The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

8 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Ever been to Toronto? It’s a fun city with a lot to do. People make more doing the same job there as they do here. 

Vegas to a young hockey player with money is like gasoline on a fire. 

It’s fun to go once or twice ... go up the tower - catch a ball-game,  do the HHOF...then the appeal wanes fast.   Been a dozen plus times.   It’s one huge flat city that goes on forever.  Go trains pretty good.  Been downtown enough not to want to go anymore even though harbour planes are cheap and easy access  from where I live, or could hop in the car and be at the game if I leave around 4:00, but rather go the other way anyday, leave at 5:00 and catch the 7:30 start in MTL.    Live close to OTT, prefer it and definitely prefer MTL, over both Vancouver and TO.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

For the record, I disliked Toronto. It may have more nightlife, the HHOF etc. But I found the city very grey, sprawling and the people were generally less friendly from my experience.

And it's farking cold.

And the dirty, rotten, stinking Leafs suck ::D

If I wanted culture in Canada, I'd be heading to Montreal.

You prefer Montreal cause the night life is 10x that of Toronto!   What culture does montreal have that Toronto does not lol aside from a mass group of French people and the most god awful roads in the history of Canada!     

as a whole Toronto is more dull than montreal but it all depends what you are looking for. 

Edited by sassbs
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Montreal is a great city.  Can't handle those winters though.

Nah you get used to it, no worse then PG and up and better then the East Kootenays.   It’s fun catching the Canucks in the dead of winter in MTL, good beers and good eats then a walk in the snow to wait outside - look at the hero’s in bronze and the free outside rink all lit up everywhere you go.   Or maybe that’s just me lit up ha ha.  OTT not so much - they really need to move it out of Kanata.   Would be like having the Canucks play in Richmond and no sky train connections. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Once you take out Chinese and Indians out of Vancouver, there is very little diversity.

Toronto is 10 times more diverse than Vancouver, I am not even mentioning N.Y, L.A, London etc.

Have you been to commercial drive lately? Or for the past 15 years? And yes that's true about Toronto but it's disgustingly dirty and cold, sorry to say that about the supposed center of the universe but I lived there and I hated it, couldn't get out of that dirty shi_hole fast enough... Add to that, for most people there, I'm thinking they took their daily dose of rudeness pills and walked out of their dwellings ready on full on nastyness alert.. I hate that place! Even the Tim Hortons employees were rude, I have a funny story about that but anyway, their the furthest away from being true Canadians that I've ever seen..  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/12/2020 at 8:37 PM, danaimo said:

We have strength and depth up front.  It was our d-line that needed upheaval.  No need to do anything drastic with our forward lines. And no, Habs would not trade Gallagher and a pick for JV. 

Habs have quite the surplus at right wing right now, 

in the meantime the Canucks forward group got weaker with Toffoli signing to stay in a hockey market.

Not fully sold on big wake and bake out of shape Jake as a bonafide top 9 yet let alone a top 6.

Gaudette looks like he will have to carry the third line with Leivo and Ferland's injury situations both up in the air.

I think they have issues at forward right now while the d got a much needed upgrade.

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Have you been to commercial drive lately? Or for the past 15 years? And yes that's true about Toronto but it's disgustingly dirty and cold, sorry to say that about the supposed center of the universe but I lived there and I hated it, couldn't get out of that dirty shi_hole fast enough... Add to that, for most people there, I'm thinking they took their daily dose of rudeness pills and walked out of their dwellings ready on full on nastyness alert.. I hate that place! Even the Tim Hortons employees were rude, I have a funny story about that but anyway, their the furthest away from being true Canadians that I've ever seen..  

Total Latino and Black Canadian population in Vancouver is barely over 1% each.

I didn’t say that Toronto climate is nice or that the people are friendly.

All I am saying is having been to majority of large cities in North America, Vancouver is not that diverse.

9 hours ago, coryberg said:

Lots of similarities between this one and the Ehrhoff deal.

Cap hit-@5.9mil that puts his contract at 7.2% of the cap. Compare that to the famous Ehrhoff deal where we received him and Brad lukowich (cap dump 2.0) at 8.3% of the cap.

Cost- Schmidt cost us a 3rd round pick. The Ehrhoff deal costed us a 2nd round pick (Patrick White wasn't offered a contract and was set to re-enter the draft. This gave the team holding his rights the 25th pick of the second round.)

Age- Schmidt is 29, Erhoff was 28 pretty much a wash

Contract- we all wished that erhoffs contact was longer. He played 2 years with our up and coming team and then cashed in with Buffalo on a 40 million dollar deal. 3 extra years on his deal would have been amazing.

As for Schmidt he is a fantastic skater who has low miles on his body and can play both sides so he can move around the lineup if his role on the team changes later on. If he were only signed for 1 more year (like Sutter was when we acquired him) we would be worried about how much he could get on the open market... even if the number was 5.9 million he would be pushing for at least 6 years pushing him to age 36. Would I rather the contract be 4 instead of 5? Sure! Would i rather the contract be 3 or less? Nope.

In conclusion we have a player that we acquired for less cap percentage, at a lower cost with more club control. Thats pretty amazing seeing as the ehrhoff deal is widely considered one of the top 5 canucks trades ever. Not even getting into how great of a person/teammate that nate is. Let's just hope he gels as well as Christian did.

One fundamental difference (aside from what I've pointed out in another post).....

Ehrhoff left here to 'win a Cup' in Buffalo - a hopeless miscalculation...on route to being bought out....

Vegas moved Schmidt to make room to "win a Cup"....another hopeless miscalculation!

Schmidt arrived here...he'll be the one that wins one.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Total Latino and Black Canadian population in Vancouver is barely over 1% each.

I didn’t say that Toronto climate is nice or that the people are friendly.

All I am saying is having been to majority of large cities in North America, Vancouver is not that diverse.

Not percentage wise no but I've lived in Vancouver for 35 years and I've met almost every race I can think of, and they live here but Toronto offers big bucks so it's more enticing to immigrants and has been that way for a long time, but that's changing here, I've met more people who moved here from Toronto in the past few years than I've met ever in all the years I've been here but that's the left coast beauty and climate over the bigger dollars but they do ok here too.. 

35 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Yeah but Boeser played on the Lotto line.

Horvat is left with Pearson and a gaping hole on his right.

He needs a proper wingman.

Enter Hoglander.. I named him puckhog because it's hard to get the puck off his stick once he gets it 

• Wat 1

Well a lot of us in the East Kootenay learned 1st year plumbing... sheet runs down hill.  Vancouver is the bottom of the hill like most cities and nothing more than a ravenous cesspool. All I can say about cities is that there has to be a better way to live. 
Now how about we get back to hockey. :gocan:

• Upvote 2