The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For the sake of conversation. Rogers Arena upgrades. Seats and scoreboard?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

I know that the Acquillinis have said that it is not a priority at this time but a couple of years ago I heard they were talking about replacing the seats. I think with all this time off wouldn't it be the perfect time? They are 25 years old and I know that the red burgundy seat colour just looks off. They really need to go with the colours of the team. I have gone to many games at Rogers Arena but I haven't been there in several years so I am not sure how they feel or what shape they are in now. Again wouldn't it be best to replace them now when there are no fans. It's not a major issue. Its just for the sake of conversation. Another question is about the scoreboard. How often do they change scoreboard or upgrade them. When they built it and put it in they used HD screens well now they have 4K, 8K screens and most new or upgraded arena have amazing huge scoreboards. I am just wondering how many years the current one will last? Anyways feel free to chime in. Again very minute issues but its something to discuss.

All I can say is my butt sat in those seats as often as I could make the journey across from the Island, and before that the Pacific Col.    Wish when I was younger I got to spend time at TO and MTL before one was changed into a mall, the other razed.   Their is something to be said about white boards , great sight lines and old organs.   I say let it stay and just keep them they way it is.   Maybe the scoreboard.   Have to say MTL’s new arena is too big, the reds go way too high, at least eight rows and there are a lot of bad seats.   GM/Rogers is fine the way it is, about the perfect mix of the old and the new.   Great location, easy access, good sight lines and isn’t at all dated.   Would like to check out Detroit’s new arena one day - it’s supposedly the best new one in the league with fibre optics throughout the ceiling for effects. That said ... anything over 18k seats is getting too big and loses the intimacy feel.  Prefer OTT arena over MTLs, despite the amount of detail they attempted to bring some of the old into the place.   And finally blue seats would look tacky.   Too many fans still identify the team in the black uni’s, unless the seats are very worn just leave it how it is.

• Vintage 1

The seats were originally going to be replaced either this off season or perhaps next. I remember one of the higher ups on the operations side of the team said something about replacing the seats with team colours. Obviously Covid has put the kibosh on that for the time being.

As far as the scoreboard, I don't think that will be replaced for a while. When it was added it was the largest in the league, and there really isn't anything wrong with it. The only argument for replacing it is that some teams have bigger scoreboards with moderately higher resolution. For the purposes of attending a hockey game though, the difference really is marginal. A stadium scoreboard is really expensive, and with revenue getting slashed I really can't see a new one for a long time. 

I dont really see the need for the absurdly large scoreclocks either. You're watching the game live, if you wanted to see it on a screen stay home or go to the pub.

When I go to a game I look at the screen to check the shotclock or a replay, and it's more than adequate for that. If you're shelling out big bucks for tickets just to stare at the screen, something's wrong. I actually find the overtly massive flatscreens hanging from arenas like Colorado or Tampa a bit offputting.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather money be spent on improving the hockey team.  Give a me a good sight line and a cold beer and I'm good.

The first game I watched after the nets were installed was also the last game I watched behind the nets.  Sight lines definitely are the most important thing.   It’s fun to watch front row occasionally in the corners,  but the best seats are just behind the blue line in the offensive zone for two periods, maybe 10-13 or so rows up.   Don’t miss much of anything and hear and see most of what’s going on in the ice.   Really all the way up to around row 20.    A lot of blue seats aren’t bad either if you stick to those sight lines too. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The first game I watched after the nets were installed was also the last game I watched behind the nets.  Sight lines definitely are the most important thing.   It’s fun to watch front row occasionally in the corners,  but the best seats are just behind the blue line in the offensive zone for two periods, maybe 10-13 or so rows up.   Don’t miss much of anything and hear and see most of what’s going on in the ice.   Really all the way up to around row 20.    A lot of blue seats aren’t bad either if you stick to those sight lines too. 

Best seat I ever got was upper bowl, first row at the red line.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I know that the Acquillinis have said that it is not a priority at this time but a couple of years ago I heard they were talking about replacing the seats. I think with all this time off wouldn't it be the perfect time? They are 25 years old and I know that the red burgundy seat colour just looks off. They really need to go with the colours of the team. I have gone to many games at Rogers Arena but I haven't been there in several years so I am not sure how they feel or what shape they are in now. Again wouldn't it be best to replace them now when there are no fans. It's not a major issue. Its just for the sake of conversation. Another question is about the scoreboard. How often do they change scoreboard or upgrade them. When they built it and put it in they used HD screens well now they have 4K, 8K screens and most new or upgraded arena have amazing huge scoreboards. I am just wondering how many years the current one will last? Anyways feel free to chime in. Again very minute issues but its something to discuss.

LET'S GIVE THE FLAMES A CALL....THEY'LL BUY 'EM!

Personally, I find the seats/scoreboard fine.  Even though upgrades don't "count against the cap" the owner likely is watching his spending these days (like most).  Not really needed right now as far as I'm concerned.  Pay Petey & Quinn.

• Haha 1

Seats could be replaced for sure, that wouldn't bother me at all. Scoreboard should stay in my opinion, every time I go to a game it always amazes me how massive it is. (I'm on the island so I rarely get to go to games)

this is probably the only time ill have a chance to share this, so heres a picture of the scoreboard that I accidentally zoomed in way too much on when taking it :lol:

IMG_0600.thumb.JPG.9df2867b0ca1767e8755e85b77235979.JPG

59 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Best seat I ever got was upper bowl, first row at the red line.

About the same for me. But at old PC, I sat 6 rows up, just shy of the red line. Of course that was way before a lot of the posters here were even born. Ha ha.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

About the same for me. But at old PC, I sat 6 rows up, just shy of the red line. Of course that was way before a lot of the posters here were even born. Ha ha.

My first game ever was right in the corner front row - thought it would be fun to be right infront of the action.  Tim Hunter saw me grinning like an idiot during the warm-up and slapped a puck right at my face and winked.   Awesome stuff.   Miss the white boards. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather money be spent on improving the hockey team.  Give a me a good sight line and a cold beer and I'm good.

Pretty sure player and team salaries are a separate budget than arena upgrades. In fact, despite both being owned by the Aquilini group, the arena and the hockey team aren't actually the same thing

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

My first game ever was right in the corner front row - thought it would be fun to be right infront of the action.  Tim Hunter saw me grinning like an idiot during the warm-up and slapped a puck right at my face and winked.   Awesome stuff.   Miss the white boards. 

Had the same experience.  First time I ever sat on the glass...didn't know you weren't supposed to put "stuff" up there on the ledge...momentarily put my water bottle up there as I got settled.  During warm up Burr blasted a slapshot and knocked it off!  Scared the hell out of me and he skated by laughing and tapped the glass.  My friend knew him (did some art for him) and saw it coming...she grabbed this shot right before he did it.  LOL...never ever did I put stuff up there again.

image.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Had the same experience.  First time I ever sat on the glass...didn't know you weren't supposed to put "stuff" up there on the ledge...momentarily put my water bottle up there as I got settled.  During warm up Burr blasted a slapshot and knocked it off!  Scared the hell out of me and he skated by laughing and tapped the glass.  My friend knew him (did some art for him) and saw it coming...she grabbed this shot right before he did it.  LOL...never ever did I put stuff up there again.

I see that happen all the time at Shamrocks' games.  People that put stuff on the ledge are almost guaranteed to wear it.  :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

The seats will be upgraded at some point.  There was talk about doing it this coming year but obviously that has been postponed. They will definitely change the red to the dark blue jersey colour. 

The scoreboard was changed in 2006 and at the time was the biggest and best in the NHL.  They also added the LED ring around the upper bowl in the same year.  I would imagine they will upgrade the scoreboard at some point in the next 3-5 years.  But it still looks pretty good 14 years later.  The new one in Edmonton I think is twice the size of the Canucks, so eventually all teams will have to upgrade to be competitive with Edmonton as technology has certainly evolved since 2006.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The seats will be upgraded at some point.  There was talk about doing it this coming year but obviously that has been postponed. They will definitely change the red to the dark blue jersey colour. 

The scoreboard was changed in 2006 and at the time was the biggest and best in the NHL.  They also added the LED ring around the upper bowl in the same year.  I would imagine they will upgrade the scoreboard at some point in the next 3-5 years.  But it still looks pretty good 14 years later.  The new one in Edmonton I think is twice the size of the Canucks, so eventually all teams will have to upgrade to be competitive with Edmonton as technology has certainly evolved since 2006.

Hopefully it is not the size of the board in Jerry's world also known as AT&T Stadium.

AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, Sunday, October 19, 2014 (Tom Fox/The Dallas Morning News)

Edited by The Colt 45s