The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Seems to me China and Russia would be encouraging the opposite.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they are trying to encourage Trump supporters to head out and gather publicly.  This will hurt the country far more in the long run than practicing safe public health policies.  

I think the propaganda the guy in the comments was referring to was that China was putting out misinformation saying the virus was much worse than it actually is so the Western Nations would shut down, leaving China open for business and dominating the world.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Russia in particular is loving the work that Trump is doing to destabilize things like the WHO, CDC, and his own nation.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dungass said:

I'm guessing you've heard the word on the street is May 15th.  I'm not sure about older students, but for the younger grades, classes will be split in two and students will attend on alternate days.  

I'm a teacher, I don't know anyone who thinks thats actually going to happen and I think we'll see major pushback from teachers and support workers.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

As depressing as it is to pile on with the bad COVID news, it appears as though the virus causes clotting problems as well:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/wellness/a-mysterious-blood-clotting-complication-is-killing-coronavirus-patients/ar-BB135WXi?li=AAggNb9

Increasingly, doctors also are reporting bizarre, unsettling cases that don’t seem to follow any of the textbooks they’ve trained on. They describe patients with startlingly low oxygen levels — so low that they would normally be unconscious or near death — talking and swiping on their phones. Asymptomatic pregnant women suddenly in cardiac arrest. Patients who by all conventional measures seem to have mild disease deteriorating within minutes and dying at home.

With no clear patterns in terms of age or chronic conditions, some scientists hypothesize that at least some of these abnormalities may be explained by severe changes in patients’ blood.

The concern is so acute some doctor groups have raised the controversial possibility of giving preventive blood thinners to everyone with covid-19 — even those well enough to endure their illness at home.

Blood clots, in which the red liquid turns gel-like, appear to be the opposite of what occurs in Ebola, Dengue, Lassa and other hemorrhagic fevers that lead to uncontrolled bleeding. But they actually are part of the same phenomenon — and can have similarly devastating consequences.

Autopsies have shown some people’s lungs fill with hundreds of microclots. Errant blood clots of a larger size can break off and travel to the brain or heart, causing a stroke or heart attack. On Saturday, Broadway actor Nick Cordero, 41, had his right leg amputated after being infected with the novel coronavirus and suffering from clots that blocked blood from getting to his toes.

More in the link....

2 hours ago, Dungass said:

I'm guessing you've heard the word on the street is May 15th.  I'm not sure about older students, but for the younger grades, classes will be split in two and students will attend on alternate days.  

That sounds almost as stupid as... well I don’t know if there’s more stupid than that.

What will happen with that is, kids will spread the virus.

PERIOD.

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't the whole country need to be flattening the curve and seeing a reduced number of cases before we could start re-opening things. Intra-provincial travel will increase risk as things become more readily available. Then you have inter-provincial travel as people from other provinces (namely Alberta) are here and will continue to come here meanwhile their province is still experiencing a lock down because things aren't where they need to be at yet over there. So your risk is increased there also. It's like gun control in the States - either you all do it to be effective or none of you do it because one state trying to limit gun crime won't have much success if the neighboring state is the wild west. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

So how is a game played with restrictions on gatherings over 50 people?  There's 42 just with players alone

Hockey is so abstract right now.

Multi millionaires wishing they could workout and play a game while doctors, nurses, and everything a city needs to function and sustain itself against one of the most contagious viruses in history, put themselves in danger every day.

Just very abstract.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

32 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

best as in we have controlled the virus to the point where we can find a way to open schools maybe partially.  But I don't want the schools to open either.

I highly doubt parents would allow their children back to school, they would not put their kids in jeopardy! 

Just now, Me_ said:

Multi millionaires wishing they could workout and play a game while doctors, nurses, and everything a city needs to function and sustain itself against one of the most contagious viruses in history, put themselves in danger every day.

Just very abstract.

Yeah, I agree.

As much as I miss sports (and I miss baseball almost as much as I miss hockey) it's so far down my list of concerns right now, I can't really even get behind the discussion.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As depressing as it is to pile on with the bad COVID news, it appears as though the virus causes clotting problems as well:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/wellness/a-mysterious-blood-clotting-complication-is-killing-coronavirus-patients/ar-BB135WXi?li=AAggNb9

More in the link....

Yes.  There was a guy that amputated his leg due to clotting problems after contracting Covid-19. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/20/actor-nick-cordero-has-leg-amputated-because-of-covid-19/amp/

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Guy To Travel Around Florida Dressed As The Grim Reaper To The Beaches That Opened Prematurely

beaches-reopen-grim-reaper-1-5ea133ebc85f3__700.jpg

:lol:

With the non self-distancing douche team taking pictures.

Damn that’s typical.

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Just very abstract.

People need sports in times like these more than ever. It’s healthy to take your mind off of the doom and gloom for a few hours. And sports is a way to do that for a lot of people including doctors and nurses.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2