The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you do with Jake?

Rate this topic

iceman64

After watching him and his attitude between the shut down and start of the playoff run here in the Okanagan.  I am no longer in the give him time camp.  I don't even care what happens to him.

He could break out next season which would be great.  But that level of attitude and arrogance is not endearing and neither is his work ethic.

Listening to him scream at that girl about how he was the team, he was vancouver and he was untouchable....ya.

Don't even care anymore

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

After watching him and his attitude between the shut down and start of the playoff run here in the Okanagan.  I am no longer in the give him time camp.  I don't even care what happens to him.

He could break out next season which would be great.  But that level of attitude and arrogance is not endearing and neither is his work ethic.

Listening to him scream at that girl about how he was the team, he was vancouver and he was untouchable....ya.

Don't even care anymore

I agree, he hasn't figured it out by now, there's the door Jake.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Sign him for two years before the arbitration and then trade him.

He doesn’t fit.  He isn’t good enough defensively to play on Bo’s line, that will again do a lot of match up duties and he certainly isn’t smart enough to play with Petterson.  We have better options for cheaper on the 3rd line.

With the money you would spend on him you could sign both Leivo and a short term reclamation project like Athanasiou.

I want him to succeed, he has skill and potential, but he just seems like an aloof and careless guy, floating around with one hand on the stick, the other on the pay cheque.....and this "if he shows up in shape at camp" mantra being spewed about is so lame, really???

Wee Jake shows up to camp in shape??? Wow, low expectations much? 

15 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Eh?  When was this?

Back about mid July,, him and a bunch of his buddies rented a swank air bnb on Okanagan lake.

Initially it was just him being a pig via a friends snaps and insta stories.   But then i got out with him and a few gals and he was just an obnoxious self entitled jack***.  I am an acquaintance of one of his buddies and one my trainers/friends is a bit of a puck bunny.  We got on great with the group but he just....man the guys a tool

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, peaches5 said:

You can't trade him after arbitration.. you either sign him or he becomes a UFA.

I thought that a team could only walk away (turn him UFA) if the arbitrators award was over $4 million, and could only be by means of a buy out.  If under age 25, 1/3 of the value of the arbitrators award with the cap hit spread over 2 x the term of the award

Maybe someone more familiar with the small print could enlighten?

Edited by Googlie

People need to get over the expectations that he will be a Power Forward in a top 6 role.  He is what he is.  He is a North-South kinda guy that scores off the rush. A 3rd liner capable of 20 goals (close to it).

I also once hoped he could be an effective PK with his speed.  But you need some hockey IQ and stamina (long PK shifts if can't get puck out).  On PP2, he looks so lost out there.

If he's signs in around $2.5M x 2yrs, then he's worth keeping.  He has the tools.  Just needs the toolbox to keep it all together. 

Could he elevate his game?  Maybe.  Maybe Not.  But it's up to him to get there.  Hire a fitness trainer to whip him into shape.  There's no excuse showing up to camp out of shape/conditioning.

Does the arbiter have a cutoff date on when they'd look at comparable contracts and numbers? Or would they be allowed to look at contracts signed in this free agency as well when they're deciding on Jake's case?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, happy to clear up my question if needed.

10 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I thought that a team could only walk away (turn him UFA) if the arbitrators award was over $4 million, and could only be by means of a buy out.  If under age 25, 1/3 of the value of the arbitrators award with the cap hit spread over 2 x the term of the award

Maybe someone more familiar with the small print could enlighten?

• Salary Arbitration. Both the player and his current team submit their expectations for the player's salary for the coming year. The team cannot request a reduction in salary of greater than 15%. The arbitrator hears the case from both player and team and renders a verdict. The verdict sets the salary the team is required to pay the player. In cases where the player requested arbitration, once the arbitrator's verdict is rendered the team must make a decision within 48 hours of the verdict being rendered. If the team accepts, the player is signed to a new contract at the salary set in the verdict. Should the team decline, the player then becomes an unrestricted free agent. Teams cannot decline contracts resulting from club-elected arbitration.

I don't know who went to arbitration but my guess is Virtanen. If he is awarded too much money Vancouver can only walk away. They cannot trade him.

Edited by peaches5

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

People need to get over the expectations that he will be a Power Forward in a top 6 role.  He is what he is.  He is a North-South kinda guy that scores off the rush. A 3rd liner capable of 20 goals (close to it).

I also once hoped he could be an effective PK with his speed.  But you need some hockey IQ and stamina (long PK shifts if can't get puck out).  On PP2, he looks so lost out there.

If he's signs in around $2.5M x 2yrs, then he's worth keeping.  He has the tools.  Just needs the toolbox to keep it all together. 

Could he elevate his game?  Maybe.  Maybe Not.  But it's up to him to get there.  Hire a fitness trainer to whip him into shape.  There's no excuse showing up to camp out of shape/conditioning.

If you lower the expectations of him that low, that $2.5 million contract is dramatically overpaying him.  A defensively unreliable tweet net who can occasionally put in some offence.  Most of those guys are in the AHL or Europe.  It would make him drastically less valuable than a guy like Baertschi (who can at least play OK defence), or guys looking for jobs like Athanasiou who has already scored 30 goals and 54 points in a season compared with Jake’s career high 18 goals.

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Back about mid July,, him and a bunch of his buddies rented a swank air bnb on Okanagan lake.

Initially it was just him being a pig via a friends snaps and insta stories.   But then i got out with him and a few gals and he was just an obnoxious self entitled jack***.  I am an acquaintance of one of his buddies and one my trainers/friends is a bit of a puck bunny.  We got on great with the group but he just....man the guys a tool

some humble pie will do him some good.. 

can't believe he thinks he's all that, considering you know, he hasn't lived up to his draft status as someone who was drafted in the top ten

it's too bad, really. he's got such a great toolbox, but lacks the attitude, and commitment to put it altogether. Such a waste of potential, if I ever saw one. 

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:
  • Salary Arbitration. Both the player and his current team submit their expectations for the player's salary for the coming year. The team cannot request a reduction in salary of greater than 15%. The arbitrator hears the case from both player and team and renders a verdict. The verdict sets the salary the team is required to pay the player. In cases where the player requested arbitration, once the arbitrator's verdict is rendered the team must make a decision within 48 hours of the verdict being rendered. If the team accepts, the player is signed to a new contract at the salary set in the verdict. Should the team decline, the player then becomes an unrestricted free agent. Teams cannot decline contracts resulting from club-elected arbitration.

I don't know who went to arbitration but my guess is Virtanen. If he is awarded too much money Vancouver can only walk away. They cannot trade him.

They can’t walk away from the deal as it won’t be high enough.  They are stuck with whatever.  If he gets $3.5 million for some crazy reason we have to just fit it in.

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

2-2.5 would be a good price for Jake. If he wants anything more than that, trade him or let him go. 

Is his arrogance, and lack of work ethic and commitment to the game of hockey really worth him sticking around? We could probably have a "lesser" player show up more often and work harder than Jake unfortunately

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

They can’t walk away from the deal as it won’t be high enough.  They are stuck with whatever.  If he gets $3.5 million for some crazy reason we have to just fit it in.

We can't trade him? I think even at 3.5 million, some teams would still look at him and would want him for a 40 point production that isn't too bad. 

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Have you not noticed how ever pwf from b.c is the same ha E Kane and Jamie Benn both D bags....lol 

You sound like Boston when they had to convince themselves to trade seguin ha 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

There's no mention of salary implications on whether or not the team signs him in what @peaches5 quoted. It's seemingly based on whether the club elected to pursue arbitration or the player, with the former resulting in a binding decision and the latter resulting in a choice to be made within 48 hours of the ruling.

Edited by Vanuckles

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

We can't trade him? I think even at 3.5 million, some teams would still look at him and would want him for a 40 point production that isn't too bad. 

Nobody is trading him for $3 million or more unless we are giving them something else.  That is more than retail price in good economic conditions, never mind now.