The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

2 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I'm far more angry about Tanev leaving than Marky. Marky deserved that contract, plain and simple. I'm just glad we didn't give it to him.

Tanev, on the other hand, was the core of our D. Our D wasn't anything special, and now it just got a whole lot worse. Especially if Barrie signs.

Seriously, what is this?

Hughes - Myers
Edler - Juolevi
Benn - Chatfield +Barrie 

Maybe we should wait to see if this is actually what we are going into the season with before overreacting. It's literally day 1 of free agency. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

If you watch the JB interview on the Canuck home page he says Tanev is sleeping on the decision and he expects to hear in the morning if he is signing back with us.  He also says his first priority is to sign back our own guys. Tanev signed with Calgary shortly after.

JB is having a rough time with this off season so far.

We need a good right D signing and it is not Barrie.  Hes a smaller guy and we need some size.  Petro...do us a favour!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

Yeah no **** money was more important.  The Canucks probably insulted him with a 3 year 5 million dollar contract.  He just made 36 million bucks.  

Why does this team throw cash at bums no questions asked,  but a guy like markstrom who is loved by his teammates and has been our MVP for 2 seasons gets left out to dry...

Why spend 7 years developing markstrom into a vazina caliber goalie,  only to let him walk right as he's entering his prime to a division rival.

Oh right because we have a rookie goalie who may have the potential to become what Markstom is already.

On goalies... yeah, it surprises me that teams don’t primarily rotate in flavour-of-the day UFA studs and duds for that position like a revolving door on the back of an old salon.  Player Development of that area of the game, at that level, seems like a business risk assessment need to me anyways.   

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Destroy our 3rd line by removing our only good 3rd liner. But if it's to get Savard outta CBJ I suppose it's okay. I'd really hope they could get more from him than potentially one season of Savard.

I actually think Motte could play 3rd line,he seems to be a go getter.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Someone on CP posted this, doesnt shine a good light on Tanev.   I know tanev brought a lot of intangibles and was a warrior....but we need an upgrade on that position.

CF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 49.46%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 57.70%
Change: +8.24%

FF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 49.65%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 56.02%
Change: +6.37%

SF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 48.03%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 55.56%
Change: +7.53%

SCF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 47.52%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 57.35%
Change: +9.83%

HDCF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 49.64%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 56.79%
Change: +7.15%

GF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 46.03%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 59.18%
Change: +13.15%

xGF%:
Hughes w/ Tanev: 50.22%
Hughes w/o Tanev: 57.22%
Change: +7.00%

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

It sucks to see Chris leave, however at 4 years, that's a little rich on the term.  He's going to be missed for sure, but I think Benning sticking to his guns at a 2 year term, was fine.  It really stings, but it is what it is.  Go get Erik Gustafsson. 

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

Benning might be expecting to have multiple rookies on the back end this year. Pick your combination of Rafferty/Juolevi/Woo/Chatfield/Brisebois/whoever else might surprise at camp.

Utonen's eyes are as wide as saucers right now.  He senses the opportunity of a lifetime. (Maybe JJ's too!!!)

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

On goalies... yeah, it surprises me that teams don’t primarily rotate in flavour-of-the day UFA studs and duds for that position like a revolving door on the back of an old salon.  Player Development of that area of the game, at that level, seems like a business risk assessment need to me anyways.   

I'm not worried about the Canucks in goal tbh, with a likely compressed season going with a tandem makes a lot of sense.

I'm more concerned with what we replaced Tanev with, I wish Woo was a couple years older. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, shazzam said:

I think we're still 2 seasons away from possibly entering our window, so I'm fine with the moves today. Losing Markstrom and Tanev shouldn't hurt us 2 years from now. Benning needs to plan for our window.

Tanev wouldn't be part of that solution 2 years from now lol.

Our Defense needs a serious overhaul before those kids are truly ready to compete.

Both moves today are a step in the right direction in regards to age,future and Cap.

• Upvote 1