The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks Orca.

Rate this topic

BoKnows

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The Bruins have their own issues.   Having taken the the name from mythology from the Dutch people.  I’m sure if they play their cards right and make sure they buy clogs for underprivileged citizens, they can keep their sordid past buried.     

For us?   Won’t take long for this to whip itself into a frenzy of self righteous cancellers getting their rocks off in their mommies basements. 

I was just meaning that I wanted to offend Bruins fans in general lol!

There was zero rationale behind that statement other than I can't stand them haha

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just a $&!#ty one.

Plus thats no excuse for not doing the bare minimum and reaching out to a single artist. 

You know for a fact that not one single artist was ever approached? That the original artist himself may have reached out? Do you know these things, or are you assuming them?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not sure how you can call it a compliment if they weren't involved. Its not like its a thing of the past like Roman architecture, the art is alive and well today on the coast. 

I might be behind the 8-ball here but why would they need to be involved for it to be a compliment.  I always thought art was supposed to be open and I can be inspired by other cultures, or use their art-style.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I might be behind the 8-ball here but why would they need to be involved for it to be a compliment.  I always thought art was supposed to be open and I can be inspired by other cultures, or use their art-style.

I don't know, I've never talked to a Haida artist about it. I imagine you can hold both views at the same time, wanting the art to have new life breathed into it, but also wanting recognition when it's used. 

I do like that Bill Reid was consulted about the Orca logo (if thats accurate from 1040 today). That to me is a perfect example of how to do it right. I don't think it needs to be more complex than that, but even then there will be some people who won't like it. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

It's pretty easy. Cultural appropriation is when a dominant culture appropriates from a disadvantaged minority culture. It can be seen as exploitation of the minority culture and traditions. If the Canucks logo was made (and used) without any consultation with local indigenous community, that's likely appropriation. The scale and effects of that are up for discussion. 

On that note, everyone needs to remember this is a discussion. The logo hasn't been immediately 'cancelled' because of a few twitter posts. 

Personally, I'd love to see the Canucks reach out and request the orca be redesigned by a local indiginous artist (Salish?). 

John Marston on VI would be a dream for Logo design. 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

One was consulted in the design of our logo. Haida artist Bill Reid was consulted in the design of our logo. Non story, snowflakes can find something else to false rage about. Next. 

yup. 

Doesn't that seem like the right move? I don't blame Holtby at all for making a gaffe, he seems like a very decent guy and I like that he's taken a leadership view of it and will be doing the same thing with another artist. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

As a native person my self I took zero offence to Holtby’s mask or artist choice as it is an artist he has used for a decade now. This whole situation is ridiculous honestly and incredibly disappointed with these vocal morons harassing the Holtby’s so much his wife left twitter. 

Good job “woke” a**holes. 

I'm as white as one gets, so I don't have a personal stake in this, I just like the idea of including local artists when possible. 

I don't like the woke police, and I don't like the alt-right reaction to them, or their fight leading us all around. I don't think it needs to be rocket surgery, just maybe include people where you can. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm as white as one gets, so I don't have a personal stake in this, I just like the idea of including local artists when possible. 

I don't like the woke police, and I don't like the alt-right reaction to them, or their fight leading us all around. I don't think it needs to be rocket surgery, just maybe include people where you can. 

I don't disagree but at what point do habitually offended people move on and live their lives. Once this passes they’ll move on to the next thing that “offends” them and frankly it's tiring at best now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

i bet even if the logo is completely redesigned by a native artist, that's ok for now, but a couple of years from now somebody will be offended by that too (who knows why...), so i think it's better to completely ditch this design and just either go back to the stick in rink or come up with a completely non-offensive new, SIMPLE design (like the lightning, sharks, etc)

i wonder if the name "canucks" will ever be scrutinized; as i understand back then it was used in a derogatory manner...

Edited by Rubik
  • Cheers 1