The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Any coach will prefer players who work hard on and off the ice, are smart, skilled, and competitive.  If Johnson is those things, then Green (and any coach) will play the guy lots. Does Johnson have those qualities?  

His defense is a big need improvement but smart skill maybe not the fastest. Try’s to do a little to much when needing to be simple

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Johnson is a Goldobin equivalent 

Green would play Roussel over him 

Oh God, definitely don't want a guy who refuses to play the game without the puck. Goldy was horrid unless the puck was on his stick.  And even then he was only just okay at that. That's exactly why the Avs got destroyed by the Knights.  The Avs top guys don't play very well without the puck.  Maybe a guy like McTavish would be a better pick than Johnson? 

In my views of Johnson I would say there are few similarities to Goldy. My concerns in drafting him would be - can he pull a complete game together, can he play as part of a system. Is he going to get caught too much in transition. Can he put on enough weight to compete with the big heavy teams in the playoffs.

I also think Mason Mctavish would be a great pickup for us . . . However if you want to make loose comparisons you could very much say he will be Brendan Gaunce 2.0. I think we already a pretty lightweight team which showed in last years playoffs - so maybe MM makes more sense for us, where as KJ will make more sense to a team above us that needs an injection of skill and can take a hit on size and strength due to the supporting cast ( Col, LA, SJ etc)

Given everything i'm fairly sure that it will come down to one of these two players that falls to us or Benning will reach a bit further and grab a Lucius, Lambos, Lysell or someone else who's name begins with L :picard: 

51 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Just curious how you guys think about Kent Johnson and how he would mesh with Green. I see this as not a fit 2 conflicting styles of player and coaching

Comes down to trust with Green. Look how long it;s taking him to trust Juolevi.

I'm not sure Green would trust Johnson (his high risk pays and defensive part of the game), and would probably want him in Utica/Abbotsford for the next few years to learn, like Jake. uggh

Edited by NUCKER67

41 minutes ago, Eddie said:

In my views of Johnson I would say there are few similarities to Goldy. My concerns in drafting him would be - can he pull a complete game together, can he play as part of a system. Is he going to get caught too much in transition. Can he put on enough weight to compete with the big heavy teams in the playoffs.

I also think Mason Mctavish would be a great pickup for us . . . However if you want to make loose comparisons you could very much say he will be Brendan Gaunce 2.0. I think we already a pretty lightweight team which showed in last years playoffs - so maybe MM makes more sense for us, where as KJ will make more sense to a team above us that needs an injection of skill and can take a hit on size and strength due to the supporting cast ( Col, LA, SJ etc)

Given everything i'm fairly sure that it will come down to one of these two players that falls to us or Benning will reach a bit further and grab a Lucius, Lambos, Lysell or someone else who's name begins with L :picard: 

The only miss in the first round after Benning overhauled the scouting department is OJ, which was largely health related.  If he has someone off the board he's high on, I trust him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

He has Petey type skill and plays a similar game to Peteys in terms of effort in all zones. Obviously he’s not Petey but just in terms of comparable game type

yeah, but can he juggle on a unicycle like Petey and Hogz?  

Tons of skill, but I think Johnson will drive coaches nuts with his risky plays (and fails) and he may find it difficult to be an NHL regular. Does he have exceptional hockey IQ? If he does, then maybe it works out for him one day.

I won't claim to be an expert or know all about Johnson, I just have my own opinions. My first impression of Johnson is: super skilled, high risk/high reward, will take time to develop properly

Do the Canucks want to develop their #9 overall player for the next 2-3 years, like Jake and Olli? (and even then, will Green trust him enough?)

Or do they want a McTavish or Sillinger, to add to their group when they compete for playoffs in a couple of years?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Oh God, definitely don't want a guy who refuses to play the game without the puck. Goldy was horrid unless the puck was on his stick.  And even then he was only just okay at that. That's exactly why the Avs got destroyed by the Knights.  The Avs top guys don't play very well without the puck.  Maybe a guy like McTavish would be a better pick than Johnson? 

I recommend watching a highlight reel of the kid, he’s kinda nasty if he get faster maybe a Barzal comparable 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I won't claim to be an expert or know all about Johnson, I just have my own opinions. My first impression of Johnson is: super skilled, high risk/high reward, will take time to develop properly

Do the Canucks want to develop their #9 overall player for the next 2-3 years, like Jake and Olli? (and even then, will Green trust him enough?)

Or do they want a McTavish or Sillinger, to add to their group when they compete for playoffs in a couple of years?

What league is it that Sillinger did so well in this past year?   USHL?  Is that a good league?

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I’d be just as happy with McTavish as I would Johnson, very different but I love what each brings. There’s a chance one or both are gone before we pick anyway. Sillinger isn’t a guy I’m very high on but Lucius is if those other guys aren’t available to us 

53 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Kent Johnson - the next Nikolay Goldobin?

There are similarities. But the kid is so raw and so good. His skill set is very attractive. Could see a team snag him top 5 like Seattle or New Jersey 2 teams that have wiggle room to let him grow.

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What league is it that Sillinger did so well in this past year?   USHL?  Is that a good league?

Bit of a step down from WHL or OHL, but not drastically. Pretty close to equal to the Q. There's likely better young talent in USHL than the Q, but they lose their top 18 and 19 year olds to NCAA, so Q is overall still better. I would rank the top 5 junior leagues:

1. MHL

2. OHL

3. WHL

4. QMJHL

5. USHL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I’d be just as happy with McTavish as I would Johnson, very different but I love what each brings. There’s a chance one or both are gone before we pick anyway. Sillinger isn’t a guy I’m very high on but Lucius is if those other guys aren’t available to us 

Lucius is a kid I haven't seen mentioned a lot here, but I think there's a pretty legit chance he is the Canucks' guy. We'll see where he ends up on McKenzie's final list, but he was 9 at mid-season. And Canucks have had huge success out of USHL/NTDP in Benning's time there: Thatcher Demko, Brock Boeser, Quinn Hughes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1