The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, stawns said:

A member of our staff found a source for kn95 masks and we made a bulk order..........out of our own pockets, of course.

Tried to get work to order a bunch. They said no.  So with having had 4 people with it I said I won't be coming into the office area until things calm down. I can do my job without seeing my coworkers. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

13 hours ago, JM_ said:

thats your take. I'm glad we've had her here. No leader has handled covid perfectly. 

Early in the pandemic, Bonnie was fantastic and did a lot to comfort people. Her compassion won people over and we didn't have much science to go on. She did a good job early, but that era is over now that we have science to prove what health measures work. Like wearing N95 masks in the hospital.

We now have plenty of information to go on, and her plan doesn't make sense. None of her recent recommendations are on par with best practices around the world. She currently is among the bottom 3 in the world for health policy. 

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Except fitness centers have been the source of massive outbreaks across the country over the last two years.

I feel bad for the gyms and gym users - another policy gone wrong. Do you send gym owners home with pay on another lockdown, or help them upgrade their ventilation? After yet another lockdown is done, they will STILL have to upgrade the ventilation. I don't know what this gov was waiting for. They had plenty of time. What a waste of money that could have been put into ventilation and people continuing their workout routines. I feel the same way about schools. They could do like other countries and improve the ventilation. We deserve better decision making.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Early in the pandemic, Bonnie was fantastic and did a lot to comfort people. Her compassion won people over and we didn't have much science to go on. She did a good job early, but that era is over now that we have science to prove what health measures work. Like wearing N95 masks in the hospital.

We now have plenty of information to go on, and her plan doesn't make sense. None of her recent recommendations are on par with best practices around the world. She currently is among the bottom 3 in the world for health policy. 

I feel bad for the gyms and gym users - another policy gone wrong. Do you send gym owners home with pay on another lockdown, or help them upgrade their ventilation? After yet another lockdown is done, they will STILL have to upgrade the ventilation. I don't know what this gov was waiting for. They had plenty of time. What a waste of money that could have been put into ventilation and people continuing their workout routines. I feel the same way about schools. They could do like other countries and improve the ventilation. We deserve better decision making.

I doubt the best ventilation system money can buy wouldn't stop omicron in a packed fitness centre with people exercising.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

I doubt the best ventilation system money can buy wouldn't stop omicron in a packed fitness centre with people exercising.

54 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Agreed 100% its funny you can still have hockey practice, boxing gyms open, olympians allowed to train in facilities. But I guess omicron doesn't spread there. 

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

13 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Woke up feeling gross (hangover like) this morning. I don’t know if it’s from my booster or just a coincidence.

The day after my booster, I felt like I weighed 1000 lbs.  I wasn't sick, just bone tired

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, AbbyNux said:

But that's not for Flurona. There will be a new dose for that. 

Are you serious??? There's a new strain called flurona? As in a cross between the flu and covid???

Lmao I want off this ride.

I made a comment in the Seattle gdt or pgt saying boeser was out with the flu and that gained some negative feedback and my reply was that the flu and covid were basically the same thing (especially omicron, not so much delta) and that was received much worse

Guess I wasn't that wrong after all.

Time to get back to normal. 88% of cases these days are double jabbed. It's mutating into the flu. Look at how the states is doing. Bonnie and Mr dicks need to retire.

• RoughGame 1

Ontario hospitalizations continue to shoot up.  We were at 220 a little over 2 weeks ago now almost 2100, up almost 800 from yesterday.  ICU cases continue to climb at an increasingly rapid pace.

Case counts are not comparable to previous because of restrictions on who can get tested now.

• Thanks 2

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Time to get into back country skiing then.  Perfect isolation activity.

thats the plan for us if they cancel the season again. Which I think is coming, I can't see how they keep the local hills open. 

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Ontario hospitalizations continue to shoot up.  We were at 220 a little over 2 weeks ago now almost 2100, up almost 800 from yesterday.  ICU cases continue to climb at an increasingly rapid pace.

Case counts are not comparable to previous because of restrictions on who can get tested now.

How close is ON to the ICUs being at full capacity? 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

The estimate from November was that we can carry 300 COVID cases in ICU without disrupting the health care system significantly, we hit 288 today.

By stopping elective procedures and surgery that increases ICU/Critical care capacity up to 1200-1500 potentially in worst case scenario.

Critical care isn't my area though so these are best I could really see.

wow. So ICU staff also need to figure out how manage 4X more patients than their usual work load. What happens to the quality of the usual ICU work load from accidents, surgical recovery, etc.? 

I wonder if anyone has a plan on how to deal with the surgical backlog once the wave passes. 

Just now, JM_ said:

wow. So ICU staff also need to figure out how manage 4X more patients than their usual work load. What happens to the quality of the usual ICU work load from accidents, surgical recovery, etc.? 

I wonder if anyone has a plan on how to deal with the surgical backlog once the wave passes. 

Well by pausing non-essential surgeries, the non-COVID cohort in ICU will be way down so they really shouldn't be managing that degree of increased patient load.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Well by pausing non-essential surgeries, the non-COVID cohort in ICU will be way down so they really shouldn't be managing that degree of increased patient load.

makes sense. I learned a lot about the ICU a few years ago when my dad developed a fistula and sepsis after a botched hernia operation. He was in there for nearly 6 months, I got to know the staff really well. 

• Huggy Bear 1