The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Even though we are not winning the lottery if we won one of the top 2 picks in the lottery would anyone be open to trading the pick? If so what for?

A deal that came to mind for me was this.

Canucks 

2021 1st/2nd overall

One of Schmidt/Myers

for

Columbus

Seth Jones(with extension)

Leafs 2021 1st(should be 20th-25th overall)(Originally traded for Foligno)

IMO normally I would probably make CBJ add but I am not sure the value of a top 2 pick in this draft.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

On 5/31/2021 at 12:24 PM, Alflives said:

I’m really hoping the teams picking ahead of us are dough heads, and sect bustaroos, and we get another Benning gem.  

Hmmm, I know someone becoming synonomous wi bustaroo...  :lol:

You crack me up Alf.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Isam said:

You will like lysell. Twitchiest athlete in the draft

I freak for explosive athletic ability!

Strength, control under pressure, agility, endurance, power...

No such thing as the combine this year?  :( It was booked for Buffalo in June...

• Cheers 3

Mason McTavish has moved up to #2 for forwards in this year's draft. I liked it when he was rated lower. 

It is now him and Benier at the top. Forwards.

We might not get a shot at him at 9th or 10th.

39 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

sillinger and schechkov have really moved up your list. why on each one?

I'm definitely on the Svech train.  There's the Russian risk of course, but I think this kids got a real horvat feel to him.

52 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

So, the lottery selection is tomorrow? During which game will it be announced?

Lottery is at 4pm 

First game starts at 4:30pm 

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

sillinger and schechkov have really moved up your list. why on each one?

Not so much moved up, as I just decided to trust my gut. Sillinger has been between 4 and 7 on every list I've done since my first one in early 2020. I'll just repeat or reiterate on Sillinger what I said not too long ago: he's a swiss army knife and a coach's dream. Competes hard every night, all over the ice. He's the first forward out for the PK, and he's effective in various postions of the PP - netfront, bumper, halfwall. He likely won't be best utilized on the point at higher levels, but he was often needed there this year for the 2nd worst team in the USHL. He was nearly a goal a game player through the first 15-20 games, despite a painful lack of offensive support. He is, in my opinion, the best netfront presence in the draft - creating havoc in the crease, shoveling garbage, and he's an elite shot-tipper. He's also strong on the boards, is committed on the forecheck and backcheck, and disrupts the flow of his opponents' game all over the ice. There are legitimate concerns about his skating, but I think his hockey IQ is high enough to overcome those. I see a ton of Joe Pavelski in him.

Svechkov, similarly, I had ranked in the early teens since my first list after the 2019 fall U17s. After 5NU17s in the spring, I suggested to a friend that I thought he might even be a top five pick. But then the media rankings started coming out and he was nowhere in the first round, so I started to question myself, but he was always somewhere between 10-15 for me. He was impressive enough at U18s to move up. I've always been impressed primarily with his playmaking ability - his hockey IQ is very high. He's not primarily a one-on-one threat, but he tends to pull up, slow things down, and draw defenders in to open up lanes. He does have some dekes in his arsenal, but his success rate one on one isn't particularly high. But his shot is good, and he's exceptional defensively, good on the boards, committed to checking. What changed for me at the U18s was his willingness to drive the puck into high-scoring areas more often than I'd seen from him before. Most of the games I'd watched from him this season were at the VHL level, where he played a quiet, responsible, two-way game, but when I went back and watched a shift-by-shift from late in the season when he was sent back to junior, he again looked a lot more confident challenging defenders and attacking the inside. I'm still not convinced he quite has the hands to be a top line offensive driver, but he should be a very good two-way second liner who can play center or wing, a la Logan Couture. Also like Couture, this kid is clutch. Scored the opening goal in the gold medal game at U17s and added two assists. In the championship clinching game at 5NU17s, he set Yurov up for the opening goal and soon after scored the insurance goal himself. He didn't have any points in the gold medal game at U18s, but I thought it was his best game of the tournament and one of the best games I've seen him play.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Here's my top 32. Could call it my final rankings, but I'll probably continue to make tweaks. Before I get raked over the coals, a few words on my thought process. a. I decided that if I'm going to worry about aligning with the majority view of what the various experts and media scouts are saying, then what's the point? I've gotta go with my gut so I can take ownership, right or wrong. b. I'm just a fan. My career isn't on the line, so of course I'm not gonna be as risk averse as NHL scouts, meaning more emphasis on skill and potential upside (I had Raymond 2nd overall last year). c. I always put emphasis on two-way centers with skill, and with the way the game is going, extra emphasis is placed on skilled, shifty, evasive defensemen - Colorado is heralding the end of the #Corsi Era. Nobody can pin them in their zone when Makar and Girard are one-man breakout machines (Toews isn't bad either), and with their speed up front they just need to throw it into an opening and they're gone. Looks to me like we're moving toward a new era of more back-and-forth hockey (my friend uses the term "high-event") where the statistical focus is shifting from corsi to zone-entries/exits.

1. Brandt Clarke

2. William Eklund

3. Owen Power

4. Matthew Beniers

5. Luke Hughes

6. Cole Sillinger

7. Kent Johnson

8. Fyodor Svechkov

9. Dylan Guenther

10. Jesper Wallstedt

11. Mason McTavish

12. Corson Ceulemans

13. Fabian Lysell

14. Aleksi Heimosalmi

15. Chaz Lucius

16. Simon Edvinsson

17. Carson Lambos

18. Nikita Chibrikov

19. Stanislav Svozil

20. Brennan Othmann

21. Oskar Olausson

22. Aatu Raty

23. Zach Bolduc

24. Xavier Bourgault

25. Matthew Coronato

26. Sebastian Cossa

27. Ville Koivunen

28. Sasha Pastujov

29. Daniil Chayka

30. Francesco Pinelli

31. Isak Rosen

32. Simon Robertsson

I love your list. It is not the same as mine, but that is ok! Here are my thoughts on it. I know you did not ask. LOL

1. I think Clarke at 1 is risky. I think he is more of a 5 to 8 guy. But I am being picky.

2. Sillinger is high on everything except skating......that makes me pause on his ranking...maybe 8 to 12ish?

3. I love your Svechkov ranking, it's the highest I have seen it, but you could be totally right!

4. I am thinking Wallstedt goes to one of Detroit, Columbus, San Jose or LA, mostly out of need, and bake time.

5. I hope you are right about McTavish, but I think he goes earlier

6. Love your Ceulemans projection. IMO, it's Clarkes IQ vs Ceulemans Tools, and IMO, they are closer than most have them.

7.I agree with you on Heimosalmi, he seems to be a MR. everything. Too bad he wasn't 6'2", because he would be in the top 10 otherwise.

8. Edvinsson is too low, IMO, but if he falls that much, someone will be getting a great Dman...the will get one anyways!

9. Lambos has great reports, yet low! Hmmm? I agree with where he is, but he is going to be a solid defender.

10. Raty is going to make someone happy

11. IMO Cossa could move up

12. I think Morrow will break into the late 1st round.

A lot of comments from me, but who knows really? Like I say, I love your list and it could easily be the most correct one. I do not see it as a weak draft, but rather a flat draft at the top. I am more interested in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, as I think those are the guys who don't necessarily get into international tournaments. And because I am so extremely interested in RHD this year, I like the RHD that are there....guys like Heimosalmo, that we both think will go higher, Morrow who is hovering in the late 1st round/early second, and then Schmidt, Mailloux and Bar(later 2nd round/early 3rd).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Here's my top 32. Could call it my final rankings, but I'll probably continue to make tweaks. Before I get raked over the coals, a few words on my thought process. a. I decided that if I'm going to worry about aligning with the majority view of what the various experts and media scouts are saying, then what's the point? I've gotta go with my gut so I can take ownership, right or wrong. b. I'm just a fan. My career isn't on the line, so of course I'm not gonna be as risk averse as NHL scouts, meaning more emphasis on skill and potential upside (I had Raymond 2nd overall last year). c. I always put emphasis on two-way centers with skill, and with the way the game is going, extra emphasis is placed on skilled, shifty, evasive defensemen - Colorado is heralding the end of the #Corsi Era. Nobody can pin them in their zone when Makar and Girard are one-man breakout machines (Toews isn't bad either), and with their speed up front they just need to throw it into an opening and they're gone. Looks to me like we're moving toward a new era of more back-and-forth hockey (my friend uses the term "high-event") where the statistical focus is shifting from corsi to zone-entries/exits.

1. Brandt Clarke

2. William Eklund

3. Owen Power

4. Matthew Beniers

5. Luke Hughes

6. Cole Sillinger

7. Kent Johnson

8. Fyodor Svechkov

9. Dylan Guenther

10. Jesper Wallstedt

11. Mason McTavish

12. Corson Ceulemans

13. Fabian Lysell

14. Aleksi Heimosalmi

15. Chaz Lucius

16. Simon Edvinsson

17. Carson Lambos

18. Nikita Chibrikov

19. Stanislav Svozil

20. Brennan Othmann

21. Oskar Olausson

22. Aatu Raty

23. Zach Bolduc

24. Xavier Bourgault

25. Matthew Coronato

26. Sebastian Cossa

27. Ville Koivunen

28. Sasha Pastujov

29. Daniil Chayka

30. Francesco Pinelli

31. Isak Rosen

32. Simon Robertsson

Nice list! Good man sticking to your guns as well, I appreciate people who are able to form their own opinions, backed up by valid research of course, which you have.

Question for you regarding point C. At what point do you draw the line in picking "where the NHL is headed", and how does it play into BPA? I feel like I've been harping on BPA lately lol, and I'm not trying to keep that discussion going really. And I'm also not targeting you with these posts, I just find you bring up good discussion points, and I appreciate your thoughts!

To further explain my question, earlier in the thread, you explained how the NHL almost goes through rotations ie. Dead puck Era, Boston and LA's size, corsi Era etc. These cycles seem to last a few years or so and then change. Overall, the NHL has been moving to a more speed and skill based game, but within that there are niches of a size, skill, defensive, and now speed, teams that win. Your point on Colorado is excellent, but if you base your pick on it, and it takes the player 2-3 years to enter the league in a substantial way, what if that trend has changed? What if the size trend comes back ALA Boston and LA from 2010-2015? Would that not make that player not the BPA anymore? I guess there will always be teams who need such a player, and they are not only becoming more and more prominent, but also more valuable, so its not like they lose all value or anything. But they aren't the "flavor of the week" so to say.

For me, I think it's a bit of a mistake to look at how other teams are made to think about where to take your team. It's so difficult to win the Stanley Cup, and I think so many factors go into it, that basing your team off anothers success can lead to some pitfalls. For example, 2011 Canucks are the best team I can remember seeing through a whole season. If I remember right, they had the #1 PP, #2 PK, #1 goal differential. The team had it all. After losing to Boston, the talk was all about being soft and needing size. However, Boston was taken to game 7 by the Canadiens and Lightning, which either easily could have been in the cup finals instead of them, and maybe the Canucks win against those teams. Soon after, we draft Virtanen for that speed and size that we were so called missing. This is not to drag Virtanen at all, but if the logic behind it was potentially based on another teams success, it potentially affected our draft pick. How do you balance the idea of another teams success dictating your viewpoint when looking at player types?

Hopefully that makes sense. I ended up writing a lot more than I intended lol.

I feel like the perfect representation of the canucks at the draft lottery is that scene in bo burnhams new special inside where he watches the clock for his last minute of being in his 20s. We will all just sit there and watch the screen knowing full well that we are picking 9th or later. Once it happens we will all cry about how it is rigged against the canucks like every year. 

Just now, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I feel like the perfect representation of the canucks at the draft lottery is that scene in bo burnhams new special inside where he watches the clock for his last minute of being in his 20s. We will all just sit there and watch the screen knowing full well that we are picking 9th or later. Once it happens we will all cry about how it is rigged against the canucks like every year. 

I fully expect they will be picking later than #9

15 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Even though we are not winning the lottery if we won one of the top 2 picks in the lottery would anyone be open to trading the pick? If so what for?

If we won the draft lottery Benning HAS to listen to offers, this draft is so up in the air with limited scouting so unlikely a team offers a king ransom but if they offered us a young RHD and or a young #3C plus if a team would take Holtby/LE/Roussel basically a cap dump of some form that would be nice.

A team with cap space and lots of assets is the Devils, would love to try and get rid of LE and his 6m or even if we retain 1-2m its still a big benefit to us. Zacha would be a nice fit for the #3C, they have young assets and picks too.

Any GM should listen to any offer, Canucks need to shake things up. Would love to see us free up a ton of cap space and move out LE, Holtby AND Meyers. We could then sign Hamonic, go after Hamilton or Barrie as JB seems to always be in on him. Better yet lets use these available expansion slots to our advantage and nab a good D or 2 AND a F!

This is my protection list:

F1. Petey               D1. Schmidt

F2. Horvat              D2. Open spot. Sign Hamonic after expansion draft

F.3 Miller                D3. Open spot

f4. Boeser

F5. Motte

F6. Gadjovich 

F7. Open spot/Lind if we dont trade for a player to protect