The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

16 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I don't believe the restrictions are doing anything measurable at this point, but I guess some people are wary of the government looking like they've totally lost the handle on it.  Understandable after two years of public programming on the front.  But realistically?  Ehhh...

Delta is minuscule now and has all been replaced by omicron from what data I've seen on it, so that's good.

all you have to do is compare canada to the US to see if restrictions are doing anything.

hint, they are

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Have our lives changed that much?  Other than the needless cancelling of important surgeries (since vaccines were available) because of antivaxxers, our lives didn’t change much at all.  Washing hands, and respecting other people’s personal space is something we should be doing anyway.  And wearing a mask for a few mi utes while shopping isn’t a big life altering event.

Prob. enough to contribute to the negative effects on people's mental health as well-measured by now.

Just now, stawns said:

all you have to do is compare canada to the US to see if restrictions are doing anything.

hint, they are

Bill Maher (sanctimonious, I know) just had an episode where they compared Florida to NY.  The results were pretty on-par, considering the different rules being applied.

Just now, TOMapleLaughs said:

Bill Maher (sanctimonious, I know) just had an episode where they compared Florida to NY.  The results were pretty on-par, considering the different rules being applied.

let'snot use Bill Maher as an example of anything but an annoying turd. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Likely loosening up recruitment and accreditation.

But I'd also expect various advancements in efficiency so that the health system isn't as bogged down by systematic over-users.

Do you have data to support your assertion our healthcare system is “bogged down by systematic over-users”?  

Because there’s an abundance of data the current troubles are caused by antivaxxers (adults) refusing these vaccines and ending up needlessly in hospital.  

2 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I think the investment will come in terms of applying two-tier healthcare on a scale unseen in Canada since the implementation of public healthcare.

Not that it will be resisted by the public.  The public will embrace it because the current system as awash with futility.

That a meager amount of icu beds being occupied could 'collapse the system' being a story for this long all but assures that imho.

It would end public health completely 

There are only so many specialized staff to fill.the hospitals and the public hospitals simply couldn't compete with the private aide. 

The private side can pay more.as they simply pass.that cost on to the patient 

I'd hate to see canada become.like the USA where a credit card is what directs your level of care and people go bankrupt.getting care

There is many frustrating issues with our healthcare system and a generation of starving it if funding has really made it crumble

One of the first priorities must be in the training and recruitment of new staff.  Healthcare workers the world over are burnt out and fed up with the low pay for the work and rhe workload.  Private or public won't matter if we don't have.any staff to work

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

And New York has winter weather with Florida in summer.weather.

Stats are clear and even here every summer our numbers go way down. If we.had Arizona Temps year round we would have lower numbers as well 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, but he's a dem mouthpiece.  Noted how it's weird that 50% of dems believe that omicron will send them to the hospital, but the data doesn't come close to substantiating that.  So there's questions to be had on policy and perception at this point I think.

But do I mind vax passports myself?  No, not really.  It limits capacities of venues that might have been uncomfortably overcrowded otherwise.

And masks?  I dunno.  They're a nuisance, but I'm not making a capital case about them.  I do miss seeing attractive people smile in public though.  I think the lack of seeing this takes a toll on you.

And the no-fun police approach?  Well keep it in place if you want to alienate the youth forever I guess.

2 minutes ago, Magicwords said:

And New York has winter weather with Florida in summer.weather.

Stats are clear and even here every summer our numbers go way down. If we.had Arizona Temps year round we would have lower numbers as well 

Interesting.  I was told that warm weather should not have made a diff.  But that was reddit.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I've definitely made the suggestion before.  I'd just rather make things easier for him and harder for the trolls.

not sure it would stop our resident academic gene splicer with 1000 faces. He seems to have a full quiver of aliases with 100 or so posts. What a waste of time. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Magicwords said:

It would end public health completely 

There are only so many specialized staff to fill.the hospitals and the public hospitals simply couldn't compete with the private aide. 

The private side can pay more.as they simply pass.that cost on to the patient 

I'd hate to see canada become.like the USA where a credit card is what directs your level of care and people go bankrupt.getting care

There is many frustrating issues with our healthcare system and a generation of starving it if funding has really made it crumble

One of the first priorities must be in the training and recruitment of new staff.  Healthcare workers the world over are burnt out and fed up with the low pay for the work and rhe workload.  Private or public won't matter if we don't have.any staff to work

I don't think we'd allow that and besides our taxes are high for this purpose.

26 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

It's misleading. The first wave hit NYC like no place in US. No one knew how bad it was because there were no readily available tests, and Drs didn't have the knowledge or tools to treat it like we do more recently.  Many died without getting any treatment becuase hospitals were all overwhelmed. Lack of PPE too, over 20 staff died in my hospital. That skewed the data on fatality for sure. If you just look at my hospital system, it never got as bad as the first wave or as rapid, because people took it seriously and all the public health measures were in place.   We never had to convert lecture halls into beds after the first wave.  No tents outside the hospital for triage, no refrigerator morgue trucks outside. 

Screenshot_20220128-195521~2.png

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I agree, but he's a dem mouthpiece.  Noted how it's weird that 50% of dems believe that omicron will send them to the hospital, but the data doesn't come close to substantiating that.  So there's questions to be had on policy and perception at this point I think.

But do I mind vax passports myself?  No, not really.  It limits capacities of venues that might have been uncomfortably overcrowded otherwise.

And masks?  I dunno.  They're a nuisance, but I'm not making a capital case about them.  I do miss seeing attractive people smile in public though.  I think the lack of seeing this takes a toll on you.

And the no-fun police approach?  Well keep it in place if you want to alienate the youth forever I guess.

I feel like you think everyone is enjoying the restrictions.  We're not, at all

• Vintage 3

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do you have data to support your assertion our healthcare system is “bogged down by systematic over-users”?  

Because there’s an abundance of data the current troubles are caused by antivaxxers (adults) refusing these vaccines and ending up needlessly in hospital.  

It's an assertion based on anecdotal evidence and reasonably it makes sense as there are a lot of simply unhealthy people going to the hospital because that's become their lifestyle.  But feel free to discard that opinion.

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

It's misleading. The first wave hit NYC like no place in US. No one knew how bad it was because there were no readily available tests, and Drs didn't have the knowledge or tools to treat it like we do more recently.  Many died without getting any treatment becuase hospitals were all overwhelmed.  That skewed the data on fatality for sure. If you just look at my hospital system, it never got as bad as the first wave or as rapid, because people took it seriously and all the public health measures were in place.   We never had to convert lecture halls into beds after the first wave.  No tents outside the hospital for triage, no refrigerator morgue trucks outside. 

Screenshot_20220128-195521~2.png

I'm just not sure if the US public is seeing it that way.

1 hour ago, Hogs & Podz said:

"These people"... That's the problem... This guy that yelled at your daughter and YOU (in this state) are the problem.  Both emotional and acting out in extreme measures.  I understand you're angry that that &^@#er yelled and intimidated your daughter... I get it, I would be to... But 'those people' is just as wrong.  There are bad apples in both sides... But most of us are rational Canadians that have at times some varying beliefs and that's okay.

Regardless, I hope your daughters okay.  Give her a hug.

I'm ok with "those people".  Unlike actual minorities, they have a choice.

• Thanks 1