The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

or wait a year and use those futures on actual players. 

We don’t have more money a year from now.

$31 million in cap space with 12 players signed.

More than half of that will go towards just extending Demko, Petterson, and Hughes.

Players have short careers, just pushing off winning for a couple of years is a terrible plan.  You quickly start to overpay players to stick around.  We are coming off years of futility, had a glimmer, and unless things change we are likely back into the lottery for a couple more years.

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Calgary freaked out after getting bounced in the post season then they lost Brodie and Hamonic. Over reaction and signed two older guys we are moving on from.

Next year they may get a little bounce but in a couple years they will be regressing and we will be contending. So its all good my friends.

They have core issues and so far seem to be in denial about fixing them.  Even their media is saying Johnny Hoggy has to go.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

We don’t have more money a year from now.

$31 million in cap space with 12 players signed.

More than half of that will go towards just extending Demko, Petterson, and Hughes.

Players have short careers, just pushing off winning for a couple of years is a terrible plan.  You quickly start to overpay players to stick around.  We are coming off years of futility, had a glimmer, and unless things change we are likely back into the lottery for a couple more years.

of course we do. You're forgetting about ELCs as well. Its actually 35+mil  if we buy out Loui as well.  We'll be in a very good spot to use that cap effectively.

It sucks losing Tanev, but we'e not toast because we won't have him at 34. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Calgary freaked out after getting bounced in the post season then they lost Brodie and Hamonic. Over reaction and signed two older guys we are moving on from.

Next year they may get a little bounce but in a couple years they will be regressing and we will be contending. So its all good my friends.

I was thinking this exact same thing.    Calgary just spent 54 million today on these guys.    

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

... and Miller and Horvat.

It is a huge stretch to try to be optimistic by saying “if we tank for a couple more years we will have some extra cap space a few years down the road”.  We just came off some real momentum and positive feeing from the players who were all excited to get back at it.  We seem to have squandered that, and that translates into how much it costs to re-sign our upcoming players.  If we are one do the worst teams in the league next year again, how much more will that cost us for Petterson and Hughes extensions compared with it we were showing we are a team on the rise.

This was the time to pay some

futures to get rid of dead weight and to get better.

I don't know about that, I think Petey & Huges are getting paid huge no matter what.  It'd be nice to have players take pay cuts like they did in the Sedin era, but you can't ask for that when you're paying 4th liners 6 million. Hope I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

if you're spreading things out that far as of this moment there's 47 mil in cap. We'll be just fine. 

stings for next year but as far as cap management goes its a capologists dream after next season. 

47 Million doesn't leave a lot left over after signing those 4 guys, and that's not counting Miller & Horvat being up the year after that.  Next year is our last window where we could have used the cap to our advantage due to rookie contracts.  After that we'll have the same problems as every team that has to pay their superstars.  Maybe if Benning was some cap guru I'd have faith, but this has been his biggest weakness IMO.  

48 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Seriously, what is this?

Hughes - Myers
Edler - Juolevi
Benn - Chatfield +Barrie 

Interesting when even this guy gets it:

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

I'm no Benning defender at all but there's no chance we start the season with that defense.

This was day one of free agency, folks.  DAY ONE.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

I don't know about that, I think Petey & Huges are getting paid huge no matter what.  It'd be nice to have players take pay cuts like they did in the Sedin era, but you can't ask for that when you're paying 4th liners 6 million. Hope I'm wrong.

47 Million doesn't leave a lot left over after signing those 4 guys, and that's not counting Miller & Horvat being up the year after that.  Next year is our last window where we could have used the cap to our advantage due to rookie contracts.  After that we'll have the same problems as every team that has to pay their superstars.  Maybe if Benning was some cap guru I'd have faith, but this has been his biggest weakness IMO.  

we'll just have to use the rookie contracts of Hoglander, Podz, Rathbone, Juolevi and Woo instead. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Darius said:

I was thinking this exact same thing.    Calgary just spent 54 million today on these guys.    

I don't know how much better Calgary got considering who they lost to free agency.  However, Vancouver got worse.  Replacing the team MVP with a goalie that looks past his prime and only have cap space to replace one of Toffoli or Tanev.  I'm worried more draft picks will be spent just to tread water.  

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

We likely wouldn’t have had to give Tanev the same term and dollars... he wanted badly to stay here and we didn’t even offer him a contract before free agency.

You can say we should move on from Tanev, but you have to have a replacement... and so far nothing with most UFAs off the board already.

The “wait and see” comment are just hot air.  You can only judge what has happened and not just imagine some future dream moves.  

All we can see so far is a failure to get out from some bad contracts he signed. Failure to recoup any draft picks.  Failure to re-sign some of our RFAs.  Failure to re-sign our good UFAs.  Failure to execute any trades to make us better.  For all the UFAs saying how they would like to play here, and even a top end D in EOL... we couldn’t even convince our own guys to stay and be part of what they built.

To this point it has been a really bad offseason for Benning.  He needs to turn it around in the coming weeks.  

The majority of our RFA's will be signed. Stetcher is the only significant loss and he hasn't actually signed elsewhere yet. 2/3 of our good UFA's signed elsewhere (for the same team ironically) but we could not and should not have matched Calgary's offer.

We offered Tanev less term and fewer dollars (2 years, 4M) and he declined as is his right as a UFA. Even if we'd offered that before free agency, he could still have refused. 

Markstrom wanted a NMC but that wasn't going to happen from us because we have a goalie who fits our competitive window in Demko. So he gets  6x6 with full NMC every year in Calgary.

So far, I've agreed with the decision to NOT overpay for OEL from a desperate Arizona, NOT match Calgary's offers to Markstrom and Tanev, and he's signed MacEwen and Motte to very good contracts. 

I wished we could've gotten some more 2020 picks but very few trades were happening throughout the league since every team has a flat cap and is uncertain about what gate revenue there will be. A lack of trades isn't a failure of Benning. No trades is better than bad trades. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Well by not signing Marky and Tanev to these long term deal, JB has taken the first step to becoming a cap guru. Gotta start somewhere right?

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I don't know how much better Calgary got considering who they lost to free agency.  However, Vancouver got worse.  Replacing the team MVP with a goalie that looks past his prime and only have cap space to replace one of Toffoli or Tanev.  I'm worried more draft picks will be spent just to tread water.  

Free agency isn't over yet by a long shot.  Canucks will be fine and the future is bright.  Don't worry.