The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

48 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, next year's draft is supposed to be strong with many strong RHD, and I can't really see us being a playoff contender next year. Might "content", but I think we'll still fall short. Hoping for another top ten pick. If it were me, I think I'd draft Geunther, allow him to simmer in the minors and play lots of hockey, and bring him up slowly (don't make the same mistake as Virtanen, pls by rushing him). Next season, draft a RHD (if it's BPA). 

This draft - we need to draft BPA, if that's Hughes, then take him. If that's Geunther, then we need to take him. After that, focus on RHD in the other rounds. 

Benning supposed to be really good at amateur scouting right? This should be his bread and butter. Time to live up to that reputation, or it becomes a misnomer. 

I think we will be a lot better this year. We were on the verge. But because we lost Toffoli (who didn’t contribute a ton in his short time here) and Tanev gone we suck. Nah I don’t buy it. It’s all smoke. We will be competing for a playoff spot and our division doesn’t look that great anyway.. However personally I didn’t want to be aggressive this year but people lost their minds. Next year was our year to spend imo. 

Anyways back on point. I think any player we draft at 9 is going to need a year or 2 in minors so yes I agree we take BPA. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Top goalie prospect for the red wings left the team. Detroit has some real thinking to do now on who to draft with their top pick.

Stevie Y will take Wallstedt with his top pick.  He has to get a goalie that will be ready for the NHL soon.  Wallstedt should be on the Wings in a couple years.  Other later drafted goalies will take way longer.  

Speaking of this speed theme I'm going to agree. 

Boeser

Horvat

Miller

Petterson

Hoglander

Podkolzin

These guys can all skate but none are really fast. Petterson can ramp it up when he's got no one on him and Hoglander is quick but we could sure use some game breaking speed up front.

Lysell / Guenther

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2021/6/13/22524132/fabian-lysell-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-speed-kills-but-does-it-draft-well

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Stevie Y will take Wallstedt with his top pick.  He has to get a goalie that will be ready for the NHL soon.  Wallstedt should be on the Wings in a couple years.  Other later drafted goalies will take way longer.  

I think he is gone before then. If Buffalo doesn't grab him the Kraken will.

Of coarse I could be wrong. 

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I think he is gone before then. If Buffalo doesn't grab him the Kraken will.

Of coarse I could be wrong. 

Good point.  I wonder if Stevie Y would take Cossa that high if Wallstedt goes before?  Can’t win without a great goalie.  And in the cap era the goalie is even more important.  Teams are mostly pretty even now.  

Edited by Alflives

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good point.  I wonder if Stevie Y would take Cossa that high if Wallstedt goes before?  Can’t win without a great goalie.  And in the cap era the goalie is even more important.  Teams are mostly pretty even now.  

Better off trading down with us and getting dipetro

It does make me think that both Wallstedt and Cossa could be taken high. This Draft doesn't have one of those generational skaters, just a whole bunch of real good ones. The two goalies on the other hand are elite and teams need elite goaltending to win a Cup. It'll come down to which teams need goaltending, and then which of those GMs has the biggest kahunas to take a goalie in the Top 10. I can really see Kekalainen doing something "out there" and with the Jackets sadly losing their goalie prospect, maybe he takes Wallstedt at #5, leaving Stevie Y with a big decision at #6. I'm sure Yzerman would love an elite goaltender in front of Seider too. 

Can't wait for June 23, great theatre!

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Some fun line combos, they'd all be good

Eklund - Pettersson - Boeser

Lysell - Pettersson - Boeser

Guenther - Horvat - Podkolzin

Hughes - Hughes

Hughes - Clarke

Are the Canucks looking to draft a Top 6C to replace Pettersson at that position down the road? (moving him to wing)

Pettersson - McTavish - Boeser

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Caufield will be the better goal scorer, it looks like. 

Probably but I think getting Podz combination of goal scoring + ferocity is a bigger win. Theres always a couple pure goal scorers in the draft, and some drop way down if they're small like Caufield. I'd love to get Eklund (goal scorer, already playing in a mens league, and responsible two-way player) but if we ended up getting Guenther I'd be pretty stoked too. 

Tbh I think I'm gonna be happy to matter who we pick lol, theres so many good choices in the top 10. 

19 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

1) Eklund 

2) Beniers

3) Power

4) clarke

5) Mctavish

6) Wallstadt

7) Cossa

8) mctavish

9) hughes

Something like this could actually happen 

As crazy as it would be to have both goalies go before our pick. It would be even more wild for McTavish to get selected twice! 

hehe but seriously who you have at 8 before Canucks? Edvinsson? 

I could see LA taking Johnson over Hughes. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It does make me think that both Wallstedt and Cossa could be taken high. This Draft doesn't have one of those generational skaters, just a whole bunch of real good ones. The two goalies on the other hand are elite and teams need elite goaltending to win a Cup. It'll come down to which teams need goaltending, and then which of those GMs has the biggest kahunas to take a goalie in the Top 10. I can really see Kekalainen doing something "out there" and with the Jackets sadly losing their goalie prospect, maybe he takes Wallstedt at #5, leaving Stevie Y with a big decision at #6. I'm sure Yzerman would love an elite goaltender in front of Seider too. 

Can't wait for June 23, great theatre!

Honestly if CBJ took wallstedt it would be really interesting to see if Detroit trades down for Cossa giving us a solid shot clarke  / Hughes

this is gonna be a fun draft 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

As crazy as it would be to have both goalies go before our pick. It would be even more wild for McTavish to get selected twice! 

hehe but seriously who you have at 8 before Canucks? Edvinsson? 

I could see LA taking Johnson over Hughes. 

Lol sorry I am tired. 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I know Johnson is very skilled, but dang, his size is concerning, skinny. He takes a lot of chances, hanging onto the puck too long, show-boating. He's also from here, and after Jake...

He may be the only player in the Top 10 that scares me.  

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I know Johnson is very skilled, but dang, his size is concerning, skinny. He takes a lot of chances, hanging onto the puck too long, show-boating. He's also from here, and after Jake...

He may be the only player in the Top 10 that scares me.  

Jake's a problem child. There's a big difference between those two. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Caufield will be the better goal scorer, it looks like. 

And a really good one, too. But he is nowhere strong enough to play with men yet. He does not win puck battles and is easily knocked off the puck. With the puck on his stick and a clear shot at the net, he is deadly, but once teams figure out a way to limit his chances, he'll be more of a liability than an asset. 

• Like 1