The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you? (Proposal)

OK, I put this up on the HF Boards

But, I have not been roasted enough, so I will put it here, so you can do so.........It is ok, I am a big boy! :picard:

Trade 1

Tyler Johnson and Cal Foote

for

Kole Lind

Trade 2

Eriksson, Pearson, and a 2023 -1st 

for

One of Ottawa/Detroit/New Jersey's.....  2021 3rd Rounder 

So Trade 1, Tampa will have to do something and it will cost, I am of the belief that, they will lose 2 valueable pieces of their cup team, and the cost will be painful. IMO Vegas did not want to get rid of Schmidt, but it cost huge, in terms of value. We take the trade as it help 2 fold, first getting us a very good RHD prospect that is close to graduating (Hockey writers #53 of top 100) and secondly, it gets us Johnson who fills in for Pearson on the second line.

As with Johnson, it will cost to get rid of Eriksson, and as we obtained Johnson, we move them now....love Kole Lind, but where does he fit anyways......... we reduce cap short term. Could we afford Pearson next year....I doubt it! Johnson also plays all 3 forward positions.

We could also leave Johnson available for the entry draft, if we wish

I think its a win! Yes/no?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

The essence of the trade is good.  However, I don't think Tampa trades Foote as he is part of their future and will be on a cheap ELC contract for several years.  They will probably trade Cernak instead.  Insert Cernak into that deal and I would do it as long as we can get rid of Eriksson, which will be harder than you think.  It may take 2 first round picks to get rid of Loui, so in essence we'd be giving up 2 1st's for Cernak.  I don't think Benning will do that considering we've already given up a first for Miller and a 2nd and B prospect for Toffoli who's not even around anymore.

• Like 1

i would value cal foote around a first + 2nd, tyler johnson  value around nothing maybe slightly less than nothing. kole lind has the  less value as cal foote right now maybe worth a 1st, we would really need to add to the lightning trade, maybe a 3rd

i would value tanner pearson around nothing, maybe slightly less than nothing

as for loui its a little harder to guess how much negative value, but to compare we would have to look at the marleau/stall trades.

marleau a 1st and 7th for a 6th. the difference between marleau his contract was able to be bought out and was for only 1 year and cap of  6.25m and 4.25 salary 

staal is a 3rd pairing defenseman and was traded for a second, only 1 year on his contract and is expected to play salary 3.2 million and cap of 5.7m

loui contract is for 2 years and cant be bought out, hes maybe a 4th liner and he might not make the team he gets traded too. salary owed over 2 years is 5 million cap 6m he can be bought out next year

i honestly think LE value is around - 2 1sts or - 1st and a - second. two years of wasted 6m  in cap

so your other  trade is way off for LE the trade would look something like pearson, loui and 2 1sts for a 7th

i would not trade loui and 2 1sts for a 7th rounder. we need those 1sts still if were serious about competing in 2 years

Edited by Petey_BOI
mistook cal foote for forward. dang brothers

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

i would value cal foote around a first + 3rd/4th, tyler johnson  value around nothing maybe slightly less than nothing. kole lind has the same/a little less value as cal foote right now, we would really need to add to the lightning trade. 

i would value tanner pearson around nothing, maybe slightly less than nothing

Boy you a tough marker on Pearson, who was on target for a 50+ pt season last year, on a good contract.......he deserves 2nd line duties.....I certainly think he has a value of more than nothing.........Pearson gets you a prospect and a pick at the TDL...........I believe

as for loui its a little harder to guess how much negative value, but to compare we would have to look at the marleau/stall trades.

marleau a 1st and 7th for a 6th. the difference between marleau his contract was able to be bought out and was for only 1 year and cap of  6.25m and 4.25 salary 

staal is a 3rd pairing defenseman and was traded for a second, only 1 year on his contract and is expected to play salary 3.2 million and cap of 5.7m

loui contract is for 2 years and cant be bought out, hes maybe a 4th liner and he might not make the team he gets traded too. salary owed over 2 years is 5 million cap 6m he can be bought out next year

i honestly think LE value is around - 2 1sts or - 1st and a - second. two years of wasted 6m  in cap

so your other  trade is way off for LE the trade would look something like pearson, loui and 2 1sts for a 7th

i would not trade loui and 2 1sts for a 7th rounder. we need those 1sts still if were serious about competing in 2 years

Edited by janisahockeynut

I am just going to say this about Tampa

They have less than 3 million bucks to sign 5 players

3 of which are due substantial raises

There are few teams that would want to take on their aging vets in general, because they have such long contracts

and most of the players that could make a difference have NTC or NMC's, which is the problem they have with Johnson

Not only that, but there are few teams that can actually take on their contracts because of their own caps being close to the Max or their internal caps

and Tampa does not want to take back salary

So, the reason they can not make the moves to free up cap is because they can't and do not have a willing trade partner at this time

Especially with solid UFA's still on the market and signing cheap, and other teams over the cap wanting to dump players as well.......aka NY Islanders, and our own Vancouver Canucks

So Tampa problems are many, and they have probably about ,,,,,,,,Sergachev @ 6 Million, Cirelli @ 5 Million and Cernak at probably around 3.5 million and that is "IF" they can

sign them for that, so by my count they are 14.5 Million - 2.8 Million current cap space = 11.7 Million short at best, and that is only 3 of the 5 they need to sign to get to the 

23 man roster.......so you can add another 2 X $800,000 or added to the 11.7 + 1.6 = 13.3 Million dollars needed

So this is going to cost them players, prospects and draft picks to get out of this...........................does anyone think Stamkos is going to voluntarily retire or go on the LTIR?

I don't, because he still can play.......................so again Tampa will pay big for this one!

So yes, they need ELC's to put on their roster, but in my Opinion, it will not be the good ones, because they are the trading chips, and they don't have that many

Does Chatfield or Jasek move the needle on a Eriksson trade............not one bit!

Hence my.........low ball offer..........and I would gladly replace Foote with Cernak "IF" we could make it work...........we can't afford it

Sorry!

Edited by janisahockeynut

Janisahockeynut i always like seeing your proposals.   They are often well thought out and very creative.   

To back up anything you’ve ever proposed - stranger things have happened then any of them.  Lopsided trades.  Ones that provide spare parts for future HHOFers (That’s you Ken Dryden...just imagine how many cups Orr and co would have had with you in net instead of having to face and lose against the original “giraffe!”. )...or Neely (ouch!!), or Naslund (yeah!)... 

All I’m going to say is LE isn’t going anywhere and I’m hoping he isn’t because we need to keep our picks.  His actual cost to the lineup right now is about 4 million in cap space.   Nobody would be bringing him up if all he cost is 2 million.   That’s what very good defensive minded vet forwards cost (at least).    So we have 4 in wasted cap space on him.   Kole Lind has untapped upside and next season looks to be a bit of a wash with Covid anyways.   Why not see if Lind can make the lineup and add something to our third line first?   You just never know with these fringe young guys - he could be a very good asset.   Yes Foote is a better prospect and yes  Tyler Johnson is a proven commodity (although he’s clearing waivers so 30 other GMs say no thx)...    

Personally I think JB best path is just to stay with who we have, use this Covid/ED season to see what we have and let the chips fall where they will.  

Why?  Because what is better.   Tie up LEs 4 million in wasted cap space with Johnson plus Foote or Cernak or whomever,  OR let the cap shed naturally- have loads of funds to re-sign our core and be in the catbirds seat once the NHL engine starts running again once LE, Beagle, Luongo and Roussel are done?  Imagine who we could add in two years!  An impact player plus plus... That’s an awesome place to be in two years with all of our core in their early-mid primes.  Don’t you think? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Almost feels like TBay & NYI's are playing a form of chicken with their souped up Ferraris, to see who blinks first.

All TBay's pending headaches vs signing Barzal, as they just got Pulock inked.

If these were 2 Cdn teams, it'd be an epic head-on, with all value whittled down to crap. League likes that.

But with it being 2 key US markets, I bet they both wriggle through some narrow crack, in this cap-wall.

If I were the Sens, would offer a Brannstrom pkg for Serg. Include a decent fwd prospect(2 ELC contracts!). How could TBay say no at this point?

On November 15, 2020 at 9:07 PM, janisahockeynut said:

But, I have not been roasted enough, so I will put it here, so you can do so.........It is ok, I am a big boy! :picard:

Trade 1

for

Kole Lind

Trade 2

for

So Trade 1, Tampa will have to do something and it will cost, I am of the belief that, they will lose 2 valueable pieces of their cup team, and the cost will be painful. IMO Vegas did not want to get rid of Schmidt, but it cost huge, in terms of value. We take the trade as it help 2 fold, first getting us a very good RHD prospect that is close to graduating (Hockey writers #53 of top 100) and secondly, it gets us Johnson who fills in for Pearson on the second line.

As with Johnson, it will cost to get rid of Eriksson, and as we obtained Johnson, we move them now....love Kole Lind, but where does he fit anyways......... we reduce cap short term. Could we afford Pearson next year....I doubt it! Johnson also plays all 3 forward positions.

We Cannot be giving up 1st rounders unless it make a difference..  Example Miller....Giving up 1st rounder when Erickson only has 2 more years...

We will get throughout this and will sign Petey and Hughes next summer...

If Benning was going to trade 1st rounder to dump Erickson it would of happened already...This will not happen.....

• Cheers 1

On 11/15/2020 at 10:07 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Trade 1

for

Kole Lind

Trade 2

for

Ha I like your style but Foote is their top prospect on the right so I dont see them giving him up on the other hand Cernak + Johnson for Rafferty would be doable .

• Cheers 1

On 11/16/2020 at 6:49 AM, IBatch said:

Janisahockeynut i always like seeing your proposals.   They are often well thought out and very creative.   

To back up anything you’ve ever proposed - stranger things have happened then any of them.  Lopsided trades.  Ones that provide spare parts for future HHOFers (That’s you Ken Dryden...just imagine how many cups Orr and co would have had with you in net instead of having to face and lose against the original “giraffe!”. )...or Neely (ouch!!), or Naslund (yeah!)... 

All I’m going to say is LE isn’t going anywhere and I’m hoping he isn’t because we need to keep our picks.  His actual cost to the lineup right now is about 4 million in cap space.   Nobody would be bringing him up if all he cost is 2 million.   That’s what very good defensive minded vet forwards cost (at least).    So we have 4 in wasted cap space on him.   Kole Lind has untapped upside and next season looks to be a bit of a wash with Covid anyways.   Why not see if Lind can make the lineup and add something to our third line first?   You just never know with these fringe young guys - he could be a very good asset.   Yes Foote is a better prospect and yes  Tyler Johnson is a proven commodity (although he’s clearing waivers so 30 other GMs say no thx)...    

Personally I think JB best path is just to stay with who we have, use this Covid/ED season to see what we have and let the chips fall where they will.  

Why?  Because what is better.   Tie up LEs 4 million in wasted cap space with Johnson plus Foote or Cernak or whomever,  OR let the cap shed naturally- have loads of funds to re-sign our core and be in the catbirds seat once the NHL engine starts running again once LE, Beagle, Luongo and Roussel are done?  Imagine who we could add in two years!  An impact player plus plus... That’s an awesome place to be in two years with all of our core in their early-mid primes.  Don’t you think? 

i do think if the canucks found away to pick up cernak. he would probably solidify our defense, hughes/cernak, juolevi/ schmidt, rathbone/myers. tryamkin maybe or rafferty, chatfield. we can’t take on more salary until enough salary is moved. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Almost feels like TBay & NYI's are playing a form of chicken with their souped up Ferraris, to see who blinks first.

All TBay's pending headaches vs signing Barzal, as they just got Pulock inked.

If these were 2 Cdn teams, it'd be an epic head-on, with all value whittled down to crap. League likes that.

But with it being 2 key US markets, I bet they both wriggle through some narrow crack, in this cap-wall.

If I were the Sens, would offer a Brannstrom pkg for Serg. Include a decent fwd prospect(2 ELC contracts!). How could TBay say no at this point?

Van could offer the same or a leaser package for Cernak Lets say Rafferty for Johnson + Cernak.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vannuck59 said:

Van could offer the same or a leaser package for Cernak Lets say Rafferty for Johnson + Cernak.

Juolevi. Just to soften the blow and I would like to see Sergachev here.

But clearing space depends on what money will be spent

Tampa is in a Gordian knot. Cirelli, Sergachev and Cernak all need new contracts with raises, they need around 10 mil in cap space for 3 have ways decent contracts. But other than that they might take a flyer on Sergachev, They trade one and are just 3 mil off signing the other two.  I would not hesitate to offer

Juolevi, Rafferty and Ferland for Sergy. Ferland because if he is LTIR it allows them to go over the cap by that much.

Of course there is always a Gaudette for Cirelli and a very late pick

The longer this goes the better the opportunity for a trade. They have to trade one of them. Unfortunately Vancouver is in cap hell so taking back moeny is almost impossible so they have to offer up decent assets in return

21 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i do think if the canucks found away to pick up cernak. he would probably solidify our defense, hughes/cernak, juolevi/ schmidt, rathbone/myers. tryamkin maybe or rafferty, chatfield. we can’t take on more salary until enough salary is moved

I agree Trade to remove salary, To Ottawa  Eriksson + Hoglander and a 2021 second round pick for Gaborik . Put Gaborik on IR with Ferland. If Ferland can play move Sutter and retain $1.5 Mil. should be enough to get by, Send Benn and Roussel down. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

I agree Trade to remove salary, To Ottawa  Eriksson + Hoglander and a 2021 second round pick for Gaborik . Put Gaborik on IR with Ferland. If Ferland can play move Sutter and retain $1.5 Mil. should be enough to get by, Send Benn and Roussel down. 

No, no, no!....lol

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 7:16 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

So here we go. Boychuk gets to HIDE his cap hit, I'll bet dollars to donuts!

I've been predicting this for mos(Hell yrs!). US teams ALWAYS get a pass, one way or the other. #riggeddeckLeague!

You definitely called it Fan.

Been reading through old posts (while waiting for news on the world juniors and on the start of NHL 2020-2021) and you've been calling it for quite a while.

Now, get to work, and predict something else interesting; only, this time, make it good news for the Nux please.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

So here we go. Boychuk gets to HIDE his cap hit, I'll bet dollars to donuts!

I've been predicting this for mos(Hell yrs!). US teams ALWAYS get a pass, one way or the other. #riggeddeckLeague!

Boychuk GETS to hide his cap hit? Come on man. Be better than that.  This is not some conspiracy to help out an American team. Boychuk suffered a gruesome eye injury and was forced to retire. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 5:07 AM, janisahockeynut said:

Trade 1

for

Kole Lind

Trade 2

for

At least you realize just how much trouble the team is in cap hell. Many fans here are never wrong but not many are even close to realistic.

This is quite a leap into the fantasy realm for you.

This is going to be a bad year, no depth, no draft picks ready to step up. Hopefully somebody uses this short year to correct some of the many mistakes this team suffers from, bad contracts, lack of draft picks, cap issues.

Even with limited cap space retention can help get a late pick on expiring contracts, there will be some vets other teams will want for a playoff run. Pearson, Sutter, are good candidates for half retention for a later pick.

That does not address how the team will be cap compliant before the season starts, burying Sven and Eriksson won't do, they would be on the taxi squad and due to the cap, they could never be called up.

Just look up Capfrendly, that is the roster. Sven gets listed in the minors and then called up to take Ferland's spot allowing the team to go over the cap be 2 mil.

With the inexperience of the defence, Green has to play the same system as last year, that allows Hughes and Stecher lean on their linemates to play defence.,

The defence will be playing all out offence leaving the goaltenders to weather the storm.

One line offence, Pettersson, Miller, Virtanen, putting all the scoring on one line and relying on the PP to provide secondary scoring.

Horvat's line, Pearson with Boeser will be the shut down line against the best players.

3rd and 4th lines will be there to not be scored on 3rd - Sutter - Eriksson - Baertschi, 4th - Beagle - Roussel - Gaudette, with Motte and MacEwen floating around

Defence will be - Edler - Myers,  Hughes - Schmidt, with variations and then a host of others, Rafferty should get first shot, best Utica defence

Just have to suck it up, it will be another bad season.

Edited by Lazurus

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

At least you realize just how much trouble the team is in cap hell. Many fans here are never wrong but not many are even close to realistic.

This is quite a leap into the fantasy realm for you.

This is going to be a bad year, no depth, no draft picks ready to step up. Hopefully somebody uses this short year to correct some of the many mistakes this team suffers from, bad contracts, lack of draft picks, cap issues.

Even with limited cap space retention can help get a late pick on expiring contracts, there will be some vets other teams will want for a playoff run. Pearson, Sutter, are good candidates for half retention for a later pick.

That does not address how the team will be cap compliant before the season starts, burying Sven and Eriksson won't do, they would be on the taxi squad and due to the cap, they could never be called up.

Just look up Capfrendly, that is the roster. Sven gets listed in the minors and then called up to take Ferland's spot allowing the team to go over the cap be 2 mil.

With the inexperience of the defence, Green has to play the same system as last year, that allows Hughes and Stecher lean on their linemates to play defence.,

The defence will be playing all out offence leaving the goaltenders to weather the storm.

One line offence, Pettersson, Miller, Virtanen, putting all the scoring on one line and relying on the PP to provide secondary scoring.

Horvat's line, Pearson with Boeser will be the shut down line against the best players.

3rd and 4th lines will be there to not be scored on 3rd - Sutter - Eriksson - Baertschi, 4th - Beagle - Roussel - Gaudette, with Motte and MacEwen floating around

Defence will be - Edler - Myers,  Hughes - Schmidt, with variations and then a host of others, Rafferty should get first shot, best Utica defence

Just have to suck it up, it will be a bad season.

that 3rd line might go down in Canuck history as the most hated line of all time.  .   .   .

by their own fans

I think the playoffs showed us that Tyler Motte has more to give than any of your bottom six, including Adam Gaudette

Edited by lmm