retracted; the Canucks will have tens of millions in cap space, with barely $43 million spent on contracts in 2 seasons.  

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Yes Benning is handcuffed with some ugly bottom 6 contracts but so are a ton of other teams.  They are also saddled with contracts on front line players on the decline, middle 6 role players, declining defensemen and more.  The fact is Benning extended a rumoured offer and it was turned down and that might honestly be the single best thing for the team moving forward.  Less can be more.  We have the supposed depth of rookies to get through a season where we will be a bubble team; or in the event we suck, we have all of our picks.  We also have options for the teams that are waking up to the economic future of the next season to take on players they have no choice but to trade for nothing or let walk.

Whatever the case.  I am looking long term.  Tanev might only have a few good seasons left.  Markstrom might only have a few good seasons left; or they could win multiple awards.  C'est la vie.  Look past the angst and HF style griping and look at the overall big picture.  The Canucks over the next 2 years are in great position financially for expiring contracts; in a flat cap world we should be able to extend our stars to great contracts.  The team has a bright future that Tanev chose not to be a part of.  

To quote a former Canuck I really cared nothing for; it is what it is.

I was thinking about this scenario a few weeks ago and made a post about It, and the general consensus was taking a moderate step back to have a crap ton of cap space after next season was worth it. Now that its a reality I think thats a good thing to remember, after next season there are no cap issues and there's a great young core.

We likely wouldn’t have had to give Tanev the same term and dollars... he wanted badly to stay here and we didn’t even offer him a contract before free agency.

You can say we should move on from Tanev, but you have to have a replacement... and so far nothing with most UFAs off the board already.

The “wait and see” comment are just hot air.  You can only judge what has happened and not just imagine some future dream moves.  

All we can see so far is a failure to get out from some bad contracts he signed. Failure to recoup any draft picks.  Failure to re-sign some of our RFAs.  Failure to re-sign our good UFAs.  Failure to execute any trades to make us better.  For all the UFAs saying how they would like to play here, and even a top end D in EOL... we couldn’t even convince our own guys to stay and be part of what they built.

To this point it has been a really bad offseason for Benning.  He needs to turn it around in the coming weeks.  

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Don't give bad/average/replaceable players long-term contracts. Tanev isn't that.

It's not that hard to understand, amigo.

Lol OK if you think that. I guess that's why people don't agree with each other on the forums, each person's idea of bad/average/replaceable is of different levels and standards. 

This one hurts. Tanev was a warrior for us.

Mind you, he always gets injured. He takes a lot of hits, which gives other team momentum, and he had very little offense to his game.

As much as I liked him as a Canuck, if you sign with Calgary you are dead to me.

2 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Just when you thought the defense couldn't possibly get worse, we now have zero top 4 defensemen on the right side.

Looks like I'm going to start drinking again when we sign Barrie.

Oh god I hope not.

He is good offensively but defensively....

38 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

Chris Tanev played every game this year. 

Only because COVID shut it down. He got hurt in the last regular season game, and would have missed most of the stretch drive...yet again.

To me, hard pass on paying Tanev what Calgary did. He’s just too unreliable. I also suspect he’s already played his best hockey. This year he bled high-danger shot attempts.

I find it shocking seeing the people in the Markstrom thread happy that we didn’t sign him to that, and then the wave of whining in this thread. Tanev is much more easy to replace than Markstrom.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

To this point it has been a really bad offseason for Benning.  He needs to turn it around in the coming weeks.  

or not. Its going to be a rough year, barring some sort of miracle dump of Loui + signing Pietrangelo,  but out the other side of it is a ton of cap space in an expansion year. We're set to do very well with teams needing to shed players. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Just a year more than we likely would have offered one would think.

Tryamkin at $2 million would be looking pretty good now... maybe Stecher on the cheap.

Looks like we are 0-3 for our three key UFAs

Wonder if Tree's team would take $1 million to release him from his contract?