The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, stawns said:

are you f***ing with us right now?  No one is that obtuse

Oh yes they are. Here in Calgary we have a larger-than-anyone-would-like hardline right following and they are very vocal. Exaggerations of "communist rule" are sickeningly common. 

I tell ya, as far as my family's safety here in Canada, I'm far more concerned about this group of people and the mentality they represent as opposed to virtually any other group of any sort - possibly including external terrorists. These are the people who hold a country back from progressing from a sociological perspective, all the while ignorantly and dangerously believing they have the answers, and that everyone else is wrong if they don't share their same values. Yes, the "Us vs them" movement is alive and well.

Could be worse. Could be the States. There its a way of life for much of the country.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Oh yes they are. Here in Calgary we have a larger-than-anyone-would-like hardline right following and they are very vocal. Exaggerations of "communist rule" are sickeningly common. 

I tell ya, as far as my family's safety here in Canada, I'm far more concerned about this group of people and the mentality they represent as opposed to virtually any other group of any sort - possibly including external terrorists. These are the people who hold a country back from progressing from a sociological perspective, all the while ignorantly and dangerously believing they have the answers, and that everyone else is wrong if they don't share their same values. Yes, the "Us vs them" movement is alive and well.

Could be worse. Could be the States. There its a way of life for much of the country.

hmm and i thought Canadians were smarter than that. pack them up and throw them across the border where they will fit in nicely!

30 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So what would you call the current US model

Messed up.  Trump is a clear outlier.  A neo-liberal with fascist qualities. The vote for him was ironically anti-neoliberal in my view - anti-global.   That is why Sanders probably could have beat him as many have suggested and polling did as well - I don't know.  

The left and right are both neo-liberal just that the right disguises it better under the guise of religion and 'american values'.   The left definitely like to use the courts.

I think if this had happened say under Obama and Bush that their responses would have been pretty much the same.   A moderate sustained lockdown more similar to Canada then say countries like Spain or France.   

Edited by samurai

This has been posted but I think some free thinkers out there need to be reminded.

Some guy in Florida who thought it was a hoax lost his wife to Covid-19: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53892856

Texas man who though covid was a hoax dies: https://globalnews.ca/news/7169518/coronavirus-covid-party-death-hoax/

New Zealand was mentioned, they shut 'er down a couple of times, huge penalties, made it law essentially to follow the guidelines, now they have a whopping 60 cases currently and in total have had 360cases/1M population (Canada 3,600/1M; France 6000/1M; USA 20 000/1M).

99.99% of people wear seatbelts, are they all blind sheep? Do seat belts infringe on freedoms? Or is it that seat belts will directly benefit the user, not necessarily those in close proximity? Food for thought.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, bree2 said:

hmm and i thought Canadians were smarter than that. pack them up and throw them across the border where they will fit in nicely!

You must have missed the coverage of the Anti Mask, anti Vax, QAnon et al group that was protesting in front of the Art Gallery in Vancouver this weekend.  There had to be over 200 people or more, I was shocked at the size of the group.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Latest Twitter tweet i see....

Can someone tell me what these layers of protection are or can we stop the BS and be honest. My class is full. The kids cannot distance. No masks. Kids sneezing and coughing. Poor ventilation. But yes we have a sink and hand sanitizer. Let’s be honest please. #bced
  • Vintage 2

And.... here it starts..

Check out BC on the map.   2 schools now with Covid  and schools opened 3 days ago.  Dr. B and Horgan  reduced social distancing rules and did not require masks for the students. 

https://masks4canada.org/canada-covid-19-school-case-tracker/?fbclid=IwAR1F3HZMRR7WJFS-BmdMlW2G6MCUl0YYSxzkRZmIDB8yrOuAMTYtMyUJJo0

Edited by kingofsurrey

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

And.... here it starts..

Check out BC on the map.   2 schools now with Covid  and schools opened 3 days ago.  Dr. B and Horgan  reduced social distancing rules and did not require masks for the students. 

https://masks4canada.org/canada-covid-19-school-case-tracker/?fbclid=IwAR1F3HZMRR7WJFS-BmdMlW2G6MCUl0YYSxzkRZmIDB8yrOuAMTYtMyUJJo0

I heard the windows were closed today too - due to smoke

Spoke to multiple teachers today that were disappointed school was not cancelled today due to conflicting recommendations 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

And.... here it starts..

Still don’t get why people like Bonnie Henry so much.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Still don’t get why people like Bonnie Henry so much.  

People are sheep and the BC mainstream media is terrible.   Our media here in BC basically write fluff articles supporting whichever party is in power in BC.

Covid rates are up 1000 % as of late due to poor policy by Dr. B and the NDP.      BC's lack of mandatory masks in public places is simply incomprehensible. 

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

And.... here it starts..

Let's be honest kos, because the government certainly isn't, they absolutely know that covid will be present in schools - and they are 100% ok with that.  They know that their measures are pitiful and virtually useless against the way which this virus transmits but at this point, the majority of parents are fine with it as well and the government has little pressure on them to do anything except exactly what they are doing right now which, as I mentioned, is virtually nothing.  They are placing the youth of BC and those that work with them DIRECTLY into harms way and, like generals in a military conflict, they seem perfectly ok with the impending inevitable casualties which will result. 

I recently spoke with a neighbor of mine while doing some yard work and both of his kids are in high school.  As parents, they have been informed by school administration that when an outbreak occurs, they will not be notified unless their kids sat beside someone who tested positive.  Neither the class of the student who tested positive, nor the cohort of the infected person would be required to stay home. 

As said, the government, including the ministry of health and ministry of education, KNOW that covid will be present in schools soon, and they are ok with it. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Let's be honest kos, because the government certainly isn't, they absolutely know that covid will be present in schools - and they are 100% ok with that.  They know that their measures are pitiful and virtually useless against the way which this virus transmits but at this point, the majority of parents are fine with it as well and the government has little pressure on them to do anything except exactly what they are doing right now which, as I mentioned, is virtually nothing.  They are placing the youth of BC and those that work with them DIRECTLY into harms way and, like generals in a military conflict, they seem perfectly ok with the impending inevitable casualties which will result. 

I recently spoke with a neighbor of mine while doing some yard work and both of his kids are in high school.  As parents, they have been informed by school administration that when an outbreak occurs, they will not be notified unless their kids sat beside someone who tested positive.  Neither the class of the student who tested positive, nor the cohort of the infected person would be required to stay home. 

As said, the government, including the ministry of health and ministry of education, KNOW that covid will be present in schools soon, and they are ok with it. 

I thought that the NDP party would actually care about the safety / health of BC workers and students.   Of course, you are right though in your analysis.  I was naive to expect anything more / better from the NDP. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

Don't know how other schools went but the school my kids went to, every kid in my kids class had a mask on.  They sanitized their hand before they went into the classroom.  They kept masks pretty much all day except lunch and recess.  Social distancing in playground area monitored by staff.

So far so good.

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

Don't know how other schools went but the school my kids went to, every kid in my kids class had a mask on.  They sanitized their hand before they went into the classroom.  They kept masks pretty much all day except lunch and recess.  Social distancing in playground area monitored by staff.

So far so good.

30 students  in a poorly ventilated room for 3 hours and no social distancing occuring sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

27 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

We got lucky in the beginning with spring break and everyone lost their minds. 

It wasn’t just luck. We as a society did a great job at treating this pandemic as a serious threat. When we did that, our case curve flattened, but then we got got complacent. 

The big problem now is that the vigilance in March that made us be so ‘ahead of the curve’ has gone by the wayside. 

The fact that we’re breaking records in Phase 3 and not getting the stringent actions by the govt(including Dr. Henry) shows a complacency by not only our members of society, but also, and more importantly, by our provincial governmental leader as well as our provincial health doctors. 

We had this thing under control and now our appeasement to economical factors is putting us all at risk again. 

Dr. Henry needs to go HAM now or our numbers will get over 200 cases per day in days. 

Our 2nd wave is going to be a cluster&^@# the way we’re going. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

Official nightmare #bced. Riddle me this: What other BC profession has been directed to remain in poorly ventilated room, windows closed, 29 people 1/2 m apart, masks optional, for 3 hours? Then, after 100s mixing at lunch, repeat with another 15. WTH?

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

So far so good.

Thankfully my kid’s class has 6 kids in them( The class was broken up into like 4/5 to ensure social distancing) It’s a private school and they’ve done an amazing job in limiting class sizes, sanitation, mandatory masks for parents/visitors/teachers and letting kids wear masks too, from Kindergarten up. 

I feel fortunate, but I’ll continue to advocate/support for all of those in the public schools who don’t have the same benefits as my kid going through a pandemic. It’s simply unconscionable that any kid/teacher is in school without better protection.   

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

30 students  in a poorly ventilated room for 3 hours and no social distancing occuring sounds like a recipe for disaster. 

We will see.

The recent case in Surrey (Johnston Heights secondary) sounds like it was brought in by an adult rather than a student.

So far no cases (that I am aware of...so correct me if I'm wrong) from students in BC.

October/November will be the true test.  As we enter Flu season.  I'm told that a Doctor's note is required kids to re-enter school after they get sick.