The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It’s actually been quite comical seeing people try and come up with stuff to hate on this trade and just look desperate.

The use of semantics here is amusing 

Now here is the question.  If JB managed to get Pietrangelo instead of Schmidt ( after convincing mcrimmmon he made a big mistake) ..... and .... three million of his salary  retained for the same third rounder would it be

a) great

b) really good

c) perfect 

• Haha 3

The interesting part is that people are saying that the Canucks had the knights over a barrel so they should have gotten more, when the truth is that it was reported that the deal was already in place prior to Pietrangelo signing. The knights were under the cap at the time, it was our handshake deal that gave them the confidence to sign Pietrangelo, knowing that they WOULD get the cap space. If we tried to put the irons to Vegas for more, they just turn around and not sign Pietrangelo.

Edited by NorthWestNuck
  • Cheers 4

28 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I personally call it the microscope crew. They refuse to look at the bigger picture and focus on what they want to nitpick only.

Grand scheme of things is that our team is getting better. Has everything been perfect? No, but that doesn't mean we are going in the wrong direction. Hell even Schmidt said himself in his interview that he likes seeing where this team is headed and was one of the reasons why he wanted to come here. He's not saying, "well Eriksson is over paid, so can't trust this management".

I mean it would've been great had we got 50% retention plus a 1st in return and all we have to give up is a 7th. That would've been a perfect trade surely.

But that 7th could have been a future hall of fame player. It should have been 50% retained two 1sts for future considerations from us 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I didn't say that.

I like the Trade

But people cant call it a great trade come on there where reasons this happen that Benning got it so cheap 

This reminds me of your fervent claim last year that the Maple Leafs were onto something when they were trading for players that were injured. Just so they could be put on LTIR. This was the “ Perfect Model” that other teams should be following to manage their salary cap issues.

That was great, but the trade for Schmidt, is merely good. :unsure:

I think that you are just arguing here because you like arguing.  Have at it.

C8339E11-3BAD-45D6-A907-17AF5BE51545.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

The interesting part is that people are saying that the Canucks had the knights over a barrel so they should have gotten more, when the truth is that it was reported that the deal was already in place prior to Pietrangelo signing. The knights were under the cap at the time, it was our handshake deal that gave them the confidence to sign Pietrangelo, knowing that they WOULD get the cap space. If we tried to put the irons to Vegas for more, they just turn around and not sign Pietrangelo.

Just ignore these people. Wasting time and picking at bones. We got the #1 defenseman from Vegas for a 3rd round pick. We got what we needed. Now it's time to sign our RFAs, get some depth on our bottom pair defense and we should be repeating what we accomplished last season and more. We probably need to make another trade as we only have 2 million of cap left. Interesting how Benning will handle it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Devron44 said:

It was a recreational drug so it’s not like he was cheating the game. I’m sure there’s quite a few that have dabbled in it just like any other kid in their 20’s.
In Schmidt case tough to say maybe it was a one time thing and he really didn’t want to have that painted on him. I’m not 100% certain on the circumstances but I believe he denied it? It’s easy to point the finger and call someone out when one gets caught. Especially when others who may have done it more regularly not get caught. That’s a tough situation in any case. I feel for guys cause it can be easy to get caught upin Some try things and move on and others it becomes a problem.

He testes positive for a ped but it was a microscopic amount that was probably introduced without his knowledge. Vegas backed him 100% and agree it was something as harmless as him eating a steak with illegal steroids in it.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

They still need to move cap after moving Schmidt. Asking to retain cap would've ended the trade talks. What your expectations of a great trade is something that would've been impossible to accomplish. An unrealistic expectation.

You can admit that the Miller trade was a "great" trade. This literally is the exact same thing. The lower price was due to covid for sure, but it's the same scenario where a team needed to move cap, so arguably this deal is potentially even better than the Miller one. So you're being hypocritical here.

I wouldn't say its the same thing. TB was in a massive cap crunch and contrary to what much of the fan base says, Miller was not sought out during when the trade was announced. Miller was a 3rd - 4th liner in TB that was healthy scratched for a number of games, I really doubt people were knocking on TB's door asking for Miller offering up a high end asset. The trade worked out, and trust me, if TB knew Miller was going to end up being an 80pt player, they wouldve kept him or asked for WAY more. Just so happens that JT landed in a perfect position and I don't think any of us knew he would be this good. Its like us trying to get rid of Sutter and someone calls Jim offering us a 1st round pick for Brandon Sutter, would you take it?

Pietrangelo on the other hand is probably in the upper echelon of this UFA draft class, whereever he's gonna go, hes going to make an impact. Vegas didn't need to go get Pietrangelo but they identified him as an upgrade and needed to get somebody out.

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Just ignore these people. Wasting time and picking at bones. We got the #1 defenseman from Vegas for a 3rd round pick. We got what we needed. Now it's time to sign our RFAs, get some depth on our bottom pair defense and we should be repeating what we accomplished last season and more. We probably need to make another trade as we only have 2 million of cap left. Interesting how Benning will handle it. 

anytime you can get trade a 3rd round pick for a Dman thats top 4 and probably ends up being your 2nd best dman, thats a major win. You need a guy like Nate to anchor the 2nd pairing, and I think there might be some scoring upside. I think Jim is really pushing for one of Chatfield, Brisbois, Juolevi , Rafferty to push for the 6th dman spot and eventually segway into the top 4 next season

4 hours ago, BPA said:

So you'd rather JB play hardball with Vegas like the other GMs and get a draft pick or salary retention?

I am sure the not retaining salary was the kicker to make it happen, Vegas probably felt that if they retained salary they would have to find a buyer for another one of their guys to make room for AP. 

I think they also had this trade figured out prior to the signing of AP, I don't believe this was a panic move on their part. Possibly it was and that's why the price was low, or the price was so low because they had a prior arrangement incase they did land their guy and didn't have to worry when it happened.

5 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

No Vegas had to do a trade 

they where offer the cap  more then 10%

That forced them to make a trade 

All I am saying is a great trade would have been some cap retention

this is a Really good trade 

Semantics you wouldn't know a great trade from a good trade LOL  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2