The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Gallagher Extension talks at Impasse

Provost

This was just discussed on 1040 who spoke to Gallagher and his agent.

Apparently since Montreal signed Anderson and Toffoli, the offers for a Gallagher extension have dropped significantly to the point where it is pretty clear there isn’t a chance of making a deal.  He is a UFA in a season and the thought is they might be moving him instead of losing him for nothing.

I would see him as a remarkable line mate for Petterson and Miller.  Net front presence like we don’t have in the lineup.

We would need to clear out a little space, but I would absolutely swap out Virtanen plus a significant piece for him.  Not much more cap hit than Virtanen this year, but we absolutely would need to know we don’t have Eriksson in 2021-22 as Gallagher is due a pretty decent raise.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/10/canadiens-working-on-extension-for-brendan-gallagher.html

• Cheers 3

It’s a negotiation ploy by his agent. He literally released this information a couple hours before a Bergevin press conference.  He’s signed for another season. There’s lots of time to get a deal done. If they were to move him they would get a much better piece than Virtanen back 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This is tough because he's a BC boy and  great fit with the team, but his style of play would logically mean some serious regression at some point. 

Ya, you have to know the price for extending him.. but that also increases his trade value of that is already established.

Signing him at a $5.5-$6.0 x  5-6 years is probably a reasonable price point.  It means you probably walk away from Pearson next year and shuffle the top 6 a little... but it certainly improves your team for a little bump in salary compared with him.

Make it buyout friendly in the last couple years to mitigate risk.

Edited by Provost

7 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This is tough because he's a BC boy and  great fit with the team, but his style of play would logically mean some serious regression at some point. 

Agree, I view him like a forward version of Tanev on that front.  Tough decision to commit long-term.  Even though Gallagher hasn't missed that many games lately, it feels like every year towards the end of the season/playoffs he's slowed down physically by something.

Virtanen would have to go back, maybe MTL takes back Benn or Roussel in a deal? But they are tight on cap now themselves. I would be all for Gallagher being here but would be very wary of giving him an extension right away unless its a great deal. Is he a 5m plus player...to some maybe, I would pass on having to pay him that. Give him a bit of term sure but he is undersized and will be 30 sooner than later. A 3-4yr extension at 4m is about all I would extend to him

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, you have to know the price for extending him.. but that also increases his trade value of that is already established.

Signing him at a $5.5-$6.0 x  5-6 years is probably a reasonable price point.  It means you probably walk away from Pearson next year and shuffle the top 6 a little... but it certainly improves your team for a little bump in salary compared with him.

Perhaps they can unite Pearson and Toffoli in Montreal!  Pearson and Baertschi for Gallagher!:towel:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Virtanen would have to go back, maybe MTL takes back Benn or Roussel in a deal? But they are tight on cap now themselves. I would be all for Gallagher being here but would be very wary of giving him an extension right away unless its a great deal. Is he a 5m plus player...to some maybe, I would pass on having to pay him that. Give him a bit of term sure but he is undersized and will be 30 sooner than later. A 3-4yr extension at 4m is about all I would extend to him

He’s already signed through this season and will have the cap space to re-sign him next year.  They have lots of time to get him signed. If they don’t they’re more taking cap dumps to move him. A  lol so. Thh my eyes no way he signs an extension of 3 years at $4m. If he was willing to do that he’d be signed already 

Edited by qwijibo

7 minutes ago, CDBudz55 said:

Virtanen

Pearson

1st

Thoughts? Would a 2nd be enough instead of the 1st? MTL gets two legit NHL'ers (1 being their new guy TT's buddy) plus a great pick.

I'll hang up and listen.

Not if we don’t know the price for extending him.  He would have to be paid market price and that is too much for a year until free agency.

At that price, I probably get a 1st for one of Tampa’s spare forwards than give up a 1st for Gallagher.

He is a nice piece, he wants to come back to Vancouver.  Worth looking into if he really wants to be here and is willing to extend here for a good value.

If he would take a discounted $5-$5.5 million x 4-5 year term to play in his hometown, I would pay a decent sweetener on top of Virtanen to bring him here.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

I would give up Jake, Lind and a 4th or 5th for him if that is what it took. Extend him for 3 at around $5mil per year with a limited NTC. Imagine how much teams would hate playing us with him and Rous in the lineup.  

If that’s all it would take to sign him he’s already be signed in Montreal.  And that’s a crap trade offer 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

Which we shouldn't hesitate on if possible. 

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Not if we don’t know the price for extending him.  He would have to be paid market price and that is too much for a year until free agency.

At that price, I probably get a 1st for one of Tampa’s spare forwards than give up a 1st for Gallagher.

He is a nice piece, he wants to come back to Vancouver.  Worth looking into if he really wants to be here and is willing to extend here for a good value.

Did Gallagher state that he wants to come to Vancouver? I've not heard that. Thought he really enjoyed being in Montreal. 

I'd rather just keep Jake or flip him to clear cap space and sign Granlund to a shorter term deal, I'm not sold on the fact that Gallagher would work out west. 

Yeah, he's a 40-50 point guy, but he's tiny. He plays above his size and has heart, but still tiny. Granlund is of similar size but he wouldn't cost us anything but money, I figure he'd be a good distributor on Bo's line. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Did Gallagher state that he wants to come to Vancouver? I've not heard that. Thought he really enjoyed being in Montreal. 

Yeah. Both he and the team have publicly stated a mural interest in getting a deal done.  This is just a negotiation tactic 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

That is Dhaliwal and Moj saying that he made it clear he would like to come home.

Take that for what it is worth, but he has been a regular guest on 1040 and I think he has played in the Moj charity golf tourney... so they clearly know him fairly well.

• Cheers 1