The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Chara

Hi guys, 

I know it seems Benning has now turned his sight to a forward, but I think we still need one more D to slot into that bottom pairing. To me, there is a perfect fit standing right in front of us in Chara.

Yes I know he's old and shoots left but imagine him being on our side for once. 

Here's why I think he'd be a good fit

Even though he is old, he's still in phenomenal shape

Can still play in top 6 but knows he's on the decline so will be ok with bottom pairing and can slide up if needed (still had 5G 9A +26 and 60PIMS in 65 games last year)

Leadership he brings (Captain of Boston and imagine him getting in Jakes face for not taking fitness or other stuff seriously)

We want size and toughness on the backend - imagine Reaves etc taking liberties with the kids or the goalie with Chara dressed? Petey and Hughes would feel 10 inches taller for sure)

He'd be relatively cheap - $2M base last year and 1.75 in bonuses. 

Plus he played in Prince George as a junior and he has the relationship with Benning.

Just imagine a D that consisted of Myers, Chara and Tryamkin next year lol. 

There will be injuries so the younger guys will still get their chance to play (Juolevi, Rathbone etc and what a mentor Chara would be on D for them)

Either way, let me know your thoughts. I think he's the perfect fit for our bottom pairing and would be an upgrade on Benn and Fantenberg.

• Wat 1

"He'd be relatively cheap - $2M base last year and 1.75 in bonuses."

I guess that was in part of a 'hometown type of discount'.  Yes, I know he's not from Boston but that's him wanting to help out his team while still being paid.  Why should he cut the same slack to a team he has zero ties with?

You're proposing that we somehow acquire the captain of the team that beat us in the final? For a second time? Are you serious? 

At his age he's likely pondering retirement after every season, if he's not gonna re-up with the Bruins that likely what happens. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don’t see it happening...if the stars aligned and he wants to play here for a year for dirt cheap you take him. Why would he not sign the same contract in Boston?  Love him or hate him he is their captain that brought them the cup, solidified the back end for years and has been very loyal and cheap for the back end of his career. I see him lacing the skates in Boston or just hanging them up. I see no in between for Big Z. 

47 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You're proposing that we somehow acquire the captain of the team that beat us in the final? For a second time? Are you serious? 

At his age he's likely pondering retirement after every season, if he's not gonna re-up with the Bruins that likely what happens. 

That was almost 10 years ago, get over it. You're telling me you'd pass on Marchand, Krejci, and Bergeron if we had cap space and they were available etc? I doubt it...

Oh ya and also don't forget, our current GM who drafted Hughes, Pod, Petey, Boeser etc was also a part of that Bruins team who beat us.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

"He'd be relatively cheap - $2M base last year and 1.75 in bonuses."

I guess that was in part of a 'hometown type of discount'.  Yes, I know he's not from Boston but that's him wanting to help out his team while still being paid.  Why should he cut the same slack to a team he has zero ties with?

Not saying he would, I'm just thinking at his age he may be out of options and if he wants to keep playing he may be forced to take less than normal. Who knows though it's just a pipe dream of mine at this stage! Just wanted to get some discussion going.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Needs to stay in Boston or retire. I don't think he'd be as effective dealing with West Coast travel schedule.

Great point I never thought of that. It's definitely tougher out West but maybe with Covid next season and the rumored Canadian division in the bubble it won't be so bad. Time will tell!

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Nah, too much bad blood. Besides, the Canucks have a much younger version that may arrive soon.

Thanks for the reply. I disagree only because Tryamkin doesn't have that same meanness/toughness that Chara has. I wish he did tho trust me!

14 minutes ago, CDBudz55 said:

I feel that the first time someone hit Petey or Hughes and he went over and ragdolled them you'd absolutely love him if he was though IMO.

But then who would Marchand hide behind after he slewfoots or cheapshots someone though?

13 minutes ago, CDBudz55 said:

That was almost 10 years ago, get over it. You're telling me you'd pass on Marchand, Krejci, and Bergeron if we had cap space and they were available etc? I doubt it...

Oh ya and also don't forget, our current GM who drafted Hughes, Pod, Petey, Boeser etc was also a part of that Bruins team who beat us.

Cool, he may have been an assistant GM but he wasn't the captain leading the opposing team in a game seven we lost on home ice. There are plenty of Canuck fans who hate Messier all these years later, the same can be said of players like Marchand and Chara. Both of who, yeah, I wouldn't want wearing our jerseys. I don't hate the other two, Bergeron is a hell of a player, but no I don't think I'd want anyone from that Bruins team wearing our colours. 

He. Was. The. Captain. No, I don't want the leader of the team that beat us in the final wearing our colours. No, I wouldn't want the player who punched Daniel Sedin in the face lining up alongside our guys. I don't have to "get over it" the same way many Canuck fans don't have to "get over" the black mark on this franchise that was Mark Messier. 

39 minutes ago, CDBudz55 said:

Yes i would.  Character meters and I don't want any of those classless pieces of trash disgracing our franchise.  

• Cheers 1